myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling Speed!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Foiling Speed! Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel a bit silly talking about foiling because I remain the worst foiler at the beach and there is a very high likelihood I will eventually give it up because it is too difficult for me but ... call it wishful thinking: some new results are really too impressive not to mention.

If you follow the french foiling forum you already noticed but Nico Goyard just got 36.45 knots over 2 seconds, and 34.22 out of 10s. Those are already more than impressive. But the most impressive is the 32.93 knots on 1km !!!!

Open water with more than 20 knots of wind, prototype 91 wide, IRIS R race with small wing and small stab, Ga slalom 5.6.

To put things in perspective for open water sailing: that 32.93 knots over one km is as fast or faster than the best 2s speed I have seen documented on a fin in the Bay Area!

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller front wings might be the solution.
What works great at 16 mph is horrible for 38 mph.
A 600 sq cm foil might be too big.
Between you, me, and Vincent.......worse foiler is attainable.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And STEADY 15 mph with a 4.0 allows us to be at our very best.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think your the worse ever? I'm a way better windsurfer than foiler but I have a blast on foil. So much depends on getting your gear set up for your style, weight, wing size, sail size and on and on. I foiled for 2 years and couldn't get near the straps on a first gen Sling shot board and foil. That said I could get up and fly pretty easy but I had to stand way forward to balance for level flight. Last year I got a board that has an adjustable foil track. Made a huge difference for me. I can fly level in the harness and both straps. And feel fairly comfortable doing so. Took a few adjustments to get it dialed in. I think all foil boards should have and sliding foil track. Try different set ups to get your gear balanced. could make a huge difference...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with steady wind and the smallest sail that you can get flying. Just like windsurfing, it takes time to develop skills that allow for more sail and wind.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naish setup, stock foil.
Level flight since fall, foil jibes eluding me still.
Steady breeze is 90% of the equation. 3-23 up and down, direction changing, is tough.
Berkeley has great 12-20 in mid summer. 4.5.
Berkeley is mostly 3-16 when lighter breezes blow rest of the year.
Just taking too long to become competent.
WS 3 out of 4 days makes the learning curve take even longer.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Why do you think your the worse ever? I'm a way better windsurfer than foiler but I have a blast on foil ...

Not the worst ever but almost surely the worst btw Coyote and Stick (not even mentioning Crissy). And I am not having a blast. I am just struggling. My longest run, out of maybe 4-8 times with a cooperating wind, has been probably 20-30 yards long! Embarassed We'll see how it goes this year but I have little expectation.

Anyway, this is not about me! I am just flabbergasted by the average speed a foil can hold in open water. It makes sense, because chops/waves have little or zero influence, but still. Give it a few years and PWA level sailors (that is the level of skill of that guy) will be doing 35-40 knots average regularly.

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the locals is a slow windsurfer, at 145 lbs.
When he's powered on his 600 sq.cm. foil, he can stay with rec windsurfers who can jibe decently. Probably faster than he windsurfs, but close.
Small foils might need longer masts which brings it's own drawbacks.
wsatl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
NOVAAN wrote:
Why do you think your the worse ever? I'm a way better windsurfer than foiler but I have a blast on foil ...

Not the worst ever but almost surely the worst btw Coyote and Stick (not even mentioning Crissy). And I am not having a blast. I am just struggling. My longest run, out of maybe 4-8 times with a cooperating wind, has been probably 20-30 yards long! Embarassed We'll see how it goes this year but I have little expectation.

Anyway, this is not about me! I am just flabbergasted by the average speed a foil can hold in open water. It makes sense, because chops/waves have little or zero influence, but still. Give it a few years and PWA level sailors (that is the level of skill of that guy) will be doing 35-40 knots average regularly.

He isn't just a PWA level sailor, he's world foil champ.
Very Happy

The physics of it all get really challenging above 35 kts and why it's a struggle for the worlds best at those speeds. There's a big push to hit 40 so we'll see who gets there first. And, I'm absolutely with you - the peak speed is pretty neat but the avg speed over distance is mind boggling when you figure in gusts, variations in sea state, etc. I know that he's absolutely demolished boards before speed foiling so it's not for the faint of heart

And, while I'm not a super foiler, my runs are regularly longer than 20-30 yds. PM me if I can help. It may just take a tweak here or there to get you over the hump and happy. Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail Berkeley.
What takes 3 minutes to go from Marina to Emeryville now takes 4 minutes on the foil.
Boring to death. Unless you like precarious balancing and constant attention the whole time. All while foiling slower than anything on the water except dinghys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: