myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Severne Pyro Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Severne Pyro Review Reply with quote

I've had a few good sessions on the Severne Pyro 93 and have seen some prelim reviews floating around and thought I would add my perspective.

I've been riding starboard ultrakodes (and freewaves in the larger versions) but have also owned various other brands and rented many different waveboards (JP, Fanatic, Quatro).

I sail in Florida where conditions are side-on 95% of the time and usually in mushy waves.

Reviewers have commented about the weight, and the 93 is exactly 1 lb lighter than my carbon ultrakode 93. CMC production results in a durable board. Neil with Severne Shop commented how his Dyno lifted off the ground in a gust and hit two posts and remained unscathed.
I believe the boxes are carbon and slot boxes have plastic screw inserts which is a detriment in my opinion as over tightening is a real possibility.

I sailed the board in 3-6 ft side shore waves w/ underpowered 5.7, 5.0 in 5ft side-on waves, overpowered 4.2 in 5 ft side-on, and powered sideshore 6ft waves with 5.7. I've sailed it primarily in quad but also twin.

The tail rocker of the board is the unique feature- mostly flat along the centerline and increased rocker at the edges of the swallow tail which results in a greater effective rocker in the tail while aiding plaining ability with the mostly flat center. The board certainly responded better with top end speed and similar upwind ability when fitted with twin fins vs quad, however quad of course provided the greatest control in side shore waves. The mostly flatter rocker in the centerline and wide nose pops the board up onto a plane quickly.

Soft rails up front means the board doesn't slice into turns in DTL conditions but is better suited for real world waves by keeping the nose up and hence speed. You have to work to position the board more but it certainly rewards you allowing you to keep speed on the wave longer. Given its compact shape and flat profile to maximize the planing surface, I found a couple times that I dove the nose on steep drop-ins that I could have managed with my ultrakode. Each inch is critical in the nose section and that is the tradeoff for such a short board. This is something though sailing style can easily be adjusted to though. Part of the reason for the nose dive I believe is that I sail the blade pros which have a lot of downward pressure that compounds the problem.

I thought I would need a spacesuit on for the jumps, and while better than the ultrakode they were not staggeringly high. This likely is due to my footstrap positioning which I will adjust over time. Speed is certainly high in rotating moves such as loops and back loop attempts which benefit from the reduced length.

If you are looking for a real world wave board that excels in side-on conditions take a serious look at this one. I'm awaiting delivery of the 99 and 87 and will be interested to see of the 87 has more of a wave bias.

63302461890__33BEBF41-B8D1-42FC-9B46-20E05DC9DDAC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.44 KB
 Viewed:  18733 Time(s)

63302461890__33BEBF41-B8D1-42FC-9B46-20E05DC9DDAC.jpg

63302477000__CD98DEF9-D67A-48EE-8BAE-AA5D99090755.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.8 KB
 Viewed:  18734 Time(s)

63302477000__CD98DEF9-D67A-48EE-8BAE-AA5D99090755.jpg

63302485328__476F4154-A1DD-494D-94A0-850321439FF3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.62 KB
 Viewed:  18735 Time(s)

63302485328__476F4154-A1DD-494D-94A0-850321439FF3.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.31 KB
 Viewed:  18736 Time(s)

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.41 KB
 Viewed:  18737 Time(s)

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6436.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.3 KB
 Viewed:  18739 Time(s)

IMG_6436.PNG

Last edited by sav1 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Severne Pyro Review Reply with quote

Great review, thanks for sharing. Can you expand on what you mean by having to work to position the board on the wave?

sav1 wrote:
You have to work to position the board more
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a relatively soft rail in the front section compared to a focused waveboard. Unlike with a sharper rail where you can set it and the board keeps a stable line, this board requires more rider input for carves. The shape of course lends itself to excel in a wider range of conditions and new school moves compared to a focused waveboard though.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed short, fat board extremely flat in the middle with roll at the edges.
Another way of attacking the weak wave, weak wind equation the Aussies are always looking at.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Another way of attacking the weak wave, weak wind equation the Aussies are always looking at.

Compared to Florida, Aussie “weak waves weak wind” are heavenly. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in a location with Waddell Creek nearby.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Waddell is weak, facing almost dead South, and mostly side on wind.
Big S swell with Nnw wind is very rare.
Power would be S wind Ocean Beach, NW wind big Davenport, or W swell, Nw wind Palo Marin.
Those spots, narrow thin Wpt forward boards are needed right around volume just under your weight.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Actually, Waddell is weak, facing almost dead South, and mostly side on wind.
Big S swell with Nnw wind is very rare.
Power would be S wind Ocean Beach, NW wind big Davenport, or W swell, Nw wind Palo Marin.
Those spots, narrow thin Wpt forward boards are needed right around volume just under your weight.

I've sailed Waddell Creek. Compared to Florida it is heaven.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Bull Stormwatch. Pros sailing Miami.
That shorepound is double anything I've ever seen in Cal, Oahu, Maui, Oregon, or Baja.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Red Bull Stormwatch. Pros sailing Miami.
That shorepound is double anything I've ever seen in Cal, Oahu, Maui, Oregon, or Baja.

OK, you peaked my interest. Which 1,000 year storm was that?
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only google search I can find that includes both Miami and Red Bull
https://fb.watch/3BfNohxtul/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: