myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
prove me wrong.... coronavirus is not airborne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The after effects issue is my most worrying, assuming one survives the initial illness. There were always warnings that there could be problems, and the virus has now been at large for long enough for clearer data to be collated, which seemingly paints a grim picture.

As you say, there will be significant factors such as blood type, genetics, and past illnesses. Being a keen cyclist, where lung function is critical, I have checked for reports from other cyclists who have contracted the virus, and recovered. Some have reported struggling to regain proper form (taking a long and slow training program) and only one claims to have returned to full efficiency. (Perhaps not being honest!)

As to the vaccine, if and when, I take your point of wait and see for the elderly. There is bound to be a percentage of bad reactions (I am allergic to one form of anti-biotic, and found out the hard way) but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Life is a privilege which is not to be thrown away needlessly. Take care!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I remain a conservative!! Laughing Laughing
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT

Every Wednesday and Friday my wife is involved in meetings at the hospital for the medical staff. One meeting is a case presentation meeting and the other is an education meeting. During CV, the meetings are online. So, I’ve been sitting through the education meeting...the other meeting is for docs only...

Obviously, CV is a major subject.

A couple things I’ve learned.

At least early on, the source for transmission was determined to be, largely, close contact with an infected person. Infection via contact surfaces, in the public environment, was not thought to be a significant source of transmission. This was determined through contact tracing. Most of the infected could trace the source of the transmission.

Transmission, generally, requires a “dose” of the virus that is large enough to cause infection. At least in those that develop a full blown case of the virus. So, it may be possible that light cases of the virus are spread through contact with surfaces and those cases were not studied.

Also, the long term effects are the current big worry among this medical staff. So far, little is known about this. There just hasn’t been time. But, lung damage from many sources can have long term and permanent effects.

I’m thinking with your careful consideration to maintaining social distancing and avoiding public surfaces, the likelihood of you catching the virus is low. This is predicated on the assumption that the overall population does not become widely infected. With your health, you are, likely, not at a high risk of a bad infection.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is sad... another example if masks were the protector these teachers would not have caught it. Because they did wear their masks at all times. But you no mater what do touch surfaces no matter how careful you are and touch your face.

again if you look at construction is is generally outdoors (shame they do not break down these stats indoor and outdoor) and it is in general easy to social distance yet construction has a very high rate of infection. Why because hey throw me the level, toss a box of screws up to me, hand me the 2/6 x16 and so on. so much contact.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/3-arizona-teachers-who-shared-classroom-contract-coronavirus-leaving-1-dead/ar-BB16GsGM?ocid=msedgntp

3 Arizona teachers who shared classroom contract coronavirus, leaving 1 dead

Quote:
Officials with the Hayden Winkelman School District said each of the teachers got sick despite adhering to protocol such as wearing masks and gloves and practicing social distancing, CNN reported.

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS,

Sounds like you have the right idea about this situation and are taking the right precautions. It seems like the more we learn about this, the more questions we all have!

I read a good article online by BBC News about why some very fit people are still suffering severely after several months! One of the top 20 Crossfitters in England is still severely ill after several months! Here is a link to the article if you are interested in reading it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53368768

Stay safe and healthy!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting article about herd immunity in the context of the coronavirus. Worth the read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/herd-immunity-coronavirus/614035/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to write in, and say how they see things. Past mistakes are sad, but now irrelevant. It's where we are now that serious minded people worry about.

This thread has thrown up information that I find of real value. Doubtless there are revelations yet to come, but the real fright for me is the now the likely severe whole body aftereffects, even to those who were extremely fit and well pre infection. (Quoted in that B.B.C. article.)

I original wondered if it might not have been a good idea to let myself become infected with a very mild dose of virus, to get it over with and build the necessary anti-bodies? Clearly, with current knowledge that would have been a bad idea!

Our Chief Medical Officer predicts a severe second wave this winter, combined with the seasonal flu.He forecasts many more deaths. this is based on the premise that the country MUST go back to work this winter to avoid catastrophic economic meltdown, and indoor working will be a breeding ground, despite best attempts at prevention.

I shall certainly get the flu jab this year, as he advises all to do, then perhaps do my hermit impression, up on the high moors every day on my M.T.B. (It's good to be retired.) I can always talk to any wildlife that cares to listen, though I exclude gormless idiotic sheep. (They just stand and look at you, as though you've got a screw loose!

I'm currently in a battle with an angry territorial Grouse which, on one of my steep climbs I get off and chase, as he sets up his defiance in front of me. One of these days I'll catch the little sod, and give him a stiff talking to! I don't take orders from a bunch of feathers. We rule the world, you know!!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT

I had to laugh about the grouse. We had a grouse in Durango on a bike trail a number of years back. Very territorial. If you are a fan of Monty Python, it felt a bit like being attacked by the rabbit in the Search for the Holy Grail. We would see riders coming down the hill...laughing and bleeding. Then it was each of our turns to round the corner where the grouse hung out. Sometimes you got chased down the trail. Sometimes it was a cold, ruthless ambush.

After the first attack, my dog wouldn't go near that corner. She chose to cut the switchback. The hell with protecting her humans. That was beyond the call of duty.

This persisted for a couple months and I have the scars on my calves to prove it.

Careful out there...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty funny. There were grouse attacks , while skiing on Red Mountain in South Eastern B.C., when I was there a while back.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read. Consistent with observations that this may be a disease of the blood, and you are better off with type O and at higher risk with type A.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-complications-covid-von-willebrand-factor.html?fbclid=IwAR3LANZbYLSeg6D-LOI5nhehlU9HNbfSFyxIeQvi3fmvkiLO8ltG6E4bf8E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 13 of 72

Jump to: