myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil board choices - your opinion wanted!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wseibert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Foil board choices - your opinion wanted! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I took up foiling this summer after Andy Brandt introduced me to it in June. I have a Slingshot 76" foil, 61cm mast, that I've been using with a powerplate adapter on my Angulo Release 145 liter board (about 4 sessions). Unfortunately, the adapter cracked the bottom deck of my board (without running aground), so this setup is out. I'm 200 lbs, which could explain the damage.

So I'm looking for a dedicated foilboard. I considered a board that could double as a fin windsurfing board, but I think differences in footstrap placement make that a difficult option. So i'm seeking a dedicated windfoiling board.

I've been thinking that the Slingshot Levitator 150L is the way to go, as it has the lightwind float for my 200 lbs and is a similar volume to what I've been using.

However, I've been looking at the multi-purpose boards like the Slingshot Shred Sled (143L) and the Goya Air Bolt (155L), as those could also move me into winging and sup foiling down the road.

Do you have any opinions about the Levitator vs. a multi-use board? On the hull design differences (the multi-use boards have those very different rails), my only concern is getting up onto the foil. Is the Levitator is significantly significantly better at planing up onto the foil than the multi-use type? I'm not sure many people have experience with both at this point, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Will
ranger13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Foil boards Reply with quote

I had a custom North Pacific Surfboard dedicated foil board.145 liters. Cost was $2500 for the board. I sold it and picked up a well used, but water tight, Exocet 81 foil board for $300. I use a slingshot 84 front foil and 48 rear foil on a 91 cm mast. Once in the air on the foil, I can find no difference whatsoever between the $2500 board and the $300 board. I weigh 215. Typically I am on an Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 while all my sailing friends are on 4.7-5.3. I first learned to foil on an RRD H-Fire 91 and it took some large hits from the mast. I haven’t fallen in my last 20+ foiling sessions, but I am very cautious while on the foil. My advice is learn to get comfortable on a fairly inexpensive board. For me, the $300 board feels fine.
fox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned on, and I'm still foiling on a Naish Hover Crossover (8' 150l). It does double adequately as a windsup, and I think it would work well as a supfoil (not that I can fathom that). But at it's size I think it's more susceptible to mast hits. I've cracked the nose twice, and dented it numerous times, even with a surfbent.
motogon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 2018 Fanatic Falcon 136 Team Edition as my universal low wind board: with fin and big sale it works great, and as foil board (it has foil box). In foil mode I remove footstraps and board works great for foiling.
Few month ago I upgraded to smaller dedicated foil board as I realize I almost never use Falcon for "fin sailing".
BTW - my Falcon is for sale now Wink
I'm in Philly and sail in NJ.

falc_foil.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  352.51 KB
 Viewed:  40483 Time(s)

falc_foil.jpg

falc1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  589 KB
 Viewed:  40483 Time(s)

falc1.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox wrote:
But at it's size I think it's more susceptible to mast hits. I've cracked the nose twice, and dented it numerous times, even with a surfbent.

I used to smash little (small target) WS board noses and forward rails at least monthly. In the 25 years since I began padding their noses and the masts in the impact zones, I haven't damaged one board. I crash a lot in gnarly conditions without worrying about the equipment, and people have asked whether the nose pads came on the board from the factory.

I don't mean those big foam pillows. I'm talking about color-matched, hand-fitted, deck padding strips on the nose and rail, and a DaKine Formula Pad on the mast below the boom. (Pryde makes a T-shaped boom bra with the upright segment designed to pad the mast.) If you can't find them, many currently available mast base pads will fasten somehow beneath the boom.

Beats the hell out of board damage and giving a hoot how you fall.
fox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
many currently available mast base pads will fasten somehow beneath the boom.

I have done this and it works well.

Windsups seem acutely susceptible to rail damage. All the volume makes dropping (or getting rolled up in) the rig more like a spar crashing on a gunwale Surprised
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger13. I think I have seen you flying across my local lake early in the morning. You seem to fly with ease when no one else can. Are you the guy riding the blue Exocet board? What is your secret? Your up on foil when there isn't a white cap in sight. Barely texture on the water. I don't think I have ever seen you fall in a turn. I have friends that want to learn to foil. Would you be willing to give a group lesson/ introduction to foiling on a weekend morning. I will talk to you next time at the lake. The problem is Your on the water before I get there and long after I have packed up and gone home. PM or I will "TRY" to catch you on the water. Naish sail and board red helmet crash every other turn...Thanks
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....orange Ezzy sport sail Naish board....Tony
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people now foiling strap less. I would go Shred Sled if you think its the way to go. This gives you freedom to move your feet where and when you need to. Also less chance of foot or ankle injury. For me I mostly foil front foot in back out more to the center line of the board. I only hit the back strap when I really need to head back up wind but can almost do the same out of the strap. As for early flight its more about the size of your front wing and sail then the board. The larger the wing the less board speed needed to lift at a given weight. If you just sheet in and wait you will need a larger sail to get to take off speed. If you can pump your foil and sail, you can reach take off speed on a much smaller sail. Once up the smaller sail is much easier to control flight and turn. I'm older and weight 170 lbs. I Mostly use a 4.7 Hydra sport in most wind conditions. Unless it gets really windy. Then I put the 4.7 on my windsurf board. In very lite winds I use a high aspect Naish 1800 cm front wing. In any gust in 12 ish range I can pump up on foil. Once up its easy to keep flying. If it gets a bit windy say 12 to 20 I stick on a 1400 front wing. Easier and cheaper than re-rigging a sail. I also have the 1150 cm wing. Its really good when its windy but at that point I might just stick my 4.7 on my 96 Tabou 3s.
To me either board should work for you. Both have an adjustable foil track that makes getting things balanced much easier.
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this talk about nose and rail damage to wind-sups and strapless sailing, I will chime in.
Just upgraded my 8'3 Sealion windsup to a Sealion Wings, which is foil compatible. The Sealions are a bit heavy but TOUGH. I have not foiled my rig yet, just sail and paddlesurf so far. These boards all surf really well. I got the 125L 8'6 wings.
It's an international purchase if you want one, but not a bad experience. Prices listed online include the VAT so it ends up canceling out the shipping. I will be looking to get a foil for it some time this year.

ISO, don't know if you have tried one, but the wings is faster than the old sealion 8'3 by a decent margin.

https://shop.foilandco.com/en/product/sealion-wings-board/

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: