myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom slides down and mast protection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:
NoLimitz shim with NoLimitz RDM. So much friction. Smile Even when unclamp the boom can barely slide that up and down the mast to adjust the boom height.

Use your third hand or either knee against the opposite boom arm to maintain a little pressure in the direction you're trying to slide the boom. This keeps the plane of the boom pretty near 90 degrees to the mast. Then it takes little more than taps on the boom to slide it up or down, even offshore.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to adjust the the height of the boom on the mast after rigging, do you release the outhaul to make the adjustment? Speaking for myself, I have no problem making an adjustment with the Maui Sails shim which is notably larger than the NoLimitz shim.

Regarding the issue of slippage of the boom while sailing, I'm absolutely convinced that the standard rubber/composite shims I mentioned prevent the problem from happening.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding some texture to the boom clamp area of the mast could help prevent slipping. Lightly sand the mast with 150 grit paper to scuff the surface and promote adhesion. Then wipe clean with acetone. Paint on some epoxy and wrap with peel ply to add texture. As an alternative, you could probably sprinkle some granulated sugar over the epoxy to add texture similar to what is done to add texture to a board deck. If the final texture is too agressive, you could then lightly sand down until you get to where you want it. Just don’t sand into the glass/carbon fibers.

On another note, Windsurfing Hawaii were great booms at the time, but haven’t been made for 20 or so years. If that boom has seen significant use, it may be worth considering an upgrade both as prevention against failure and to take advantage of some of the new features of more modern booms which tend to work quite well on RDM masts without the need for shims.

sm
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34966 or down below if it's too much work clicking twice:

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sm,

Actually, Windsurfing Hawaii booms ended up being a total crap product. They were the reason that I committed to never buying another aluminum boom ever again. The last year that I used them, the 1991 season, I broke six WSH front ends, and paid the price. It was over.
Tipster1947

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for feedback.

My longer WH power tapers failed at about 10yo. Smaller ones minimally extended and actually more solid than Chinook Pro alloy or carbons. No one has ever engineered as sand-proof a boom as WH. Heads are bulletproof and far and away the most user friendly. If they made new ones, I'd get in line.

My Chinook carbon is SDM plus shim and never slips on new mast. Slipping rig is older mast, so maybe it is too smooth.

I like suggestion to try different shims. Rubber may be hardening. That would be plan A.
Tipster1947

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
What is slipping? I think you are describing that the shim is slipping down the mast, but the boom is holding the shim OK. Some shims are not very flexible or sticky and hold their pre-molded shape too well. Your boom clamp has to squeeze against the resistance of the shim. Maybe change the shim. The best shims I ever had were home made out of thick transparent flexible (vinyl?) plumbing hose that has criss-cross fiber imbedded in it, the diameter was just a bit smaller than the RDM mast, maybe 1/4" thick, so that when you cut it open, it fits around the mast with only a small gap. Very tacky on both sides, very flexible but not compressible. Found it at hardware store. Cheap too.
Yes, shim is slipping on mast. Plumbing hose solution sounds interesting. What happens if you need to adjust boom height? I'd be concerned that the pipe would stay on mast and boom would slide up and down. Do you just use a long length to give you room?
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you make the shim, you can make it as long as you want, stick out any amount you want. I think no problem have it stick out 2" top and bottom. This is the friction you want though. Depending on the diameter of the pipe, the gap in the shim will vary and you can trim the pipe to make it bigger. You can put that gap anywhere, even the front of the sail. The pipe is very flexible for its thickness, it's vinyl. I think I recall it was very easy to pry your thumb into the gap and loosen the shim from the mast. Probably could do it without removing rope from boom clamp, just unclamp.
As suggested previously, putting a layer of West systems epoxy around the mast is also easy quick cheap way to add a tacky layer to mast (buy a small-use pack).
I'ts amazing that the WH boom is still alive.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I got so negative about WSH. I bought my first WHS boom in 1986, and it was their tight-on style before the clamp-on front ends were released. For many years WSH was the premiere brand, and I was dedicated to the brand, and I was fully committed to their mast extensions as well.

During the 1991 season on a trip to Maui, I broke my WSH front end, and bought a HPL aluminum boom save the trip. I have to say that the HPL suffered the same kind of fate a number of times.

Really, my problem was aluminum booms. Aluminum still haunted me in the front ends of Gulftech carbon booms for many years. It was only after I was able to buy 100% carbon booms that I finally arrived at the right solution for me.

Edit - After some thought, I have to say that it was the 1992 season rather than the 1991 season when I had my crazy problem with WSH front ends. My apologies.
Tipster1947

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with comments about WH booms. I had several generation before they went out of business. Only last gen figured out sand issues. Previous ones were nightmares. Current ones are run with smaller sails, at minimal extension. I did have two sibling larger booms break the same day, in the same place on the bay using the same sail. Scavenging parts made a nice ghost rig.

On topic, it is interesting to hear different views on friction enhancement. I have some other shims to try and plenty of West System epoxy which I had already planned to use on older mast wear areas anyway (preceded by light sanding to facilitate adhesion).

My newer Chinook Pro-Alloy booms with convertible head seem fine and carbon boom with the wrap around clamp and shim also works fine. Maybe the one and only disadvantage of RDMs is smaller contact area. Never the less, it wouldn't surprise me to see SDMs go away as RDM prices come down. I'll never go back.

Too much friction can also be a problem since switching to Ezzys that like a lot of out-haul. Adjusting boom height intentionally can be tough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: