myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Cruz scene for mediocre windsurfer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wind_serf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz scene for mediocre windsurfer? Reply with quote

I'm considering moving to Santa Cruz from the South Bay for various reason. Wondering what the windsurfing scene is like.

I've only wind-foiled the last 2 years and am decent at that. 3rd ave, Coyote, PA are my normal spots.

When it comes to short boarding (I have an 83L RRD freewave, I'm about 65kg), I'm pretty mediocre. My water starts are solid, gybes are not great, and have never sailed waves before. I learned in the gorge, pretty much only done free ride, never launched on an ocean beach.

Is there a scene for intermediate level windsurfers? I would love to learn to ride waves but have no business going out by myself in waves. Where could I realistically go? I figure I could still foil and free ride at half-moon bay, maybe if I make some new buddies I could go out at Waddell on a good day? I love foiling but def. want to dust off my short board.

Overall I figure I will probably get less windsurf time living in SC.. but not sure.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually you'll probably get more windsurfing time once you get accustomed to ocean launch. Obviously the best time to head out at Waddell is when there's very lite surf and the wind is moderate. So, take your time and head out when the swell forecast is 1-3 foot and wind 18-20.

There are always people around to advise. Don't be shy, ask questions. Good luck!
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some of the old guard down here trying foiling but
mostly winging it. Actually most places aren't foiling friendly due
to kelp. Waddell is the exception . San Luis reservoir
is a great for medium to high wind sailing during the spring and summer
months. Not really foil friendly due to weeds after June.
There is always surfing in the Winter months.
But it is so crowded now with it being one of the only
Recreational outlets and no school and a lot people out of
jobs with nothing else to do .
Weather patterns have been so strange lately .
Basicly up the coast Davenport , Scott Creek and Waddell for sailing.
Waddell is usually super crowded with mostly kiters.
In town Natural Bridges with the problem of kelp and
getting downwinded along the cliffs if you don't know what your
are doing.
Certainly not newbe friendly . You need to have a solid water start , jibe
and be able to stay upwind with a lot of confidence , handle swell and bumps.
Waddell is more forgiving since there is a lot of Beach to come in on .
Easier to drive up to the South Bay than to go to Half Moon Bay.
You should be able to ride bumps if you spent much time in the Gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't WSed in kelp for a LONG time, but weed fins really help in the milfoil choking parts of the Gorge. That may get your RRD going -- up to a point -- when and where a foil is out of the question.
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz scene for mediocre windsurfer? Reply with quote

wind_serf wrote:
I'm considering moving to Santa Cruz from the South Bay for various reason. Wondering what the windsurfing scene is like.

I've only wind-foiled the last 2 years and am decent at that. 3rd ave, Coyote, PA are my normal spots.

When it comes to short boarding (I have an 83L RRD freewave, I'm about 65kg), I'm pretty mediocre. My water starts are solid, gybes are not great, and have never sailed waves before. I learned in the gorge, pretty much only done free ride, never launched on an ocean beach.

Is there a scene for intermediate level windsurfers? I would love to learn to ride waves but have no business going out by myself in waves. Where could I realistically go? I figure I could still foil and free ride at half-moon bay, maybe if I make some new buddies I could go out at Waddell on a good day? I love foiling but def. want to dust off my short board.

Overall I figure I will probably get less windsurf time living in SC.. but not sure.

Foiling not so big yet at the coast. You best get your jibes down first before sailing the coast imho, I'd nail them at a place like Candlestick, Coyote or San Luis. The cold water has been known to disable intermediate sailors, not to mention the big fish. Nonetheless, Waddell is good at others mentioned because of the big beach. If you can make it in, you'll eventually end up on a beach someplace, just stop before you go too far out and wear a warm (e.g. 5 mm) wetsuit, hood and maybe booties too. Just don't get run over by a kiter or get eaten. Natural Bridges is also good, but there's a wind hole and a serious kelp bed which has been known to claim a victim or two. Good news is you'll drift towards town and someone usually calls the fire department on you when they see that. The downwind situ at NB's sucks though cause of the cliffs, especially on high tide and big surf. Good luck!
wind_serf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips all. Sounds like I need to get back on my short board and get my gybes dialed, then maybe try Waddell on a moderate/flat day.

Man it'd be cool to foil at Waddell (on the outside, not in waves obviously) but can't imagine getting past a beach break with a foil. I've been beat down enough times just getting to the water going down steps or a steep shoreline in gusty wind. It sucks cause I can get upwind so well on the foil and carving swells downwind is so fun. But the beach break scares me.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wind_serf,

Santa Cruz is a great choice. At least I think so.

You may have to get used to the water being blues and greens rather than brown, but I think you will find it inviting. We do have our red tides and brown water with an off-white suds on it when waves are slapping the cliffs, but often we have great colors.

Santa Cruz is sort of all about waves. It is not called Surf City (In Northern California) for no reason. You said you already enjoy swell and that is what the waves are before they turn into surfing waves so there is plenty of swell to play on.

"Flat" is a four letter word in Santa Cruz (notice it begins with "F") and when Surfline reports the surf that way you can just about hear the groans.

But waves come in different sizes and as someone already stated go out initially in the 1 to 3 foot size. Something to be aware of is that just because you initially observe 1 to 3 foot waves does not mean that is all there is. On an apparent 1 to 3 foot day there is sometimes 3 to 6 foot sets. Check Surfline for the wave prediction and check the swell and its direction. They usually display the most significant 3 or 4 swells for the day and upcoming week. Of course observe the pattern at the launch for a period of time before launching to get a feel for it. How big are the sets...how much time to launch between sets,,,,,etc.

Some of the windsurfers in Santa Cruz are unquestionably the stereotypical windsurfing addict. But not just for wind. For waves. In fact, if the waves look good, they are out there in 5 to 7 knots of wind on their windsurfing wave boards. And they are catching waves. So 5- 7 knots is below the threshold for most windsurfers, certainly kiters, and most foilers. So in this Limbo Contest (How Low Can You Go?) these wave sailors take the prize.

The windsurfers go by the same right-of-way-rules as do surfers. So mind them. However, some sets have six or seven waves and if there is less than that # of windsurfers out, a wave can have your name on it.

I look at Santa Cruz County as having three wind zones. The South County from Aptos down to the Parjaro River is light wind and if there is stronger wind it is flukey and unpredictable. The Mid-County from about Natural Bridges to Aptos is light to medium wind and is predictable and fun for SailSup windsurfing and sometimes Freeride. Its Beach can be good wave sailing at times. North County from Natural Bridges to Waddell is medium to high wind and mostly wave sailing with some freeride. If the winds are light to medium here, I may SailSUP it. And as I have stated, the really good wave sailors windsurf out in just about any wind. I have seen Wingers in Mid-County as well as North County.

As far as learning, I learned to waterstart at Waddell. And my jibes leave a lot to be desired. I seem to have to learn all over again at the beginning of each season. By mid-season I can make some. The idea of the Big Fish can give you some incentive to try and stay on the board. And I cannot call myself honestly a wavesailor, but I do love playing on the swell and waves. I think anybody would who tries it. And it is addictive....

W1
pjs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you can waterstart and sail upwind in 4.0 to 5.5 conditions you'll do fine on the majority of days. All you really need to figure out is the kelp and the shorebreak. Unfortunately, it's not overhead surf every day. There are a ton of flat and small days with plenty of wind that make for easy launching and landing. Sailing in town at Its Beach or Natural Bridges can require a little local knowledge depending on the conditions. But they are generally easy sailing most of the time. Same with Davs, Scotts and Waddell- if you want to learn to wave sail, make sure it's not getting too out of control and don't sail anything you don't want to break. That's kind of how everyone started.

Of course, if you move to SC over the winter, you'll be starting your ocean sailing in the spring, when we can get really out of control winds and some big northwest swell. It could be pretty intimidating March-May. Nothing's more fun as a beginning wave sailor than a big day can't make it off the beach launch that quickly changes into a big day can't turn around and go back in launch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: