myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drysuits 2020! O'Neill or Promotion?, Or ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 4/3 heat seeker flashbomb, that's never been tried in the water.
It's hard to get on and off, but it can be done. We'll see if I can tolerate
that, but not this next week, cause it's gonna be warm here.

-Craig

jpeter wrote:
For what it's worth, my Ripcurl 5/4 Flashbomb is warmer (and drier) than any drysuit I ever owned. I'm sold on the integral hood for warmth and minimal water intrusion. Mine is a few years old when it was made as a 5.5/4. The 5.5 mm is from ankle to neck with the arms only at 4mm. I picked mine up for 350$, so a cheap option. They make a 6/4 now also.
JP
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that integrated hoods are warmer, but I'm not alone in disliking them. They're even a dealbreaker for me. I swivel my head full right and left MANY times per reach because I'm making ant tracks at full speed in crowds, so the resistance got tiring even when I was much younger and couldn't hear my neck turning.

I pretty much eliminate water intrusion (and warm my carotids and inner ear) with a neoprene or fleece neck gaiter.
BritishSteve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting discussion, as I have been pondering getting a replacement for my very old (2000) Bare Dry-suit. This has been a great suit, and although I have replaced the latex seals many times it still works. I took a fairly long swim in 38F / 38F after breaking a mast, and apart from the unpleasant experience of being slapped in the face by the cold water, I was fine. Plenty of room under the bag for multiple layers if needed. I thought you could spray the bag top to re-waterproof? I recently purchased the promotion Storm 5/3 wet-suit, and with the advantage of being able to zip it myself, and the addition of a 2 mm neo top, I was able to sail in conditions about 45F. Anything colder I find everything gets brittle and I have had a couple of sails rip, and also I can't keep my hands warm?!?
donwh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritishSteve Wrote:
Quote:
This is a very interesting discussion, as I have been pondering getting a replacement for my very old (2000) Bare Dry-suit. This has been a great suit, and although I have replaced the latex seals many times it still works. I took a fairly long swim in 38F / 38F after breaking a mast, and apart from the unpleasant experience of being slapped in the face by the cold water, I was fine. Plenty of room under the bag for multiple layers if needed. I thought you could spray the bag top to re-waterproof?

I have owned numerous models of baggy top drysuits over the years. All of them worked great until the upper part became permeable making the suit useless. As I said, I have my drysuit here in great shape that has to be trashed. I wish there was a way of waterproofing for the upper part...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it the same way the manufacturer does it: Nikwax. They make a variety of spray-on and wash-in products that do a good job on GoreTex and other waterproof fabrics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: