myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Great lakes wave sailing on a Kona one? Other board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of no help on the waterstarting issue. Just chiming in to express my hope you will be able to keep the Kona One, if you also get a shortboard. We have the best class system for one design racing with sail sizes limited to the weight range a sailor fits into. I also really enjoy windsurfing a Kona on light & medium wind days.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
for one design racing
I was not a fan of the one design rigs I got to say; that's some 15 years ago though. I felt the Kona One really delivered with cammed race sails 7.0 to 9.0.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
DelCarpenter wrote:
for one design racing
I was not a fan of the one design rigs I got to say; that's some 15 years ago though. I felt the Kona One really delivered with cammed race sails 7.0 to 9.0.

The Kona One rigs from 2006 were all 7.4 and quite less developed than the same 7.4 of today, plus the other sizes. Of course, the rig is a compromise designed entirely for equal performance across the weight divisions in nearly all conditions. The weakest part isn’t the sail but aluminum booms in such long lengths. Swapping to carbon booms supercharges the rig. A 100% carbon mast boosts performance similarly. For pure stability, of course, nothing beats a dedicated race sail, and the Kona One really flies so equipped. You’re right about that!

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Kona ONE and now I have an Exocet WindSUP 11'8. The Kona ONE should be fun to sail in the great lakes, and is a good all-conditions board to learn waterstarting and stuff with. My only complaints were that it was kind of slow to plane, and the boxy rails and rockerline made it a bit "log like" in the waves as compared to the surfier shape of the WindSUP. It's also not very stable for SUP use in choppy water, especially compared to the 10 cm wider and lower-decked WindSUP 11'8. I've never tried the 10'0 WindSUP but I've often thought that it would be a great one for short period waves
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
jpf18 wrote:
DelCarpenter wrote:
for one design racing

The Kona One rigs from 2006 were all 7.4 and quite less developed than the same 7.4 of today
No need to fast forward to 2020 - the Kona OD rigs were quite basic compared to anything available at the time. Hence my reference to race sails... I was under the impression that how the Kona cllass OD sail design turned out had a lot to do with the failure rate of Formula masts at the time.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasaga is typically onshore to side on with fairly short period and relentless waves.
It is fairly shallow far out so you need to learn to waterstart as mentioned, it would be extremely difficult to uphaul in those waves. It is difficult even for experienced sailors to head out on 20+ knots days.
We usually sail full on multifins there to quickly head upwind away from all the relentless breaking waves.
Conditions on Georgian bay like most Great Lakes will be big very quickly (mast high by 30+ knots) on the outside and hip to head high near shore.
Think ocean waves with short periods, not your usual small lakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: