myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyotee closing time - 5 pm, please send your comments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Coyotee closing time - 5 pm, please send your comments Reply with quote

As of last Friday 4-2 -2021 they are still closing Coyotee at 5 pm.
If you are OK with that that then please do nothing.
But if you are not then please send en email to San Mateo County Parks
voicing your opposition to ridiculous early closing time.
Park should be opened at least until 8 pm now if not later.
Email is ParksandRecreation@smcgov.org .
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't sail there much so what happens if you are in the park at 5? Does the staff come by and kick you out or is it like many parks where you just can't get in after 5pm?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Coyotee closing time - 5 pm, please send your comments Reply with quote

windpio wrote:
As of last Friday 4-2 -2021 they are still closing Coyotee at 5 pm.
If you are OK with that that then please do nothing.
But if you are not then please send en email to San Mateo County Parks
voicing your opposition to ridiculous early closing time.
Park should be opened at least until 8 pm now if not later.
Email is ParksandRecreation@smcgov.org .

Thanks, I sent an e-mail and received this reply:

"The Parks closing time will remain at 5 p.m. until April 16 at which time park hours will be extended to 6 p.m. Recruitment to fill seasonal staff positions is underway and we expect to be move to regular seasonal hours by May 1."

It looks like they actually do not necessarily go around and check and kick you out, but just close the gates. I talked with Roland, wingy guy, and he said that he needed to call the Park service to be "liberated". Alternatively bring a Tent and you can enjoy the Park as you please!

Thankfully April to June is my Crissy season! Yesterday it was good and today a replay!
madmanex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to complain, then call the San Mateo County Parks Supervisor, Scott Lombardi, directly at (650) 255-9924. He is the one who made the decision regarding the continuance of the 5PM closing time. I spoke with him by phone back in mid-March (and also posted the details on this forum!). Scott informed me that they had a hiring freeze due to the challenges of recruiting and bringing on new staff during the pandemic. He also told me that the hiring freeze was lifted in early March and they expected to be able to bring on enough seasonal staff to extend the closing hours by mid April.

I also do not like the early closing time, but I understand the challenges of operating during the pandemic.
windpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question why they have to close at all.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windpio wrote:

Usual reasons: you do not want people to spend the night in a "Urban" county Park. But in general all Parks nationwide, federal, state and county, operate on limited daylight hours access, and if you stay overnight it is by permit. So to enforce that if you are short of staff you need to close more ... see Candlestick Park, it has been closed seemingly for years ...

A Park is different from Federal land where you can go in to your content, with no limitations (unless there is an ordinance of closure. e.g. during a fire, or you one of those jerks who want to drill or cut down trees. Shocked )
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windpio wrote:

Liability issues. Coyote likely has a policy requiring every sailor be returned to the park before closing. Years ago I was a regular at Coyote. I remember an older guy who had a habit of sailing late into the afternoon. One time I saw him sailing out late with a cigarette in his mouth as I came in. The next day, guys told me that the coast guard picked him up near Oakland after midnight and dropped him off at the Coyote marina. County Park staff stayed late for him. Can you imagine if no one knew he was missing? 
mtnview

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
windpio wrote:

Liability issues. Coyote likely has a policy requiring every sailor be returned to the park before closing. Years ago I was a regular at Coyote. I remember an older guy who had a habit of sailing late into the afternoon. One time I saw him sailing out late with a cigarette in his mouth as I came in. The next day, guys told me that the coast guard picked him up near Oakland after midnight and dropped him off at the Coyote marina. County Park staff stayed late for him. Can you imagine if no one knew he was missing? 

Sounds like Andre on his way out for a round trip sail to Alameda after 6:00pm. We were more worried he's get sailing cancelled at Coyote, since he did this stunt on a pretty regular basis. I don't think in general that rangers stay past closing, there have been others out after dark that had to fend for themselves, or with the Coast Guards help.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to a Ranger on Sunday and he told me that as of 4/16, park closing time will be 7:00. I'm not sure if this is true, but it would be good news. 5:00 is waaaay to early.
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of Friday 4/16, Coyote now closes @ 7pm

Coyote_now_closing_7pm.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.65 KB
 Viewed:  22947 Time(s)

Coyote_now_closing_7pm.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: