myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Wind Range for Various Size Sail
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve8650

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Windsurf Wind Range for Various Size Sail Reply with quote

I am looking at getting into the sport but want to understand what the wind range is for different size sails and my weight. I want to see how often I will be able to get out on the water

I am going to be looking at sailing on lake Michigan and inland lakes.

I weigh 180lbs. What is the right wind range for a 5.0 and 6.0 sail?

Thanks.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most frustrating things I've encountered is the wind strength issue. In some locales the winds are chronically under reported. Others, over stated. In FL, I use a 5.0 in 22-30. In Maui, a friend of mine will use a 4.2 sail. There, when the wind "touches 35" he's on a 3.7 sail. I'd still be on a 5.0 and loving it in FL.

In FL, I'd use a 6.0 in winds 18-27.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurf Wind Range for Various Size Sail Reply with quote

steve8650 wrote:

Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "right" wind range. It's all about personal choices and objectives even BESIDES the problems with measuring the wind on the water. You will see similar-sized guys using 3.5s and 6.5s and everything in between in the same patch of water at the same time, all of them quite happy with their choice because they sail differently.

FOR A BEGINNER/NOVICE, 5.0-6.0 might cover average wind speeds from 3 mph (if you don't sail every possible moment, you will progress very slowly) to low 20s. Don't try to plan for the gusts; learning to handle them is part of the learning process. Don't buy a sail to plane in the low teens; I can't imagine a better way to hate WSing than trying to learn it on huge sails. IMO your cutoff should be in the 6.0-6.5 meter range. As for cams ... be careful what cammed sails you buy; many of the older ones were major PITAs to rig and use, and I'll bet some still are.

Mike \m/
nies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take. I'M 190 and sail both the Great Lakes and inland too. Once you are comfortable planing a 6.0 it will probably work nicely from 17-24 and the 5.0 from 20-almost thirty, depending on the type of sail and how you rig it. Like I said this is when you are comfortable planing and in the straps. For beginners learning on a big board I have seen a 6.0 sail nicely in winds a lot less than 17...like Mike says there are a lot of variables. Large sails are a pain. I made most of my early progress on a retro 6.5.

bill
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can figure out the exact sizes for different wind strengths and body weights with a spreadsheet calculator I made. It's at the link below:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html

According the calculator, at your weight you would need 20 mph to plane comfortably with the 6.0 and 25 mph to plane with the 5.0.

HOWEVER, you don't need or want that much wind when you are learning, since you won't be attempting to plane. You only need about 3 mph to do basic, non-planing windsurfing on a big board with a daggerboard. And anything over 15 mph would probably be too much for you, even with the 5.0. So you're looking at 3-15 mph for now.

The 5.0 and 6.0, once you pair them up with a big board with a daggerboard, will be fine for beginning. Later, when you want more power to work on planing you will add a sail around 7.5 or larger.

Last edited by d0uglass on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
you don't need or want that much wind when you are learning, since you won't be attempting to plane.

Once again, different strokes for different folks. I tried like hell to plane every time I sailed, including my first day ever on a board (winds averaging about 15-20 mph all afternoon at Deer Creek, UT). I planed on my second day, and every subsequent day with sufficient gusts. I sailed every breezy day, but given enough wind, planing was top priority. (I got PLENTY of non-planing "practice" and LOTS of catapults.)

Mike \m/
marcelo1971

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there guys, when u guys say depend the type of sail, what is that mean, I know there are different sizes but what is the different of design of sail?? thanks
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurf Wind Range for Various Size Sail Reply with quote

steve8650 wrote:
I am looking at getting into the sport but want to understand what the wind range is for different size sails and my weight. I want to see how often I will be able to get out on the water

I am going to be looking at sailing on lake Michigan and inland lakes.

Thanks.

IMO, you want sails that are no-cam, reasonably light and easy to handle, reasonably (but not too) powerful. Fun sails. Don't spend a lot, because you don't know yet what you'll really end up liking: flat water blasting, waves, freestyle, slalom... who knows? Get some good, general purpose freeride sails. Get used ones or new ones that are a few years old.

I started out with some very beat up sails that were about $50 each, and lasted about one season -- not a bad deal. Then I got "last year's" North Naturals in 5.4 and 6.2, which are fine freeride sails, and worked quite nicely in winds from 12-13mph to high 20s. Now I use much more rugged wave sails. Your path might take a similar direction.

If you can find two sails that will fit on the same mast, then it's worth the extra expense to get a good mast (75% carbon or more). A good, light mast will make it way easier to learn to tack and jibe.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of different sails, but in a nut shell - Camber inducers create a fixed wing shape in the sail. Good for racing, speed & control in overpowered conditions, but not good for beginners or novice sailors for a variety of reasons.

Anything less than 10 years old will be a good sail (design wise). There are good sails that are 10-15 years old, but it's a gamble if you don't know what you are buying (design wise).

1. Race sails - 3 or more camber inducers for advanced - experts.

2. Freeride with 1-3 camber inducers - for intermediates to advanced.

3. Freeride sails - no camber inducers - beginner-advanced. What you need if you are a beginner. Good all around sails.

4. Wave and Freestyle - no camber inducers, good for intermediate - advanced
marcelo1971

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks techno900 and swmckay for ur answers. I need to ask you for more info and u guys can help me. I in a small town in MN, here nobody practice windsurf so I have no body to ask stuff, here the wind goes from mild 10 mph to 35-40. I used to practice surf so I have some skills on boards but WS is very technical and too much about equipment. I was thinking to buy an old EQ but people told me that the tech change constantly so I can get something old and then dont find part to fixed sooo, I rented a WS this summer, I used a 6.o sail and started with a long board and later a smaller board, I can sail with the small board no problem and I can get fast speed, there is where I am. Now, I am interested in buy my own and I am interested in speed, maneuverability and jumping small waves bec is a lake. I want something to push me to learn, I am fast learner so i dont want to invest in something that in a month I will want to change. I was reading ur comments guys about the sails but it looks Japanese for me, I have no idea what are u talking about, it is possible to re post ur comments with a link or pic showing the thing u are talking about? about boards and sails. Another question, when i sail my forearms muscles get tooooo tired, I tried to use a "leach" attached to my waist but the gusty wind trow my over the sail so I dont know how to fix that, what am I doing wrong? any good teaching videos??
Thanks you very much guys for ur help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: