myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's wrong with Texas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with Texas? Reply with quote

Well, more energy deregulation after the collapse of Enron, cowboy hats on fake cowboys, air quality for starters. Let's see how many people Abbott kills with his no mask policy.

Quote:
According to a watchdog firm monitoring Texas' power markets, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas overpriced the state's electricity during two days of last month's power crisis, leaving prices at the $9,000 per megawatt-hour grid emergency standard for longer than necessary. Potomac Economics found that this resulted in $16 billion overcharges and recommended in a letter to regulators that the charges be reversed. (Bloomberg)
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just like their freedom even at the risk of death or killing someone else.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose:-)

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the assholes!
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the National Geographic newsletter.

Quote:
New COVID-19 cases in the United States continue to decline, while hospitalizations dropped by 16 percent and deaths were down nearly 11 percent. However, there are signs that the rate of decline in new cases nationwide is slowing down, and 29 states are reporting rising case counts. As such, public health officials have expressed concern over some states announcing plans to ease their coronavirus restrictions, including Texas lifting its mask mandate. White House advisor Anthony Fauci told CNN that case numbers remain extremely high, having dipped just below the peak of last summer’s surge.

Texas case numbers and death numbers have already ticked up. Yee ha!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring break the Texans will inundate our ski areas. They have to be continually told to wear their masks in the lift lines. I’m guessing it will get ugly.

I’m thinking of heading to Sun Valley to get away from the onslaught.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, I'm interested. You predicted that the summer onslaught of visitors would cause similar mayhem. Did it? You offered the same caution for the Outer Banks when it re-opened in May. FYI, despite a record tourist season, nearly 2 million visitors, the OBX recorded 5 Covid deaths, all but one 80 years or older. The alternative was to bankrupt many of the small businesses here. It was the right decision.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing a mask is not shutting down business.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
CB, I'm interested. You predicted that the summer onslaught of visitors would cause similar mayhem. Did it? You offered the same caution for the Outer Banks when it re-opened in May. FYI, despite a record tourist season, nearly 2 million visitors, the OBX recorded 5 Covid deaths, all but one 80 years or older. The alternative was to bankrupt many of the small businesses here. It was the right decision.

This is actually pretty accurate. North Carolina had a pretty mild summer in terms of new infections. Although it had a rough winter, it is 40th in terms of deaths per population. So either the citizens were lucky, or some people made good decisions. Real analysis needs to go a little further than small business platitudes and victory laps.

This may be a data accuracy problem.

https://www.johnlocke.org/update/the-fog-of-covid-19-data-why-is-north-carolina-so-delinquent-in-reporting-death-data-to-the-cdc/

https://wlos.com/news/news-13-investigates/is-north-carolinas-mortality-rate-below-average

Of course this is a Texas thread—and the usual diversion tactic.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Mrgybe. Our community put in place one of the most restrictive mask ordinances in the State. In addition, it was, actually, enforced. In addition, the town was closed to inside eating. We shut off all the parking on Main Street and placed barricades and awnings for outside eating. I was NEVER a proponent for shutting down the town and destroying the economy.

We, also, had a good season. One of the best. Even though the tourist train where we thought many of the visitors came to see was shut down. What this proves is that rules work and folks will follow them IF they are reasonable and enforced.

We had no deaths (from locals) so far. We did have a super spreader event party of a group of out of town home owners and there were a number of these people who left their houses and went home with their illness. I heard one of my clients might have died from this. But, all in all, masks, social distancing and limiting gathering sizes worked.

Now, folks are tired of this pandemic. The ski area near my house struggles to get the Texans to keep their masks on. I'm not sure how important the masks are for outside wearing in the lift lines. But, I do know that if we have a problem at spring break with the influx of tourists the State may shut down the areas again. This is why I just cannot understand the attitude that these people will not take the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and the economy.

When these folks are asked to put their masks on, some of them just say no. This is why I fear spring break. Because the Texans will be the majority at a couple of the areas and I am concerned this could set off the same epidemic we had last year during spring break.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that the local restrictions worked well. The concern that people from out of State would ignore local regulations and blindly follow inferred instructions from the President didn't happen in your neck of the woods or in mine. We now have a different President and nothing of substance has changed. States/ localities are calling the shots and administering the vaccines as they were before the election. The overwhelming majority of people are sensible and are not swayed by WH bloviating from either side of the aisle. It's true we are weary of Covid, but the precautions are much more a part of every day routine than they were 9 months ago. I expect that most will continue to be prudent.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrgybe. I thought I would add another comment here.

The social distancing, masks and partial shutdowns (such as limiting sizes of gatherings) was effective in reducing the potential of this pandemic. My area is reaping the benefits of the cautions taken that included not going overboard with the shutdowns. But, that does not mean we should not have done anything.

I cannot speak to your OBX experience. But, isn't it possible that part of the reason your economy survived and you had a limited number of deaths at least, partially, a function of the citizens, and the government, taking the threat seriously and determining methods to minimize the risk?

You once chastised me for claiming that the wearing of masks was politicized. Do you still feel that it wasn't? Especially, in view of what the Governor of Texas is doing right now? Do you believe that Texas is making a wise decision?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: