myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ski Resorts are Corona closed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Ski Resorts are Corona closed Reply with quote

Late Saturday, many ski resorts have announced they are closed starting Sunday March 15 due to the COVID-19 virus situation.

Dang it's snowing a ton up there right now, was looking forward to some powder skiing.

Oh well at least we're building some base again!

Maybe Natural Bridges has a shot at some crazy wind again today Sunday.

rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering when the local authorities start shutting down our launches due to this thing.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ski Resorts are Corona closed Reply with quote

SwellRipper wrote:

Dang it's snowing a ton up there right now, was looking forward to some powder skiing.
Resort operations suspended @Tahoe. March has been so nice to us the last couple seasons, and again, 2020. Was going to go Mo/Tue. So: Nooooes.....
Although resorts sometimes may want ppl to think otherwise, many places are still owned by the US Forest Service, i.e by us. In such cases, the public continues to have access without any restrictions. There's just no lift service or amenities. Most importantly, no avalanche control or quick-response injury rescues.
https://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ski_water_rights/documents/ski_area_program_info.pdf
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing isn't exactly a group sport, I'm sure we can all practice social distancing on the water and even in the rigging areas!
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. When on the water, I mostly stay 6 feet away from other guys. That's why I don't understand why they lock down windsurfing in Spain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSvHCFYWgc&t=335s
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
That's why I don't understand why they lock down windsurfing in Spain

Everything's locked down in Spain right now, except for basic errands and health care. From the video caption: "This is it. State of emergency in Spain for at least 14 days. No more leaving the house and thus no more windsurfing."
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Just as with WSing, who skis three feet from the next guy? And how likely is pathogen spread in the great outdoors?

OTOH, we got an inch or two of snow Friday, and even after the streets were bone dry, far too many people drove like it was an inch of wet glare ice. The very sight of snow, even if just on some lawns, scares the crap out of some people.

IMO, anyone that easily panic-stricken should not have a driver's license or be in charge of public policy with such consequences. I'm for mandatory inoculations for common diseases, but shutting down the country over something much less threatening (so far) than the swine flu seems unnecessary. I guess we'll know within a few months whether that's validated.
meyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Isobars has never been on a chairlift with other skiers, or in a lift line,or a ski resort lodge.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: one person per chair, spread the lines out (or go when it's not crowded), and I go to resorts to ski, not hang out in the lodge. Simple accommodations can provide good protection without shutting everything down. Heck, just putting up signs reminding people that we're all gonna die would cut crowds by a huge percentage, allowing sensible people to spread out and just go skiing anyway.

A TV news crew approached me as I was coming ashore after WSing on a BIG lake completely alone decades ago during an unexplained fish kill with scattered reports of minor ear infections. They thrust a mic and camera into my face and asked, "Aren't you afraid of the health alerts posted?"

"If I get an ear infection, I'll go to the doctor."

Sure, that attitude is less acceptable with a potentially serious, maybe even deadly, disease, but my odds of dying from the flu or a routine surgery are much higher than from CV. Until this thing gets MUCH worse, I see no sense in disrupting our lives or bankrupting most types of businesses over something with such low odds. It seems pretty easy to avoid packed venues without becoming a hermit, but then I avoid cities anyway due in part to their crowds and lines, I don't have kids in school, and I have zero interest in Petri Dish Cruise Lines. The people most endangered by CV are even older than I, and few of them work in a crowded office, or ski, or go to rock concerts, or hang out in shoulder to shoulder locker rooms.

Obama did nothing until the swine flu got scores of times worse, and we muddled through it. Trump acted swiftly and much earlier, but we haven't seen yet what he plans to do now that he has declared a national emergency. Until we're forced by law to take giant steps, doesn't it make sense to choose for ourselves, within educated reason and rational closures or cutbacks of inherently crowded venues, how to adapt? Just for example, for decades I've gone to movies on weekday afternoons for zero lines and "crowds" of maybe 6 patrons inside. Ditto restaurants, except it's at 7:00 AM. And I don't go shopping on Saturday or in the week before Christmas, CV or no CV. Hooray for Amazon!
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Isobars wants to spout his nonsense he should do so on the political forum. Here's his claim:

Quote:
Obama did nothing until the swine flu got scores of times worse

Here's what the swine flu did:

Quote:
Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S.
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/swine-flu-8-facts-about-the-world-s-last-pandemic-in-2009.html

The lunatic from Richland gets this nonsense directly from Hannity and Trump, and it is wrong. The deaths are over a year, and the death rate was lower than seasonal influenza:

Quote:
The strain of influenza also turned out to have a case fatality rate of just 0.02% — well below even many typical seasonal influenzas

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

Hard to tell dementia from extremism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: