myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's wrong with Texas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Kids will do stupid things as they have always done until they learn from their mistakes. That has absolutely nothing to do with Trump or with the red and blue towns that you insist in bringing into the debate. They don't care what Trump says and they don't care what Biden says. They just want to have a good time and believe they are invincible until they find out they aren't.

The thread is, of course, about Texas and the profound public policy mistakes of Texas politicians--not about duck gybe's unending efforts at diversion. Abbott ended the mask mandate--just in time to maximize the revenue potential from spring break kids and to ignore the potential public health hazards of them doing stupid things. I guess some are pleased that he has abandoned efforts to educate kids about the impact that their "stupid things" might have on others.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By
Meryl Kornfield
March 6, 2021 at 6:53 p.m. PST

When the coronavirus pandemic hit and restaurant owners faced difficult decisions, the Richards family that owns Picos, a Mexican restaurant in Houston, quickly adapted to continue sharing their Latin cuisine — from selling to-go margarita kits to stationing a mariachi band at the curbside pickup.

This week, after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said Tuesday that he would rescind the statewide mask mandate while the vast majority of residents remain unvaccinated, the tough choice to enforce public health guidance fell to business owners, and Picos announced it would continue requiring masks. But, after such a challenging year, the reaction to their decision was disheartening, co-owner Monica Richards said: Several people sent hateful messages through social media and called the restaurant, threatening to report staffers to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

“It was just horrific,” Richards said. “People don’t understand unless you’re in our business what it felt like, how hard it was to go through everything we went through during covid. For people to be negative toward us for trying to remain safe, so that this doesn’t continue to happen, just makes zero sense to us.”

‘Masks required’ signs are coming down after Texas, Mississippi lift coronavirus restrictions

Abbott’s decision to lift the mandate will make Texas the largest state to not require masks, which has not come easily for many businesses that are navigating enforcement mask rules to protect employees and customers while facing backlash. Masks, which health experts say are among the most effective ways to curb the spread of the coronavirus, have become a partisan symbol, with one conservative group planning a mask burning party for March 10, the day the order is lifted.

When the mandate is rescinded, the majority of Texas restaurant owners say they will continue requiring staff to wear masks, but they are split on making the same demands of customers, according to the Texas Restaurant Association, which informally surveyed its members this week. The association’s updated guidance recommends restaurants mandate employees wear masks and encourages guests to do the same, spokeswoman Anna Tauzin said.

If a restaurant requires masks, it is unfair to argue the choice infringes on business, Tauzin said.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
I'm sorry if you don't believe that the hordes from Texas are going to party, as they've always done, like there's no tomorrow in a couple weeks here.

I didn't say that or anything remotely like it. Don't put words in my mouth. Kids will do stupid things as they have always done until they learn from their mistakes. That has absolutely nothing to do with Trump or with the red and blue towns that you insist in bringing into the debate. They don't care what Trump says and they don't care what Biden says. They just want to have a good time and believe they are invincible until they find out they aren't.

If you believe 50 year olds are kids, I’ll buy your argument. Texas spring break is not just college kids. It includes their families. I get the sense you’ve never spent much time around Texans. If you had, then maybe you would understand Abbott’s political motivation.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB.. two feet this week . Come out to Squaw, no ten gallon hats, no wing nuts in one-piece Bogners ..
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Texas spring break is not just college kids. It includes their families.

You can't be serious. The overwhelming majority of college kids wouldn't be seen dead with their parents on Spring Break. Any overly protective parent who insists on going with their college kid would be the type that wears three masks. BTW, many Texas colleges have cancelled Spring Break. You worry too much.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm. Who said spring break is limited to college students? The Texans come here with their kids in the spring. Not only colleges have spring break. I’ve seen it for forty years.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Mr buggy whip is just full of shit.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/idaho-anti-maskers-organize-mask-burnings-despite-no-state-mask-mandate

The Trump effect. Remember that buggy whip repeatedly defended Trump's response--the response that killed at least 100,000 people.

At first, I was disgusted with these boneheads misguiding their kids to ignore scientific evidence and to destroy valuable masks that could've been used to save lives. Upon closer inspection of the video, I've noticed that those masks kids tossed into the fire appeared to be used masks. Needless to say, Idaho's "freedom warriors" would never wear them; one has to wonder where those used masks came from. It's conceivable that they/kids collected them by digging through their liberal neighbors' garbage bins. Now I'm really disgusted that they'd exposed kids to those germ filled masks. Yikes!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Ummmm. Who said spring break is limited to college students?

You did.

coboardhead wrote:

It's inevitable that college kids will behave irresponsibly during Spring Break as they have done for decades across the entire country. To pin that on Texans or "Trumpers" is simply unfair.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
Ummmm. Who said spring break is limited to college students?

You did.

coboardhead wrote:

It's inevitable that college kids will behave irresponsibly during Spring Break as they have done for decades across the entire country. To pin that on Texans or "Trumpers" is simply unfair.

Spring break at the ski areas in Colorado is a Texas tradition. Public schools, as well as colleges, take spring break and families head to Colorado. Many Texans have second homes in Colorado.

I'm complaining about the behavior of Texans at Colorado ski resorts. I expressed my concern that this will get worse during spring break because they now have a Governor who eliminated their restrictions. Texans have a rich history of trying to change my part of Colorado into something that more closely aligns with Texas values.

You, obviously, have no clue how Texans behave when they visit Colorado en masse. I'll leave it at that.

Back to the subject Mrgybe. Do you agree with Abbott rescinding the mask mandate?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess mrgybe doesn’t understand spring break is mostly about families getting out of town and not college kids who can’t afford costly ski vacations. I guess also he’s never skied Colorado during spring break. The plates inundate the far north of Colorado in steamboat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: