myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roosevelt Park?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Roosevelt Park? Reply with quote

Has anybody heard if Roosevelt is back open from last weeks wind damage?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, this is the Corps of Engineers, just one step short of the federal gum'mint. The head ranger for that region told me several days ago they might hold some meetings this week about the damage. Their solution options, based on their history and previous stated objectives, could include just cleaning up the debris (including a BIG tree), inspecting every park tree to preclude more limbs or whole trees coming down, removing all trees large enough to injure someone, etc.

I'm not holding my breath.
a123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Roosevelt Park? Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
Has anybody heard if Roosevelt is back open from last weeks wind damage?

Couple of kiters launching at Roosevelt right now. The park host is there and they must have gotten permission.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging! Are the trees and limbs removed, or has the fire marshall simply decided no more trees are about to fall? What do the signs say, and is the entrance still completely blocked off by Corps and Fire Marshall cones and surveyor's tape?

i.e., can I let my breath out now?
a123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That's encouraging! Are the trees and limbs removed, or has the fire marshall simply decided no more trees are about to fall? What do the signs say, and is the entrance still completely blocked off by Corps and Fire Marshall cones and surveyor's tape?

i.e., can I let my breath out now?

I can't say if it has trees down still or is blocked off. I was in Arlington with my binoculars. Its possible they begged the host to let them launch and probable the park is still closed. It's still a good sign.
ckeller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove by yesterday. Trees are still down all parking lots a blocked with signs that say no day use. Lawn has not been mowed either.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a123 wrote:
I was in Arlington with my binoculars. Its possible they begged the host to let them launch and probable the park is still closed. It's still a good sign.

Exactly what I suspected. The camp host has a car, and was probably away. He is extremely nice and helpful, but is under strict orders from the Corps, the Fire Marshall, and the Sheriff to keep EVERYONE the hell out of there. For all I know the person I saw fishing on the jetty is his wife; there were no other cars there.

As long as some park employees have wanted the trees removed and the lawn never watered or mowed, considering the liability concerns, considering the pace at which the Corps usually moves in non-urgent local tasks, and considering the aversion to physical labor I've witnessed over the years in physical labor contractors there, this could take a while. I hope this is an exception, but at least two other trees also threaten the lawn and its occupants quite severely. A big, broken limb of Damocles has been dangling over the most densely packed patch of grass in the whole park for a couple of years, and probably the biggest tree in the park is hanging on by a thread since beavers ate its trunk a couple of years ago after the Corps (or its hired hands) removed the beaver-proofing fences Randy and I installed on all the park's trees decades ago. A strong-enough SW wind and it's coming down on the southwest end of the lawn some day.

I don't mind the deep grass; it's the rattlesnakes' and rats'/mice's fondness of it that bothers me.
kurtvr7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still closed yesterday. I wish that I would have know before making the drive.
Big tree uprooted fell toward the river.
schweitzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope ?

The camp host is awesome.
He now has control of the sprinkler timers.
HE is keeping the grass alive.
It has been mowed.

The trees have been marked for removal.
just a few.
Many more are marked for
dead wood trimming.

This project is out for bid.
The process will bring disaster
money to The Core.
But it IS a Govumint Process.
The clock is ticking!

As before, The sailing options
remain Very Limited.

IMG_20200712_135856.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.59 MB
 Viewed:  37653 Time(s)

IMG_20200712_135856.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schweitzer wrote:
The trees have been marked for removal.

Let me guess: the 80-footers lying on the ground have been spray painted. Very Happy

Next come the sledge hammers for cutting them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: