myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Off season condtioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure reaction times also need off season conditioning. And maybe something that helps to exercise our sense of joy, or our ability to have fun could also use off-season conditioning.

Playing pickle ball is an excellent way to exercise reaction time & is also a fine way to keep having fun & exercise our sense of joy. My wife & I played a little outdoors last summer. About 2 months ago we started playing 2-3 days a week at our city indoor recreation center which sets up three pickleball courts on one of the basketball gyms 3 days a week. We enjoy playing enough we bought our own paddles last week. My wife is not a tennis, ping pong, badminton or racquetball player, but she really likes pickle ball.

Personally, I do think reaction times need off season conditioning, especially for we whose age qualifys us as geezers.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
p.s. I haven't had a reason to ride my big gear for several years now as I've swapped out all my Utah sailing for Gorge sailing.

"All"? Current or no current, Willard Bay can absolutely RIP -- and it can be nice, steady wind -- in the spring. Not counting the 12-hour blast that never got below 80 mph, I've seen many 40-kt days and many more days in the 30s. Even 20 kts can be fun, because it often means 19 in the lulls and 21 in the gusts. I've sailed the latter conditions for an entire week in June on my "lunch hour". I got countless 4-hour evening sessions of steady wind after work there on sails from 3.8 to 6.5.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, according to isobars's view of things, you're not getting Utah at its best. Speaking for myself, I have a hard time believing that.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade inflation is a fact of life nowadays. (Education especially.)

It used to be confined to surfing, (should have been here yesterday - 20 foot in the sets), then it spread to windsurfing, (ditto), and nowadays it would appear that the world is teeming with radical supermen. (And women - according to most modern films.)

And yet, when I go shopping at the super market and look around at them all, in reality little seems to have changed.

Am I missing something here?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize profusely for grossly exaggerating Utah's (and New Mexico's even stronger) wind. All I have to go by are NOAA data, personal conversations with my buds in the National Weather Bureau forecast center, my anemometer at several lakes, newspaper headlines, sail sizes I got blown off of, new windshields almost every year from NM sandstorms, an Air Force hurricane-penetrating C-130 Hercules airplane being blown out of the NM sky on a day I tried to sail, the dozens of big boats smashed to smithereens on the far shore of Willard Bay the day they had to transport a Coast Guard "ship" (?) from the Great Salt Lake to Willard Bay to rescue my buds who refused jet ski tows to our upwind shore, semis and at least one RR train lying on their sides, loss of power to whole counties for up to a month when scores of miles of giant interstate power towers were flattened, the loss of several professional bass boats on Elephant Butte in NM, and much more.

I had an advantage over Craig. I could see the Great Salt Lake (which is separated from freshwater Willard Bay only by a berm) from my home and my office, and drive there in just minutes when they blew. I also got off work at 3 PM, giving me up to 6 hours after work to go sailing.

Don't you guys ever tire of looking like biased idiots when you challenge me to support my statements?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, I think you nailed it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I'm not sure reaction times also need off season conditioning.

I don't know for sure whether or how it may relate to reaction time, but a specific and beneficial form of neuromuscular exercise is moving our unloaded feet or hands in some sort of cycle as fast as we possibly can. The goal is to make our muscles fire as rapidly as possible without being impeded by load.

Example: dialing the resistance to near zero (just a trace of resistance so the machine doesn't push you) on a leg or arm ergometer/stationary bicycle/seated elliptical and spinning it as fast as possible. The goal is to emphasizes neurological development and coordination independent of muscle development.

Among other sources, the following paragraph from
https://getkion.com/articles/body/general-fitness/reaction-speed-power-optimizing-nervous-system-performance/
may convey the idea:

"Overspeed training is, exactly as it sounds, the practice of training your limbs to turnover at a higher speed – a speed over what feels comfortable or natural. Through overspeed training, not only does your brain literally learn how to fire faster and control your muscles more efficiently at higher speeds, but you also develop more powerful and quick muscle fiber contractions, which comes in handy for hard surges during a race or tough workout. It’s something you can feel but might not be able to put into words. You can sense the brain trying to keep up and adapt to this new level."
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I've had good days and bad days at Willard. It can blow plenty hard
there (it can blow very hard at a number of Utah water ways)
I just spend my sailing time in the Gorge these days (and a
little on Maui). I've still got lots of good gear here, but by the time I stop
skiing, it's usually time to head for the Gorge. If my sailing buds were to encourage me, I'd probably sail more here, but they all sail mostly in
the Gorge now ;*)

I love both places, and am fortunate enough to be able to recreate in
both locales. If the system breaks down and becomes feudal, and I'm stuck
here, I'll sail here, it's a fine place to sail.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
p.s. I haven't had a reason to ride my big gear for several years now as I've swapped out all my Utah sailing for Gorge sailing.

"All"? Current or no current, Willard Bay can absolutely RIP -- and it can be nice, steady wind -- in the spring. Not counting the 12-hour blast that never got below 80 mph, I've seen many 40-kt days and many more days in the 30s. Even 20 kts can be fun, because it often means 19 in the lulls and 21 in the gusts. I've sailed the latter conditions for an entire week in June on my "lunch hour". I got countless 4-hour evening sessions of steady wind after work there on sails from 3.8 to 6.5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: