myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ??? Reply with quote

Posted this in the general forum, but I wanted local knowledge, if possible...

Hi All-
It's getting towards the fall sailing season here in New England. My Assault hybrid drysuit was just deemed unrepairable by O'Neill (after about 30 sessions).
Searching the iw forum I found little current suit info. My current choices are the O'Neill neoprene baggy top O'Neill Fluid Neo drysuit, or the Promotion Men's 4mm Dimension drysuit.

Any thoughts appreciated.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Promotion Reply with quote

Got the dimension liteweight wear it on Great Lakes in 35 deg air and water warm got it last winter wore it thru spring no problems
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ??? Reply with quote

I love my Promotion drysuit. I've got the all neo 5/3 unit they've
been trying to get away from for several years. I'm not as manly as Mike,
but I have the same issue. Leaks at the wrist. I'd still get this
drysuit over any other.

-Craig

donwh wrote:
Posted this in the general forum, but I wanted local knowledge, if possible...

Hi All-
It's getting towards the fall sailing season here in New England. My Assault hybrid drysuit was just deemed unrepairable by O'Neill (after about 30 sessions).
Searching the iw forum I found little current suit info. My current choices are the O'Neill neoprene baggy top O'Neill Fluid Neo drysuit, or the Promotion Men's 4mm Dimension drysuit.

Any thoughts appreciated.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ??? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
drysuit over any other.

Now that I've stopped sailing in air and water below about 50 F, I value everything else's much lighter weight compared to the Promotion all neo. Except for significant surf, it's tough to beat Kokatat GoreTex if $1,200 (minus 20% at REI in the right season) is not a showstopper.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ??? Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I have a Kokatat goretex also that I use in Utah, but I find the
Promotion easier to swim in, even if I've properly burped the Kokatat.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
drysuit over any other.

Now that I've stopped sailing in air and water below about 50 F, I value everything else's much lighter weight compared to the Promotion all neo. Except for significant surf, it's tough to beat Kokatat GoreTex if $1,200 (minus 20% at REI in the right season) is not a showstopper.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I concur. It depends mostly on how thoroughly my K is burped. Even though I empty it neck deep just before leaving shore, within minutes it's got a lot of air in it even if I didn't eat beans w/breakfast. The K is warmest if it has enough air to maintain some separation between suit and skin, but it's hard to maintain the right balance. But, man, when those issues are addressed, the only thing that feels lighter and better is just board shorts. That full suit of yesteryear's neoprene is hea-vee.

Everything's a tradeoff.
donwh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
drysuit over any other.

-Craig

See, that's the crux for me. I assume you're talking all neoprene, upper body baggy suit, which apparently Promotion doesn't make any more. They have the "cloth" type baggy top (not sure of the material). O'Neill has the opposite, they have the Fluid neo top drysuit, and stopped making the other style Hybrid Assault. I look at my O'Neill Assault here that I just got back from O'Neill being rejected for repair 'cause the top part has become permeable. The thing still looks primo, having only about 25 sessions over the past 3 years or so. What a waste. Hoping the Promotion Dimension or newer O'Neill Fluid neo will last longer. I often sail in waves in the winter and can't have it become porous like this one did last season.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, the upper body is neo, but it isn't baggy, at least on my body,
but the arms are cut very large. They aren't advertising them, but
when I was in there last November, they had a whole rack full, not sure of
sizes though. You should call them, and see if they have what you want.

-Craig

donwh wrote:

See, that's the crux for me. I assume you're talking all neoprene, upper body baggy suit, which apparently Promotion doesn't make any more. They have the "cloth" type baggy top (not sure of the material). O'Neill has the opposite, they have the Fluid neo top drysuit, and stopped making the other style Hybrid Assault. I look at my O'Neill Assault here that I just got back from O'Neill being rejected for repair 'cause the top part has become permeable. The thing still looks primo, having only about 25 sessions over the past 3 years or so. What a waste. Hoping the Promotion Dimension or newer O'Neill Fluid neo will last longer. I often sail in waves in the winter and can't have it become porous like this one did last season.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion's neo dry suit isn't designed to be baggy. It IS designed to be very roomy where we need room to provide freedom of motion in the shoulders and upper arms and loose enough in the forearms to prevent constriction. Back when I bought my Promotion all-neo suit, I couldn't get my arms and shoulders into O'Neil's suits ... just too tight unless completely oversized top to bottom.

That said, I deliberately bought an oversized Promotion neo dry suit. I had 'em send me two sizes, one too big and one way too big. I tried them on at home and returned the merely "too big" one. I LIKE being able to jump into my full suits and LIKE having them fall almost to my ankles and sling the suit's arms off my wrists. WTH WANTS to fight a suit on or off, especially after a long session?

But that wasn't why I bought a double-over-sized Psychofreak. I bought it because I flat could not get into or out of a one-size-over without help. It took every ounce of strength and sweat I could muster to get the double-over size on or off, and I still needed help sometimes.
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my Ripcurl 5/4 Flashbomb is warmer (and drier) than any drysuit I ever owned. I'm sold on the integral hood for warmth and minimal water intrusion. Mine is a few years old when it was made as a 5.5/4. The 5.5 mm is from ankle to neck with the arms only at 4mm. I picked mine up for 350$, so a cheap option. They make a 6/4 now also.
JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: