myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterbelden

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Candlestick Reply with quote

Saw one person sailing at Candlestick today around 4pm which was encouraging but amazingly there was about zero street parking available. It was wall to wall campers and a few cars and it appeared they had been parked there for weeks, garbage strewn around. It looks like the shoulder where windsurfers typically park has turned into a trailer park. I drove by kind of quickly so may have missed something but it was pretty surprising. Perhaps the threat of parking enforcement has been temporarily lifted and thus there are cars there. Is it possible to launch from the other (southwestern) side (by 101) of the sailing area, the place where one ends before jibing to head back to the parking lots? We all seem to park and sail from Candlestick but with that area not apparently full of campers I wonder if one could sail from the 101 side. I haven't been on the water since SIP but now that it sounds like 3rd may open up and Sherman open I was thinking about heading out.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Berts post from where we sailed page 290.
The place has been like that for months now.
bert

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually isn't as bad as it looks. Just double park by the launch zone to drop off your gear, then find a place to park your car/van on the other side of the road. Seems that the cops no longer care to enforce parking rules at this point in time..though that may change. The campers haven't been an issue at all and are just trying to live and exist as best they can..

For you Candlestick regulars..Old Iron Man Fred told me last week (Wednesday) that Jackie passed away at the Stick while sailing 20 years ago on this day. After my wing practice I walked up the hill to David Rea's memorial plaque to find that he too passed away in the year 2000..how time flies.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jacqui passed away about 10 years ago. I was there that day and helped pull her out of the water. Well, my friends and I did about 1% of the work... Juan swam her to shore and did 99% while the rest of us were hanging out on shore filming and oblivious to the situation.

Such a sweet lady.

Regarding Stick, it's not so bad. We just park on the opposite side of the street now. Fewer people in the park itself, and the wind has been fantastic.

Only bottleneck is getting through the gap in the RVs and over the fence w/ your gear. Sometimes you have to wait a few seconds, so you can keep your distance from other people rigging up or coming and going.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
peterbelden

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Candlestick Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to venture back out when the wind returns. And I'll just hope that the little bay by Candlestick is big enough to dilute whatever blackwater may be draining in from the RVs. Sigh.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Candlestick Reply with quote

peterbelden wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to venture back out when the wind returns. And I'll just hope that the little bay by Candlestick is big enough to dilute whatever blackwater may be draining in from the RVs. Sigh.

the black water is a big concern. while the city is not enforcing any parking restrictions at Da Stick, I'm sure any dumping into the bay may be a different deal. that said, it doesn't smell any better or worse there right now.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was that outflow from the little creek by the bridge
at the launch point I alway used to wonder what that was.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Black Water Reply with quote

I thought 3rd Ave has a pretty unique set of charms:

Rotten egg smell at low tide;
Waist deep mud at low tide;
Buried clams to lacerate your feet;
Cheese grater waiting should you get swept below the bridge;
Croaking frogs;

But Candlestick is a whole 'nother level. Black Water... You really gotta luv windsurfing to put up with that.
bert

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last week doing more flailing than winging in the typical Stick gusts , got tossed and inadvertently slurped some of the water just past the pier..Still alive and no intestinal cramping so far Shocked
mac

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested, you can get close to real-time information here:

https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/sso/sso_map/sso_pub.shtml

Sewage collection and treatment is actually very good, and human waste in a conventional sense is well handled except during heavy rains and blocks from things like roots and wipes.

Urban “slobber” is another matter. Runoff from untreated areas gets carried to the water in different ways. Overall, things are dramatically cleaner than they were when I started windsurfing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: