myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Angulo Magnum 135 - Anyone using their board for foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merdike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Angulo Magnum 135 - Anyone using their board for foiling Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone used their Magnum to begin foiling and if fin box / nose survived foiling learning stages? Hoping to use board for learning and upgrading board once proficient.... Thanks for your feedback, tips, comments! Very Happy
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used that board. Most any board will get you up and foiling. But there two main issues.
#1 The geometry of the foil box, foot straps and mast track may not be ideal for foiling. Making it difficult to get up on foil and control flight. Might be best to not use the foot straps and harness the first few times out.
#2 The fin box is not designed to take the load that foiling puts on the board.
Some have use windsurf boards with no issue. Others have had issues, even lost foils. I would suggest that you tie your foil to the back straps on your board. It causes little drag and might save from losing you expensive foil. I foil in a lake that gets shallow near the end of the season. I use kite line around the foil to plastic wire ties I screwed into the foot strap holes.
Your going to crash. Its part of learning. If your not in the straps and harness
you just get wet and get to up haul AGAIN. The biggest issue with the harness is getting launched into you sail and getting a dent or hole in the sail.
Straps can help prevent this but have caused foot, ankle and knee injury.
Several guys here are foiling strapless. That frees up your feet allowing you move them any where you need to control balance. Spend 50 bucks and get a good nose pad from NSI. I still put one on my boards be fore I use them. Foiling is super fun and greatly extends your time on the water. 15 mph wind days with the right set has me foiling on a 4.7 with a big smile on my face.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, freestyle boards have a better chance of flying with a foil.
Basically, COE of front wing has to be between your feet, close to center.
You can move mast back or front to affect about 3".
You can raise or lower your boom to affect less.
You can move your feet...if there is deck space availible.
Be sure to use a foil with a bottom plate to spread the load of the foilmast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: