myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I was one of thousands of wannabees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my chuckling, but the truth has already been stated in a few different ways. What it amounts to is that some windsurfers continually aspire till they (we) reach the limit of their ability (which most of us long termers will already have done, I imagine), while others seek a form of satisfaction and contentment in a specific branch of less frenetic windsurfing because it suits and satisfies them.

The O.P. made clear at the start that he felt he should only perform within his limitations (reaction time he quoted) so to assert that he, with his long experience, is putting himself in harms way doesn't make sense. He would have drowned long ago if that was so!

So in that sense, he is an expert windsurfer, in the way he has chosen!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful reflections

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sums it up well.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man got's to know his limitations.....Clint Eastwood.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
some windsurfers continually aspire till they (we) reach the limit of their ability (which most of us long termers will already have done, I imagine), while others seek a form of satisfaction and contentment in a specific branch of less frenetic windsurfing because it suits and satisfies them.

I'm most certainly hampered lately by multiple medical issues and to a much lesser degree by advancing age. HOWEVER, rather than dial the whole sport back, I've chosen to focus on and improve in skills and pleasures I CAN still manage while dialing back only the specific endeavors I must or should avoid.

In case that's not clear, here are three examples.
One: The drug that's most clearly keeping me alive absolutely clobbers my endurance. The workaround is cherry-picking the best conditions. If all I can manage is a few hours a day, I try not to waste them fighting crappy conditions.
Two: my repaired knee feels fine, but will never be as robust as it was pre-injury. My workaround is keeping my altitude below about 10 feet. Since the injury was due more to operator error than to the jump's extreme (for me) height, that specific error is much less likely at lower elevations.
Three: Sinkers can be very work-intensive in holey winds, so I'm using larger boards lately except for those increasingly rare days of steady strong winds. Where I used to sail 65-75 liters while pushing 200#, I now try to sail the same way on 80-90 liters at 170#. It's just not the same, but it does significantly improve my TOW and recovery and the winds ARE demonstrably crappier anyway.

As Westender would put it, I build on what I can still do and rely less on what I can't, rather than just dialing it all back.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings GT,

As a young man my motto was "no thrills for the cautious". Now my motto
is "enjoy it while it lasts".

And thanks to your point of view, Kamasutra be damned, I am an expert!

;*)

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

The O.P. made clear at the start that he felt he should only perform within his limitations (reaction time he quoted) so to assert that he, with his long experience, is putting himself in harms way doesn't make sense. He would have drowned long ago if that was so!

So in that sense, he is an expert windsurfer, in the way he has chosen!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course you are Craig. (A leading expert.) Don't allow anyone to try and tell you otherwise!

I take it you've read some of the works of leading neuroscientist Daniel Levitin. His latest pronouncement that happiness can peak at the age of 82 cheered me up no end, and I promise that I didn't try to bribe him. He never asked me as part of his world wide survey, insignificant little worm that I am. But 'By George, I think he's got it.'

(Though contrary to professor Higgins, and his instruction to Eliza, the rain in Spain, which falls mainly in the plain, is no match for what we have been putting up with over here these last few weeks!) Laughing Laughing
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi LUCARO,

Google says Laird Hamilton was in that movie, "Endless Summer 2", but I do not remember the scene of Laird windsurfing.

Did he jibe?

W1

Watch Laird Hamilton, in Catch every Wave, his story not a movie a documentary. It’s difficult to tell at times which windsurfer is Laird. Their aren’t many jibes, shown.
Irrespective, anyone who doubts his abilities as a surfer, waterman, after seeing this is a freakin idiot.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never doubted Laird Hamilton's position as an Apex Waterman. However, per the topic of the post and the performance of the jibe being elusive for some even of good athletic ability, I noted that I had never seen him jibe in a video. He may very well jibe like a champ.

I also do not see recent videos of him windsurfing. Sometimes windsurfers who have reached a plateau for a while leave the sport in search of others that they can measure progress on. Laird, of course, was already doing other water sports on which he progressed further.

So I have wondered if he can jibe windsurfing. If anyone knows the answer, please share.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have windsurfed with Fred, Roddy, and Laird several times at Thousand Peaks and seen Laird at the Ponds.
Laird can jibe. Not like Roddy Lewis for sure, and not as fast as Roddy or Fred Haywood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: