myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Boom Repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thombiz you are amazing but it seems like it would be easier to find a different brand's 2pin collars that is the same or slightly larger tube diameter, for all the brands you just shove the collar over the tube, not much variation.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I tried to find clips using the dimensions I got from my boom, but it turned out to be hard to achieve results because in many cases the vendors just did not have highly specific measurements,.....for example .....what is the diameter of the pins and how far center to center are they? The vendor could tell me what boom they were created for but not the specific dimensions so once I actually had a set of clips in my hands, it was easier to modify them than to keep chasing those that just might be a perfect match. That is one of the reasons I wanted to document my experiences....to save the reader's time and money and frustration when the clips they buy turn out to not be a perfect match for their boom. Increasing the interior diameter of the clip barrels was far from an easy task, but it did achieve perfectly acceptable results. It is information I thought the original poster needed.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Thombiz and yes you were right the New Streamlined boom ends are 26.5mm ID and my Streamlined boom is 28.75mm OD hardly a match. The whole point of buying Streamlined is that they would fit. I noticed the old Chinook boom ends are 28mm but before I decide what to do I am going to visit Joe Ray at Daveport Surfsail. He has lots of old and new parts and we shall see if I can find a match. Otherwise your solution will work and since carbon booms are $800 or more it may be worth it.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any luck finding adjustment clips with two pins to directly replace the single pin clips on those early small Streamlined booms?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: