myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
roof rack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled Prius roof racks and found pages of them. Did i just not look closely enough, or are you hard set on soft racks?

None of the roofs I drilled through had holes in them for the next 90,000 to 230,000 miles. They were plugged by bolts and sealed by whatever goop I could find I could find at the time. Never leaked a drop.

BTW ... I hope that Prius covered by stuff in cardboard boxes was going to drive <10 miles at speeds <25 and winds <10, and that he had a LOT of liability insurance.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Civic up to the Gorge twice with 6 boards on top, and once to B. Tortugas with only 5.
Used to pick up 6 boxes boards at a time..windsurf...from Oakland Air.
No problem, use common sense.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso : i found some expensive ones
.......in the past I used sportrack and they were often < $200
the Prius C is not made to carry nor to tow - ideally
for me - this windsurf year is ending soon anyway - way too soon
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
iso : i found some expensive ones
.......in the past I used sportrack and they were often < $200
the Prius C is not made to carry nor to tow - ideally
for me - this windsurf year is ending soon anyway - way too soon

No more expensive, and likely cheaper, than another driver's windshield, facial surgery, funeral expenses, family's bereavement award, and/or the resulting ding repair. It has happened.

Far more likely, I hope, is a scuffed roof, but close behind that is the aerodynamic lifting forces on the front strap or rack crossbar on a roof that short. The apparent headwind is trying to rip the boards off the car, and has an advantage when a short roof decrees that the boards project out over the windshield. I'd want that front strap or crossbar absolutely bombproof to lifting forces. I can hear the civil court prosecutor and judge now:

"You mean your board was anchored by nothing more than stupid cloth straps under and over it, and the complainant's grandchild is dead? I demand $10M, your honor."

"Hell, let's make it $20M. Maybe THAT'LL fix stupid."

Then there's that ding repair.

Am I being paranoid? Probably ... but I value my sleep, and my sailing trips often encounter those triple digit (mph) apparent wind gusts I mentioned.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, soft racks work very well at modest speeds around town. I think that you could easily drive around at freeway speeds, but I didn't have that opportunity on Maui and Kauai due to their lower posted speed limits. Yet, it's worth pointing out that most of the island roads were just one lane in each direction, so cars coming the other way offered more oncoming air and the potential for lift. No problems at all.

Back in the 70s I carried my surfboard on the roof with just a rack only in front. The nose of the board just rested on the roof (I mounted the surfboard with fin in the front and the bottom of the board up). Easily drove around at 70 mph on the freeway, and never a mishap.

If you remain paranoid that the boards are going to fly off, you can always tie off the front overhang to the front end of the car. I used to do that when I first started windsurfing with a 12' longboard on my VW Scirocco because the front and back racks were mounted very close together due to it being a 2 door. I drove from Santa Barbara to Lopez Lake, probably 90 miles each way, and much of it at freeway speeds.
dkoscielski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Prius & Soft Racks Reply with quote

After my 15-year absence from windsurfing I started back up. For 12-months, I used soft racks on my prius. Did two trips driving 4-boards on top from St Louis, Missouri to Hatteras. 14-hours each way. Made a bunch of noise but worked fine. Paint on roof got rubbed a bit is all. Only difference from your photo is I don't have a sun roof. I vote go for it, it'll work around town easy.

Second year I bucked up for a thule, now I stack 6-boards on top and drive to hatteras and back.

good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Prius & Soft Racks Reply with quote

dkoscielski wrote:
Second year I bucked up for a thule, now I stack 6-boards on top and drive to hatteras and back.

I gotta smile. The streets of Hood River were lined and choked with setups like that in its (WSing) heyday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: