myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
It is still safe to Windsurf
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: It is still safe to Windsurf Reply with quote

Anyone been hitting the water recently. Probably the most solitary kind of exercise I can think of and helps clear your mind of any stress.

It would be sad to see that this pandemic could cause the demise of this truly great sport.

So far Connecticut and Massachusetts have been pretty lenient with my windsurfing endeavors (totally avoiding RI) thus far. Sailed down in New London, CT last weekend and just came back from sailing in Plymouth, MA yesterday (spoke with the Plymouth Harbormaster, at a distance, at the town park that I was sailing from and he told me that it was one of the more positive things going on in town and gave me the big thumbs up!). Sailed at a low risk location, waist to chest deep and on-shore on my 2.8 and later my 3.2. My prime location, Plymouth Long Beach, unfortunately was closed, probably too rough anyway...

Drove over to Manomet Pt. and conditions there were insane...

It is too bad that many of the beaches are being closed due to people wanting to gather and not be at least 6 feet apart and now to have to go to those secret unknown places that I have gone to over the years.

Looks like NY State is ok too.

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/news/local-news/snapshot-having-the-hudson-all-to-himself/article_e6efad20-75ea-11ea-a74e-43459874b26f.html#1

Lars
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is NJ many of the popular ocean side boardwalks have been closed - they are very popular for walking/biking so they attracted too many people. However, you are permitted in most areas to cross over the boardwalk and access the beach for walking, surfing, etc. Many of the popular windsurfing launches are also still open and readily accessible. Kiters & sailors look to be keeping good distance. Park police have been positive too. As we head into to prime sailing months, we may be blessed to still keep this access provided we spread out in parking lots instead of mobbing the closest spots near the waters edge and keeping extra distance when talking, rigging, etc. Be willing to rig away from others and carry you gear some extra distance to stay safe and maintain access. We can continue to sail, kite, surf safely through this with some common sense.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land sailing on parking lots is easier now than ever before because of all the closed public schools, universities, churches. I sailed on a 940 space parking lot Friday that had only one vehicle other than my own (University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls IA).
Iowa is one of five without a shelter in place order. We do have no meeting of 10 or more + closure of bars, restaurants & other places if maintaining a 6' distance is difficult (other than medical). Restaurants are open only for telephoned takeout. Grocery & hardware stores are open, usually with some kind of shield between customer & checkout clerk.
Water sailing will start for me on Tuesday with winds about 10 mph, gusts to 22 & temperatures in low to mid 70s. Our parks are open; lots of walking going on. (Going to walk with my wife today to see if the bluebells are open yet.)
killeen_john

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our parks and beaches here in Darien, CT have been closed to vehicular traffic.
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Horseneck beach MA Reply with quote

If this is open, it's now my closest wavesailing spot for SW W NW winds. Not sure where to go in NE wind without going to the cape.

Having the RI border closed sucks for us CT sailors.
JP
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're missing you, Jay. Obviously the Surfers from your state didn't get the memo as their still clogging our favorite place! Hope to sail with you soon.

DC
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me when the state police stop guarding the border. I actually have a job at a telecom building in Wakefield, once that's a go, I will have proper papers to get in. JP
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, looks like they just closed our favorite spot...ughhghghghghghgh!!!

DC
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninigret pond ?
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy story.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/04/04/news/new-england/3-massachusetts-men-charged-with-breaking-quarantine-in-rhode-island/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: