myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rock Creek, locals (97040) only!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ugliness brewing in the Gorge about territory isn't coming from the locals.
Bond1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
The ugliness brewing in the Gorge about territory isn't coming from the locals.

I believe this is as close to a true statement as most anything I've seen on these forums in a while.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny, the attitudes and comments by people who 1) don't live anywhere near the Gorge and 2) obviously haven't been to Rock Creek in who-knows-when or perhaps that one time when they got bounced off the water by some horrendous chop (but especially and obviously not this Spring). If you did, you would know that it has gotten crowded at times because there are bottlenecks. And it is a small beach. One kite launch at a time!

So, no. You don't know better than the people who live in Mosier and make the decisions.

I prefer to shred elsewhere, because I like bigger smoother conditions. I wanted to do a downwinder to Rowena yesterday, but I couldn't because there was nowhere to land and hitchhike from. I know because I rode bike to the Rowena overlook. The state park ranger was there, educating and enforcing the state park closure. We talked; he told some stories of his enforcement experiences. Some people can't handle being told "No." very well.

Most people have obviously been good about not invading. Otherwise, it would be a lot worse and the beach would be closed completely. Thank you for this.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I wanted to do a downwinder to Rowena yesterday, but I couldn't because there was nowhere to land and hitchhike from.

Why fight this old suggestion:
Drive to Maryhill.
Walk down the OPEN boat ramp onto Da River.
Launch.
Turn left.
Downwind yerassoff to the John Day Dam ... well, almost.
Turn around and sail back to the Maryhill boat ramp.

It's all legal, fun, and something different, at least in scope. And if the wind shuts off, the escalator is still running at several knots. You can sit on your board and eat lunch -- SAMMICH, anyone? -- and you'll be back to the boat launch ramp toot suite.
vientomas

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I think it's funny, the attitudes and comments by people who 1) don't live anywhere near the Gorge and 2) obviously haven't been to Rock Creek in who-knows-when or perhaps that one time when they got bounced off the water by some horrendous chop (but especially and obviously not this Spring). If you did, you would know that it has gotten crowded at times because there are bottlenecks. And it is a small beach. One kite launch at a time!

So, no. You don't know better than the people who live in Mosier and make the decisions.

I prefer to shred elsewhere, because I like bigger smoother conditions. I wanted to do a downwinder to Rowena yesterday, but I couldn't because there was nowhere to land and hitchhike from. I know because I rode bike to the Rowena overlook. The state park ranger was there, educating and enforcing the state park closure. We talked; he told some stories of his enforcement experiences. Some people can't handle being told "No." very well.

Most people have obviously been good about not invading. Otherwise, it would be a lot worse and the beach would be closed completely. Thank you for this.

So, it's OK for you to "invade" Rowena, hitchhike and catch a ride with someone from outside your zip code? But god forbid some infidel tread on your Mosier territory? Rolling Eyes
windfind

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Biff,

I understand of course that you could only accept rides, while hitchhiking, from pickup trucks with your wet sail, board etc. so you would be COVID safe. And I will ignore the appearance of hypocrisy since, unlike Mosier, there are no closures along your downwinder.

Your Rowena downwinder is very doable. Using our new iwindsurf.com in map mode zoom in to the area downwind of Dougs. Keep zooming in until you see our new GREEN sensor near the water in the Murdock area. (see below) If both the Dougs and this Murdock sensor have strong wind a downwinder would succeed.

All you need is a place to pull out on the Oregon side. Kiters solved that problem years ago. Just zoom out a bit. One of them with a pickup might even give you a ride. If not, well there are lots of cars zooming by.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

TEMPZZ28194D47.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.63 KB
 Viewed:  13690 Time(s)

TEMPZZ28194D47.jpg

vientomas

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only rides from pick up trucks with all seats occupied. Can't ride in the truck bed otherwise without violating the seat belt requirment.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.215

Biff seems like a real law and order guy so I'm sure he would comply.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchhiking includes (especially) getting an easy ride (gear included) west from a parking area, such as Rowena/(East) Mayer State Park. Pretty sure that wasn't possible as Mayer State Park is closed. I don't stick thumb out on freeway. Now is not the time for random hitchhiking.

It's easy to poke holes. Making something happen is a lot tougher.
AlexM

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@windfind, is there any significance to the fact that your new "club shred" sensor is green? Is it a live sensor like the yellow ones? I hope so! And if it is, many thanks - live sensors are what make iwindsurf indispensable around here imho.

Parenthetically, I've observed that the links for "sensor notes" that appear when you click on a yellow sensor in the so-called classicIW are not present in the standard iwindsurf display or in the dynamic map view. That might be something to include in an update someday.

And on a related note, is there any word on when the Rowena sensor might get back online? Not that we really need it right at the moment, but I've detected a lot of rumors to the effect that the state parks on both sides of the river are highly likely to open for day use by the end of the week (please not mere wishful thinking!).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexM wrote:
@windfind, is there any significance to the fact that your new "club shred" sensor is green? Is it a live sensor like the yellow ones? I hope so! And if it is, many thanks - live sensors are what make iwindsurf indispensable around here imho.

Parenthetically, I've observed that the links for "sensor notes" that appear when you click on a yellow sensor in the so-called classicIW are not present in the standard iwindsurf display or in the dynamic map view. That might be something to include in an update someday.

And on a related note, is there any word on when the Rowena sensor might get back online? Not that we really need it right at the moment, but I've detected a lot of rumors to the effect that the state parks on both sides of the river are highly likely to open for day use by the end of the week (please not mere wishful thinking!).

Is this considered a hi jack

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: