myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
roof rack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: roof rack Reply with quote

my Prius C seems to have been built with NO consideration for towing nor SportRack or similiar ...
so ...

I was wondering ...
Has anyone ever put a board or two on their vehicle with such a "contraption" ??
Sails will go in the car and I am NOT going far

people are ALWAYS amazed at what i can get IN the car
but that is a little "inconvenient" (NO passengers for sure)

my windsurf van died last year and with covid have been staying away from the beaches any way ...
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big of a board?
I've made do with soft racks before. You definitely don't want to go super far or go through much rain.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or wind.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used this particular brand, but I have used similar soft/foam racks to transport a 125L board. Seemed stable to me on a 60 mile trip, but: (1) I didn't go over 50mph so can't vouch for higher speeds, (2) mine had lashing straps that wrapped around the entire car roof (straps came in the front and back windows with the straps passing above driver and rear passenger heads ... it was a full loop, not some sort of hook attaching to window frame, and (3) i flipped the board such that I thought the aerodynamic forces would have higher odds of pressing the board down onto the foam/car, rather than pressuring it up.

Foam/lashing blocks used to be the technique of choice back in the 80s/90s for windsurfing rental shops ... at least where I sailed/rented.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used them for surfboards quite a bit and feel they are very stable. Try twisting the strap 180 deg prior to putting in the door of the car to minimize wind vibration when in the freeway.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using soft racks once, I managed to dent the roof of my car by tightening
a board down to what I considered an acceptable level. You can use
them in a pinch (and I have), but I'd find another way.

-Craig

p.s. Thule appears to make a Prius mountable hard rack, and you can always
go custom (holes will be drilled)
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used FCS brand soft racks in my trips to Maui and Kauai. On Maui I was only going from the airport to Spreckelsville, but on Kauai I drove from Lihue to Hanalei and back with 1 board and an airport sailbag with 3 sails, a boom, 2 masts and all my other gear in it on the rack. Also, I drove with just the board on top from Hanalei to Mahaulepu Beach and back.

On Kauai, I should point out that I kept my speed at or under 50mph, the speed limit. Like justal, FCS attachment straps loop through the interior or the car, and there are no gutter clips. No problems at all.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie front of gear to front bumper, stay below 50, keep an eye on gear while driving.
Non gutter cars, like my Civics, have gone to Baja and Gorge loaded with 6 boards on top.
skonoplev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: My experience Reply with quote

I used a similar brand on my 2009 Toyota Camry and drove my 150 Liter Fanatic Shark several hundred miles on a highway; the longest journeys were from Houston to South Padre Island, Texas (about 350 miles one way). I did secure both a nose and a tail of the board to the car frame; otherwise the board vibrated at 70 MPH, which was unpleasant and scary. I did not make any damage to the car roof.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: roof rack Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
my Prius C seems to have been built with NO consideration for towing nor SportRack or similiar ...
so ...

I suspect that this will eventually scratch the roof as there always be some dirt/sand getting stuck there and be rubbed against the paint by the pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: