myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 339, 340, 341  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting article on our failure, systemic, to generate the data needed to actually have managed the COVID outbreak. https://www.route-fifty.com/health-human-services/2021/03/why-pandemic-experts-failed/172698/

I'll just include a few of the more germane quotes:

Quote:
After spending a year building one of the only U.S. pandemic-data sources, we have come to see the government’s initial failure here as the fault on which the entire catastrophe pivots. The government has made progress since May; it is finally able to track pandemic data. Yet some underlying failures remain unfixed. The same calamity could happen again.

....The COVID Tracking Project ultimately tallied more than 363 million tests, 28 million cases, and 515,148 deaths nationwide. It ended its daily data collection last week and will close this spring....

We now know that early case counts reflected only a small portion of the true number of cases. They were probably 10 or even 20 times too small, according to later academic studies. The government missed the initial explosion of COVID-19 cases because, despite its many plans to analyze data, it assumed that data would simply materialize....

There are other invisible problems in the data. For one, we have no idea how many antigen tests have been conducted in the United States. A recent government document estimated that 4 million of these rapid tests are now being conducted a day—more than twice the number of slower, but more accurate, polymerase-chain-reaction, or PCR, tests. Yet states report nowhere near that volume of antigen tests. Tens of millions of tests are going unreported. Where are they happening? How many are coming out positive? No one has any idea.

One of the fundamental flaws in the idea of let the states lead--orthodox GOP ideology--is that then you don't really have data. The manner for reporting all of the data--testing numbers, results numbers, deaths, unaccounted for or excess deaths--is inconsistent. In some states, the death counts lag by days or weeks, masking the ability to track trends. Does anybody think that only the Governors of New York and Florida cooked their records to make themselves look better?

We will see another pandemic--perhaps not in my life, but certainly in the lives of my children. If we fail to learn these lessons, and make the necessary adjustments, people will again die needlessly. Perhaps the most successful coach in history, John Wooden, said it well, “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.” J
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/cdc-purges-trump-era-junk-guidance-in-quest-to-restore-reputation-107673157718?cid=referral_taboolafeed

CDC purges Trump era junk guidance in quest to restore reputation

Quote:
Rachel Maddow looks back at the Donald Trump administration's practice of forcing the CDC to release politically motivated, unscientific Covid-19 guidance, and reports on the new leadership under the Biden administration ordering a review of past coronavirus guidance officially getting rid of the junk. (*edited for length from the original broadcast)

real-human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-fauci-i-listened-to-him-but-i-didnt-do-what-he-said-161745694.html

Trump on Fauci: 'I listened to him, but I didn't do what he said'

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump says he didn’t heed the advice of Dr. Anthony Fauci in his response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has left more than 500,000 Americans dead and nearly 30 million infected, including Trump himself.

"I listened to him, but I didn't do what he said," Trump told Fox News personality Lisa Boothe on the premiere episode of her podcast, which went live Monday.

Boothe asked Trump if he regretted "elevating" Fauci — the nation's leading infectious disease expert, who rose to fame as a member of Trump's coronavirus task force — because of his refusal to back the former president's dubious claims about the virus.

"I didn't really elevate him," Trump said. "He's been there for 40 years. He's been there forever." Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health, had worked under Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Trump, and is now President Biden's COVID-19 adviser.

Trump said he liked Fauci "personally" but cast him as a self-promoter.

"He's a great promoter," Trump said. "He's really a promoter more than anything else."

President Donald Trump looks on as Dr. Anthony Fauci answers a question at a coronavirus task force briefing in April 2020. (Leah Millis/Reuters)
President Donald Trump looks on as Dr. Anthony Fauci answers a question at a coronavirus task force briefing in April 2020. (Leah Millis/Reuters)
The former president seized on Fauci's recommendations during the early stages of the pandemic when little was known about the novel virus, which originated in Wuhan, China.

"He didn't want to have China stopped from coming in," Trump said. "If we would have done that, we would have had hundreds of thousands of more deaths in our country."

Trump has repeatedly made this claim while dinging Fauci’s credibility, but according to PolitiFact, Fauci was generally supportive of the Chinese travel ban imposed by Trump in January 2020.

In an interview with Yahoo News earlier this month, Fauci admitted, "We didn't get good eyes on what was going on until late," and suggested the United States could have been more aggressive with China but that Trump "was not interested in doing that.

"He was complimenting them on what a good job they were doing," Fauci said.

Fauci also said he became a "persona non grata" within the Trump White House for what he was saying publicly about the administration's response to the coronavirus.

"But I had to say it, because it was the truth," Fauci said.

President Donald Trump listens as Dr. Anthony Fauci speaks during a briefing on the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Trump listens as Fauci speaks during a briefing on the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Trump was hospitalized for three days in October after suffering complications from the virus.

“I learned so much about coronavirus,” he said in a video posted to Twitter that he filmed at the White House upon his return. “And one thing that’s for certain: Don’t let it dominate you. Don’t be afraid of it. You’re going to beat it.”

mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

746,000 new cases in the world yesterday, 80,000 in the US—continuing a rise. 131,000 in India, 89,000 in Brazil. Plenty of opportunities for new variants to emerge, setting off a race for new vaccines and new anti-vaxxer crazy talk.

Meanwhile, some continue to subscribe to the daft theory that a wall in the deserts of the Southwest US will somehow make us safe.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a surprise. The level of mendacity and incompetence did so much damage.

Quote:
By
Dan Diamond
April 9, 2021 at 7:00 a.m. PDT

Add to list
Trump appointees in the Department of Health and Human Services last year privately touted their efforts to block or alter scientists’ reports on the coronavirus to more closely align with then-President Donald Trump’s more optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to newly released documents from congressional investigators.

The documents provide further insight into how senior Trump officials approached last year’s explosion of coronavirus cases in the United States. Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was attempting to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with an alternate set of talking points.

Then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote to then-HHS public affairs chief Michael Caputo on Sept. 9, 2020, touting two examples of where he said officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had bowed to his pressure and changed language in their reports, according to an email obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the coronavirus outbreak.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new variant is spreading rapidly. Michigan's current peak is about as high as the summer peak.

Quote:
Fiona Kelliher and Harriet Blair Rowan
PUBLISHED: April 9, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. | UPDATED: April 9, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.

Fast-growing COVID-19 variants are contributing to an alarming rise in new cases around the nation, yet California remains resistant — for now.

This week, California had the third-lowest new case rate of any state in the union, sporting just 45 new cases per 100,000 residents, bested only by Arkansas and Alabama. But variant-fueled outbreaks have pushed case rates up 13 percent nationwide and far higher in the worst states, contributing to fears of a fourth wave.

As the Golden State plans to fully reopen in June, the contrasting numbers have sparked an unsettling question: Could California’s luck disappear, or has the worst of its pandemic passed?

“We find ourselves at a confusing juncture in the pandemic, with a lot of cross-cutting forces — we’re toggling between some days that feel very optimistic and quote ‘impending doom’,” said Dr. Bob Wachter, chair of the Department of Medicine at UC San Francisco, in an update to colleagues Thursday. “All of these numbers are just fantastic, and yet you hear about other parts of the country and other parts of the world and the variants, and it’s easy to be pessimistic.”

Over the past six weeks, Michigan has emerged as the country’s worst hotspot for the virus. The state’s latest case rate is more than 10 times worse than California’s, with 492 new cases per 100,000 residents in the past 7 days.

Quote:
April 6, 2021, 2:37 PM PDT
By Corky Siemaszko
They’re young, they’re restless, and across the United States they’re driving the latest wave of Covid-19 cases.

Fed up with pandemic restrictions and lulled into a false sense of security by the increasing rate of vaccinations, coronavirus wards at local hospitals are increasingly being populated by younger, still-unvaccinated adults who've let their guard down, the nation's top public health experts are warning.

"It is premature to declare a victory," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, said Tuesday at the National Press Club. "We're seeing more and more young people get into serious trouble, namely severe disease, requiring hospitalization and occasionally even tragic deaths in quite young people."

Fauci's warning echoed earlier remarks by Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the head of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“We are now entering our fourth week of increased trends in cases,” Walensky said Monday. “The trends and data have been indicating cases are increasing nationally as we are seeing this occur predominantly in younger adults.”

In particular, Walensky said, “many outbreaks in young people are related to youth sports and extracurricular activities” that involve their parents.

Part of the problem is that Americans have become less afraid of catching Covid-19, even though slightly less than a fifth of the country’s population has been fully vaccinated, the latest NBC News figures show.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New research.

“Men are more skeptical than women about COVID-19 vaccines and wearing face masks — but the real divide is between men who are trying to project masculinity and the men who aren’t,” Fairleigh Dickinson researchers wrote. “Men who assert a traditionally masculine gender identity are less likely to say that they’ll get the COVID-19 vaccine, more likely to say that it has side effects, more resistant to wearing face masks for protection, and more likely to say they have been diagnosed with COVID-19.”

The survey also found that men who identify as “completely masculine” are nearly twice as likely to say wearing masks is “dangerous to the health of the wearer” and are predictably about three times more likely to report having been infected with the virus.

I guess men who need guns and ammo to prove their masculinity, wont be caught dead ruining their masculinity with a simple vaccine or a mask.

Thanks for spreading your covid infested breath all over the place you fuckheads while the rest of us normal folk do the right thing for our neighbors, family members, health care workers and fellow countrymen.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insecure dick population?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. Almost everyone I associate with, even the millennials I know, are vaccinated. Social life is back to almost normal. I visited my family a couple weeks ago. Gave my Mom the first hug I was able to provide since my dad died just before the start of the pandemic. All 7 of my siblings and spouses were vaccinated.

These vaccines gave me my life back. What idiots that won’t get it!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Seattle Times:

Quote:
Kids with COVID-19 are flooding into hospitals in Michigan, hitting a record high as the state sees a massive surge in overall cases that ranks it worst in the nation. Among the biggest sources of infections: youth sports and schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 250 of 341

Jump to: