myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for windsurfing instructor around Santa Monica area
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
While I've never sailing there, a possible alternative to Leo Carrillo could be Zuma Beach. Endless sand bottom with no rocks or seaweed makes things a lot easier, but there still can be waves to deal with at times. It's a bit more onshore, but it still gets much of the wind that Leo sees. Kiters have been taking advantage of the west end of Zuma around Trancas for some years now.
Zuma can have bad shore break!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most all ocean launches can have big enough waves and tough tidal conditions that will make things difficult at times. But as you know, we can go for long periods with very swell and wave activity, but with good enough wind conditions to have a good time sailing about.
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical progression in the LA area is Alamitos Bay in Long Beach to get light wind and basic harness skill then onto Belmont Shore (shuffle your feet!) or Inside Cabrillo for water starting. If you are ocean comfy then you can try Cabrillo outside. Cabrillo is usually one closeout wave and, depending on conditions can be nearly flat. There is a facebook page for Cabrillo of just go down there between 3-5 PM on thermal afternoons and there willl be sailors on both the inside and outside.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Leo and Zuma: If Leo is a bad idea for a beginner, then Zuma would be worse. While it's true that Zuma is a sandy bottom, the shorebreak, and the break overall, is not for beginners. After surfing Zuma for many years, and getting severely punished on hundreds of occasions, I don't seriously consider sailing there. With the price of new windsurfing equipment being what it is, and despite having sailed since the late eighties, I wouldn't sail Zuma. And as far as sandy bottoms, Jalama has a sandy bottom. Very Happy

I was at Jalama some months back and a local Leo guy pulled up and said, "It really doesn't look that bad for Jalama". He pulled away to rig just as I was telling him that he hadn't been watching it very long. He went out with two different rigs, downsizing on the second setup, and suffered a Jalama bone-beating both times. It's to his credit that he tried to get out. Still, his not getting out that day probably made it possible for his family to celebrate another Xmas with dad in 2020. But I digress...

And speaking of Leo. C., it's been fun for the surfers of late, but torture for windsurfers. I used to think it was a mass hallucination we Leo lechers...er...locals were sharing as we spoke about the winds of yesteryear. This year I'm convinced that the only real hallucination would be if one saw (OK, I know you can't see wind. You know what I'm saying, prospective smart-snarges.Wink ) wind there at all. I.E., sure, there's rocks, kelp, surfers, and waves. But at least there's no wind. Crying or Very sad
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is sailing at Jalama a disaster? It can be, and I've paid a price there on occasion, but it's not a foregone conclusion. I've had many rewarding days there over the years, just because I was willing to give it a go.

In windsurfing, you need to take chances, but still know your limits. If the conditions are beyond your abilities or comfort zone, you don't go out that day. Pretty simple really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: