myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question for people using 2019 DaKine T8 harness.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trowing this out but could the problem be the padding DaKine added to the spreader bar is holding the bar in a more downward position then your old non-padded bar? I am using the T-9 slider which came with the padded bar. The padding made the bar sit tighter and stiffer against the harness as well as reduced the ease and amount of slide so I cut the padding off. As soon as I got the padding off the bar it was the same old feeling as all of the other 6 T-series harness I have had. The Padded spreader bar came over from the kite side of DaKine. With the main force of the kite pulling up rather then out like with a sail the pad was needed to spread the load out more and keep the bar from digging into the riders stomach. Just a though!
theq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, JamesHardy. That is a very good thought. I may end up doing what you did and cut that padding away rather than changing hooks. Cheers.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looked good on paper (ether). Your idea would have worked if the non-slider spreader was the same. Unfortunately, it has a couple of extra squared off loops on the clip side that may eventually cause discomfort against the body. I could grind off those loops but there would still be an asymmetrical push on the sides that might mess with something. I guess I'll just spring for the new buckles to use with an old spreader bar. Thanks again.

DSC06712.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  614.89 KB
 Viewed:  16010 Time(s)

DSC06712.JPG

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CFNBw1BIDE0/
He's obviously looking for some control and powered up. Noticed how low he is, yet, driving his weight into the harness with quite horizontal boom lines.

theq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30" lines are on the way now, along with a new conventional spreader bar and buckle. I think the 30" lines may help, especially if I need to go back to that "improved" padded bar. That said, I borrowed a conventional hook from a friend's backup harness and installed it on the T8. I had no problem unhooking with the non-padded spreader setup. I may end up selling the new padded bar to some unsuspecting...er...more accomplished "unhooker" than I. Twisted Evil

Bottom line: Problems with padded spreader on T8 non-sliding design. No problem when using conventional, non-padded, spreader. Your face-plants may vary. Cheers.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made it a habit when jibing, especially in waist-high chopswell and when powered way up or in gusty conditions, to exaggerate my unhooking. Rather than the subtle unhooking done to avoid any airflow interruption in marginal winds, I make a distinct but smooth semicircle motion with my hands ... in towards myself to unload the lines, then down to be sure the line falls out of my roller bar pulley, then forward again so the line can't hook in by itself. Only when I forget to do this am I at risk of accidentally hooking in before I'm ready.

The risk is farther mitigated by aggressively flipping the sail very early ... none of the usual scenario of holding ... holding ... holding ... holding onto the sail until the board has reversed course, the wind does all the work, and the plane has departed.
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same T8 harness and I find that I usually need to use my thumbs to help hook/unhook just to be safe. Don't remember having this level of difficulty with my previous harnesses.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh... maybe it's caused by the added slack from the sliding system. It takes a bit more effort to unhook as the bar wants to follow the hook dropping down with it.
theq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Ooooh... maybe it's caused by the added slack from the sliding system. It takes a bit more effort to unhook as the bar wants to follow the hook dropping down with it.

Thanks for your comment. However, the harness I am referring to is the non-slider with the double straps on each side. It cinches up tighter than the slider.
theq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alakghosh wrote:
I have the same T8 harness and I find that I usually need to use my thumbs to help hook/unhook just to be safe. Don't remember having this level of difficulty with my previous harnesses.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to know that it isn't just me.

Murray's marine has the conventional spreader made for the non-slider, two strap per side, design for ~$18, and the buckle with the plastic keeper for $5. So it cost me an extra $23 to get it working.

I hope to get a few more days this season before I hang it up 'til late winter. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: