myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Off season condtioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacandagalady wrote:
I am not yet retired and finding time for everything I want to do is somewhat of an issue ... tweaking the speed, reps, and sets done is certainly up for review

Thus a prioritized list. Even before I retired, WSing often trumped work when even remotely manageable. My commanding officer knew about it (he had to sign my vacation/leave slips each time), and it cost me a year's assignment to develop and manage a research laboratory, working mostly at night, on the hillside overlooking Kihei, HI. He didn't trust my priorities.

But there are other ways to interleave WS with work. SEARCH here on the term <Windsday>.

Now, some of my oncologists still think I'm kidding when I refuse or delay treatments until the WSing season ends.

One individual claimed before you were born that Ye Olde Three Sets of Ten workouts were the key to optimal strength building. Not only has his claim never been replicated despite many tries, but it has been repeatedly disproved. Right there is one giant step towards achieving greater results in less gym time.

One source of many is at
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa74.htm .
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of warning -

You cannot build long term stamina and continuous power output WITHOUT including hours of lower intensity endurance work. It has NOT been demonstrated otherwise, as ALL professional cyclists know only too well! No gym routine alone is an adequate preperation.

Even that drugged up to the eyeballs cheat Lance Armstrong used to say that he spent hours everyday busting his ass in the saddle. ( To retain the necessary endurance.)

The facts are clear. Anybody who disputes this should prove otherwise by entering an arduous multi day (three weeks) cycling event. I am certainly not in that category but I have always followed this accepted path of training for endurance (never done ANY gym work, and detest the concept) and at the age of 82 I'm still perfectly able to cycle 110 miles (and often do) with 5.000 feet of hard steep climbing at a not too slow an average speed. I'm satisfied that, for me, it ticks all my boxes, including windsurfing, and endurance kayaking! I don't argue with success!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pretty useless for the typical rec sailor not aiming for world class performance.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
All pretty useless for the typical rec sailor not aiming for world class performance.

OTOH, one dude was forced by spare time constraints to all but eliminate the LSD/cardio/aerobics phase and rely instead on HIIT. His name was Roger Bannister. Of course, a mile does not a marathon make, but then I see very few people WSing long distances; most bonk pretty quickly. Even those with the least endurance, strength, and aspirations can benefit from more proficient, productive, efficient, and safe exercise regimens.

I've debated the rest of GT's arguments many times in the past, citing endless published research and world class success stories. Many of both warn against LSD/cardio/aerobics, emphasizing that it should be reserved for the people Lee hints at: pros willing to sacrifice their health for trophies.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've argued many times, but-

On the contrary, stamina (endurance) however come by is what allows many of us to enthusiastically pursue our sports, and even life itself. Recreational or professional, who cares? Without it you can't keep going in what I think of as a meaningful way.

P.S. Iso. keen and fit cyclists (apart from those who play games with performance enhancing drugs) seem, on average, to live a longer time than many other sports people. I'm banking on it!!

We'll resume the discussion in 10 years time! Laughing Laughing
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 year old woman.
I am a 70 year old fart.
No structured workouts on our futures.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
No structured workouts on our futures.

That's OK as long as we get frequent, whole-body, increasing-resistance strength-building exercise plus aerobic and anaerobic exercise (all three are combined in mere minutes with Superslow workouts) one way or another. It's very tough to achieve all that without some structured exercise, and most people at or past middle age won't bother outside some structured setting. I used to be dismayed to arrive at my BIG family gym to find its parking lot packed with 100-150 cars, expecting to find the areas I use comparably packed. But when I walk in, my areas and equipment are empty; I almost never have to wait for a machine or floor space or the cables. Turning down the music in my ears reveals the reason: hundreds of people upstairs are rocking the gym in structured classes of ALL sorts. It works for them.

Lack of that whole package leads to millions of people, whether 50 or 90, shuffling down the street in baby steps all hunched over, accepting that fate as an unavoidable result of being chronologically "old".

Just like Type II diabetes, that "fate" is largely self-inflicted. Sure, some of these ancient-LOOKING cripples have an unavoidable disease (of which there are very few), or got hit by a speeding locomotive, or really ARE 90 years old, but many, probably most, did that to themselves, choose not to reverse it, and/or are told by idiot doctors that it's normal as we age. My morbidly obese inlaws' PCP told them their diet (mostly candy, in the form of M&Ms, bread, mashed potatoes, and gravy) and their bloated bellies were juuuuust fine because, as farmers, they got lots of exercise.

He should lose his license.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the bed every day.
Use the stairs to get to kitchen and cook/clean everything.
Water 360 around the house.
Clean tub once a week.
Clean windows every other week.
Handwash car twice a month.
Vacuume, gee I can't spell, house twice a week.
Drag laundry to wash, rinse, and fold away.
That's 3/4 of what you need.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Visualization Techniques. I spend a reasonable amount of time doing construction, landscaping and swimming. If it's something you enjoy, you'll spend more time doing it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/flourish/200912/seeing-is-believing-the-power-visualization

https://www.mentaltoughnesstrainer.com/visualization-techniques-for-sports/

Last edited by westender on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read maybe a dozen medical newsletters and magazine articles telling us how to get some exercise. EVERY one tried variations on the same theme: Gut It Out No Matter How Much You Hate It. I've emailed some of them (e.g., Mayo, Harvard Med, more) with variations on your no-brainer approach. Only one, Duke U Med, responded, requesting permission to publish my short page on finding a wild horses (as in "couldn't drag you away from") sport.

westender wrote:
If it's something you enjoy, you'll spend more time doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: