myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Techno 160 opinions/reviews?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Bic Techno 160 opinions/reviews? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my light wind board to a newer model.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used 2007 Bic Techo 160.

I've searched the net for reviews and found very little on this board.

This has left me wondering if this is a 'well-liked' board or not.

Can anyone with direct experience on this board offer their 'unbiased opinion'?

If it helps, I'm an advance bigger with a sail quiver of 6.0, 7.0, 8.5. Sailing my 7.0 mostly in 10-15Kts.

Thanks in Advance.
TonyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction on my initial post;
If it helps, I'm an advanced beginner (novice?) with a sail quiver of 6.0, 7.0, 8.5. Sailing my 7.0 mostly in 10-15Kts.

Thanks again.
razdog00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a blue techno 148 Large for six years and I love everything about it. I weigh 200 and it drives up on a plane as soon as the whitecaps are above hint level, on a 7.5. I would recommend one of these boards for you. Sounds like the 160 might be too big to handle in higher winds ith chop. I can ride my 148 in up to 20+ knots without problem. They have been using the same board for the big caribbean HIHO for years now - it is a classic design. I'd hold out for that since there are a lot of them out there.

Good luck!
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an advanced sailor, and bought a Nova 165 for my kids to learn on and for a light wind (9.0) board for myself. It is the same shape as Bic 160, but heavier construction and padded deck. I sailed it with a 7.5 in marginal winds the other day, and the board was very nice. Extremely easy to jibe, pretty smooth in choppy waters. I thought would be perfect for advancing beginner, 6.5 to 9.5 sail size. Felt good right away, nothing to get used to. dhmark
lumpthenolegdog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slightly older BIC Techno 283 cm 158 L are the boards that my club uses to introduce people to shortboarding. Classically, the BIC Techno is known as one of the revolutionary boards in windsurfing. These are the boards I learned to shortboard on 4 years ago and I still love them. Not ideal in really heavy chop but when it's blowing 7.0 or 6.0 offshore with flat water, I absolutely love it. It planes relatively easily, jibes great (what I learned/am learning to jibe on) and can even go upwind decently. I'd give it a solid 9/10 at least, maybe even a 10. It also has a central mounting for the back footstrap if under the padding, if I recall correctly. So if the original straps feel too outboard, there is always that option. Great board all in all though, I'd highly recommend it, especially if you're going to be sailing in those light planing conditions.
jamm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bic techno 125 medium and it was my advanced beginner board. I liked it, but the foot strap position was problematic for me. I couldn't get into my foot straps until I bought an RRD wave board. Instantly the RRD solved the foot strap problem because the straps were positioned more on the center of the board and not as much toward the rail. Still, I think the bic goes upwind really well, and I've been told by the guy at Brian's windsurfing (gorge) there is still a market for these boards.
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Bic Techno Feedback Reply with quote

Based upon weight and ability, I would go with a 145 Bic.

If you can get planing on a 160 you can easily go a size down, will
be much better in chop too. I had a 160 Naish Icon and went down to a 145 Tabou Rocket for lighter winds, 145 is way faster and better in chop with very little adjusments needed. The 145 helped me bridge the gap to smaller boards and now I own a 120 and and a 107.

Two of my friends have the BIC Technos and love them!

Good luck.

-Rocket Man
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
Correction on my initial post;
If it helps, I'm an advanced beginner (novice?) with a sail quiver of 6.0, 7.0, 8.5. Sailing my 7.0 mostly in 10-15Kts.

Thanks again.

If you're sailing a 7.0 in 10-15 knots you're probably a midweight sailor (how much do you weigh?) and I'd agree with the post recommending a slightly smaller Techno. I own the Techno 153, weigh 165 lbs, and have sailed the board from 6.0 to 9.8 (I'm an advanced sailor but that's perspective on what the board will carry.)

Technos are great boards for your skill level...forgiving yet they will respond to technique as you improve. Resilient as well, except beware of dropping the mast on the nose...noses on Technos are prone to break from mast impacts (mine never has, but I've heard others comment.)

leosaede

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2006 technoII that I bought new last year and it was great to learn on with 6.5. I'm 165lbs and use it for a light wind board now. With a 10 meter sail and a little pumping I can plane in 10~ 11 mph winds ( beats sailing a beach chair) I've sailed it in 20+ with a 5.5 and it was a hand full. It slaps a little (wide and very little rocker) but it is still fun on light wind days if I had your skill when I bought it I would have gotten the 148 or smaller. Just my 2 cents
*Matt*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Bic Technos 160, 148 and 133. They are bullet proof, light and plane easy. I sail the 160 with 8.0 and 6.5 and switch to the 133 at 5.5. It is really stable and easy to tack (unlike the 133, which sinks the nose if you are slow in the tack).

If you have inconsistent wind it is great.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: