myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil board choices - your opinion wanted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this talk about nose and rail damage to wind-sups and strapless sailing, I will chime in.
Just upgraded my 8'3 Sealion windsup to a Sealion Wings, which is foil compatible. The Sealions are a bit heavy but TOUGH. I have not foiled my rig yet, just sail and paddlesurf so far. These boards all surf really well. I got the 125L 8'6 wings.
It's an international purchase if you want one, but not a bad experience. Prices listed online include the VAT so it ends up canceling out the shipping. I will be looking to get a foil for it some time this year.

ISO, don't know if you have tried one, but the wings is faster than the old sealion 8'3 by a decent margin.

https://shop.foilandco.com/en/product/sealion-wings-board/

JP
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Foiling 101 main bearings Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing for a few years and I am now considering wind foiling. I weigh 90 kg and It would be mostly in light winds, as usual. I would have to buy a new board, though, because I cannot fit the foil on current Bic board, with an American finbox.
What are the best equipment options for a beginner? For one thing, I am thinking of a relatively short mast, because I don’t like surfing… I meter. above the water, for comfort, balance and safety. What would be the shortest mast I can use? Also, the width of the board is a factor I have to consider, because of the added stability.
Short of taking a few hours instruction, I am also considering online instruction.
In the heyday of classic windsurfing, there used to be a lot of online instruction ( video or other), but there is not too much about foiling, aside from promotional videos by manufacturers or speed-adrenaline videos that show very little about technique and basic skills.
Any comment will be appreciated

Thanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 screw Tuttle is used on half the foils out nowadays.
Get windsurf fuselage.
Biggest board, 150-180 liters.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
2 screw Tuttle is used on half the foils out nowadays.
Get windsurf fuselage.
Biggest board, 150-180 liters.

Thanks but what do you mean by "windsurfing fuselage?"I was interested to know about the minimum foil mast length I can use to ride above the water, but not too high. 60, 65 cm, perhaps?

Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you can fly, you have to locate your front wing between your footstraps, hence WINDSURF fuselage, not kite, surf, or wing.
Then, a 65 mast is useless except for your timid first 2 days. If you fly, you will breach and CRASH.
Better to just use a normal 75-90 mast and lean on your front foot to keep the board lower than 18" off the water.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to go fast in straight lines with big sails or go slow and carve turns with small sails?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Sling Shot foil academy online. I did the complete lesson before I hit the water. By the end of the first day I was flying the whole lake. As for boards I would make sure you get one that you can easily up haul. You will be doing a lot of that at first. Also get one that has the adjustable foil mount. Makes it easier to get things balanced. The only reason to go with a short foil mast is if your in shallow water. Longer masts allow for more room to adjust flight befor foil out. The windsurf standard these days is around 85cm or longer. With some carbon masts getting up to 120cm. Old Sling Shot sets had mast from 15 inches to 36 inches.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When learning, most important to use sail sizing around 1.5 meters smaller than you'd use windsurfing.
Minimize waterstarting first 5 days, weight on FRONT foot, step down on rear foot to intimate flight and bring it back down...at least a few times to control flight.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Before you can fly, you have to locate your front wing between your footstraps, hence WINDSURF fuselage, not kite, surf, or wing.
Then, a 65 mast is useless except for your timid first 2 days. If you fly, you will breach and CRASH.
Better to just use a normal 75-90 mast and lean on your front foot to keep the board lower than 18" off the water.

I think a 75 cm is my best bet also because the water is shallow, but in the end what is the difference in performance between a long mast and a shorter one? Speed. manoeuvrability, balance ( or lack thereof)?
I have seen people dancing like acrobats on long masts to keep
balance, just like when you are biking at low speed. Would a wider board help for balance?

Tks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer mast goes upwind better, more balance when slogging, and gives more room to fly up and down.
Feels a little disconnected in hard turns, and needs .ore water depth...like chest deep for 90 cm masts.
I use 65, for all conditions except 2 foot high windswells. Then I use 90, but swell riding feels "off".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: