myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pulled middle of hamstring--when to return...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: pulled middle of hamstring--when to return... Reply with quote

I am doing PT and about 3.5 weeks post injury. Feeling almost normal, but I can feel an ache when simulating a water start with my left leg (on a big bouncy ball--pulling leg toward me while in a plank position on my back). My PT does not quite understand windsurfing, but is indeed helping.

Hamstring strength is almost equal on both sides...but I do not want to hit the water too soon. I hiked 9 and 8.5 miles with a couple thousand feet of gain up and down. I think in a good wind (easily pulling me on to the board), I should be ok.

I know there are some PTs out there. I am looking at 4 weeks or so left of sailing for the summer and would love to get back on the water, but don't want to re-injure. Any advice other than give it a go and test it during short periods with plenty of rest in between and conservative sailing.
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: pulled middle of hamstring--when to return... Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
I am doing PT and about 3.5 weeks post injury. Feeling almost normal, but I can feel an ache when simulating a water start with my left leg (on a big bouncy ball--pulling leg toward me while in a plank position on my back). My PT does not quite understand windsurfing, but is indeed helping.

Hamstring strength is almost equal on both sides...but I do not want to hit the water too soon. I hiked 9 and 8.5 miles with a couple thousand feet of gain up and down. I think in a good wind (easily pulling me on to the board), I should be ok.

I know there are some PTs out there. I am looking at 4 weeks or so left of sailing for the summer and would love to get back on the water, but don't want to re-injure. Any advice other than give it a go and test it during short periods with plenty of rest in between and conservative sailing.

I think I'd sail if water starting were my only concern.

I've had so many injuries in my 40 years of windsurfing, and a lot of them have been easy to work around. If it's only an issue after a fall, don't fall. If it's only an issue when you water start one direction, always water start going the other direction then turn back.

If the wind is good I suspect you can get up without putting much pressure on the hamstring.

I think you need to try it to find out. Test it out carefully and if it doesn't work give it more time.
merriam2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve is a great PT and windsurfer. Hopefully he will see this post and reply otherwise I will mention it to him when I see him. I would follow his advice.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamstring injuries can be nagging and chronic because of their nature. It is a strong, long group of several muscles. I have no idea who your PT is, and I prefer not to undermine a local provider I may well know.
My initial advice would have been to demonstrate a dry water start to your PT so dynamic, ballistic activities should and could have been mimicked. At least that is how I would have treated you.
In general, if you are under 30-35, you heal well, and got excellent rehab, you are probably 80-90%. Subtract at least 5% for every 5 years and an additional 5-15% for less-than-excellent rehab (no judgment intended). These injuries often caught small amounts of dense scar tissue which limits the muscle's ability to stretch (elongateunder tension) or contract (shorten under tension). The more intense the activity, the more likely that re-injury will occur. So, a really strong effort to waterstart as the wind dies is far more likely to re-injure the tissue that a 30mph gust that lifts you out easily. The same goes for a strong move ripping on a swell.
If you really want to sail and you are willing to give up some time away from biking or other sports as you recover from a re-injury, have at it. Overall, the smoother the day, the more likely you will be successful. The wilder the day, the higher the risk. Hope this helps.
Happy to help more specifically if you want to contact me. 541-806-7838. Steve
nada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore my hamstring in two places sailing last year, so a bit nastier than yours which sounds more like a "sprain/deep pull" if you are doing this well less than a month out.

I took 3 months off and started PT about a month after the injury, did that for 2 months, then started back in the gym. Total grind, but all one can do is" the Ghandi" and suck it up...Every doc I saw (on beach and in clinic said the same thing: "Hamstrings take time."

My biggest fear for you is not so much water starting, but re-injuring due to some sudden, unexpected move/reaction which could hyper-extend it and really set you back.

If you feel it still tugging on the ball, I'd give it another 10 days and keep camping on that ice bag.

Plus, it's late August so you're not missing all that much...

Best of luck!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nada wrote:
keep camping on that ice bag.

Isn't heat, or better yet altenating heat/cold contrast treatment, superior to ice this long after a soft-tissue injury?
loonie2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing of topic for me. I too am managing a hamstring injury. Judging by your rest time my was probably not as bad. However, current stage may be similar. My experience agrees with the other posts. I could do that hamstring ball exercise without discomfort before going back. The easy basics were fine. The risk, of course, is the unexpected. Also, I found it surprising the ways the hamstring gets worked. It's the sudden movements that are the main problem. Can't say I took it quite as easy as I should and will take a couple of days off now. Back to work next week so that will give rest time. Having said this, I know better than to allow something to become nagging (I do wind sports year round). If you do go back out, as with all return from injuries, be measured and thoughtful.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

Follow your Doctor advise /instructions. Trust your own judgement.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jgda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I am going to wait another week. Looking for pain free in simulating a water start...just don't trust it quite yet but getting there!!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When going back, think Zen. It's all about being together in your movements to optimize balance and control, with very little stress. It's harnessing the forces in an elegant and useful way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: