myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS Watch Recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: GPS Watch Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hey Wind Junkies!

I'm looking for some recommendations for a GPS watch to use while on the water. What do you guys use? Pros/cons?

I'd like to track my speed, progress, etc. and perhaps upload the data to some sort of mapping program. Currently use iPhone in my impact vest, but I'd like options that don't require carrying a $1200 phone!

Thanks for your time! Be safe and stay well.

Cheers
MM
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used multiple GPS's to show my tracks, angle, etc. and to show up wind and down wind angles and sometimes heart rate. Most of them broke down under the onslaught of salt water and buttons to unload data.

Now I use a Garmin Forerunner 735XT. It is the best I've used. It seems the most waterproof, has a web site to uploand the data that gives you a google earth map to overlay, includes heart rate and speed by time. I use it for both windsurfing and bicycling, and it seems very accurate and waterproof.

I have two dead Locosys--the old BGT-31, which needed a waterproof bag but died anyway, and the GW-60 which lasted less than a year.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Garmin Fenix 5S on black friday and it is very cool
justall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuanced follow up question - I don’t like to wear reading glasses while windsurfing. Do any of these recommended GPS watches have a large, easily readable version of the clock display? I can use glasses on shore to fiddle with the tracking/settings, but would love a big clock setting to know when I need to go in. Or a button to have it tell me the time, without pairing to another device. Easy enough to also carry a large display watch on the mast, but wondering if I can get to one watch. I wasn’t quite sure based just on product website and user manual.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
Nuanced follow up question - I don’t like to wear reading glasses while windsurfing. Do any of these recommended GPS watches have a large, easily readable version of the clock display? I can use glasses on shore to fiddle with the tracking/settings, but would love a big clock setting to know when I need to go in. Or a button to have it tell me the time, without pairing to another device. Easy enough to also carry a large display watch on the mast, but wondering if I can get to one watch. I wasn’t quite sure based just on product website and user manual.

I think most of them have different styles of clock faces you can download, so you can choose a clock face with big numbers. I do that on my fitbit
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I’ll check the downloads.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cheap side you can use an old Android smartphone with gps and Aquapak.
Tons of apps available. Touchscreen still worked for me though the plastic window.

rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of these for a few years and it works good: http://www.midwestspeedquest.com/styled-10/page3.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1932513823670951
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used locosys gw-60 (the recognized gps on gps-speedsurfing.com)..it s good.. watch band has been know to break..

however I have a garmin Fenix 6....(used ti have 5s)..both worked really well. I have had only a +/- .2 mph difference between garmin & gw-60.

I have on a few rare occasions of a gps glitch. where a max 2 sec speed was way off 40+mph. And I was still on the beach.

I use my garmin now for windsurfing, biking, and everything else...I wear it all the time. The Gw-60 I use as well only when I am going for my own personal best on the slalom gear.

you can get Fenix 5's cheap since the 6's have been out for some time. And you can configure the screen so the number would be big.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skyking. That is the unit that I have been looking at as well. I've always had good experiences with Garmin products. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a sale on the F5 unit.

Heading to SPI soon! The season is near Smile Be safe and stay well.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: