myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
some general foil question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: some general foil question Reply with quote

for those that foil.

with "x" size sail rigged....do you move the mast forward or back depending on wind? ex: you have it in the middle...and everything feels right. But then the wind start to pickup. would you move the mast forward to help keep the foil down ? and bring it back if the wind drops off...to help get the foil up ? or do you adjust the sail only ...... then after maybe then start messing with the mast track postion?

and let's just say you have no other sail to rig...or more accurately you are too lazy to re rig another sail.

today was my second time on the slingshot freestyle 115 (not second time foiling). was on a 5.3 but should have been on a 4.7m. so trying to keep the foil down was a chore. I did move the mast track forward 3/4 position which helped ...
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right position is the right position.
OP'ed, while moving base forward puts more weight on the mast base, you also tend to take the sail back, which causes lift not drive, and lighten weight on base.
Conversely underpowered, you need to get the board close to planing speed, and moving track back shortens waterline so you plane up later.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont adjust the mast track for different windspeeds or sail sizes.

It takes me at least 5 sessions on a new board to find the settings that work (I have had 4 boards). This goes quicker if you can easily get back to the beach and adjust things during a session.

It seems like I am trying to achieve some kind of similarity in foil mast to mast track distance and mast track to front foot strap distance. Then the riding is similar between boards.

I can share the settings I use on my freestyle if you want, but probably best you experiment with how you like it. It is a kickarse board by the way.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foil friend has the 115. He felt like he could not get things balanced properly.
He was foiling the 105 Wizard with great success. He decided to change the head on the foil and use the adjustable foil track. He has the foil forward of the tuttle mount. Works great for him now
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.....right now I am using Tuttle mount. only foiled on it 2x. and both times were not ideal....not enough wind.....and the other time too much wind for sail. moving the mast track forward with the overpowering conditions did help...but sail size was too large....when a lull came it felt a lot better. I may go to the track mount eventually. and probably 3 straps...right now 4 straps is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: