myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Helping with waterstart/clearing the sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Wind, swell and chop create quite a force, pushing the board and sail across the water, sinking the sail on the downwind side

Swell and chop are vertical motions and forces. Wind is present regardless of current. What I keep asking is how current sinks a sail. i.e., if everything is moving along together ... just like objects on the surface of the earth ... how does a current sink a sail?

Schweitzer is a very technically smart and extremely well-read guy. Maybe he's right about the vertical water speed vector curl (indicative of faster current just below the surface), where the wind has not slowed down the current as much as it has at the surface. It all gets into a pretty subtle and complex interplay between wind and water I believe to be (I skipped that optional course) beyond just "current".

But even if that is the cause, it applies only after we let the clew sink. One way to discourage that is to shove the board tail under the boom far enough back on the boom to lift the entire boom, not just its front end. Sure, I've had my clew sink, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to operator error rather than current. If it were primarily current, why wouldn't it happen much more often? If it's primarily operator error, I'd try ever harder to avoid making that error.

But when it does happen, I still rely more on physics than on muscle and ketones. The rig floats, and I'm not in breaking waves, so I just roll onto my back and crack open a few oysters on my belly. When the clew surfaces again, I'm rested and fed and reddy to waterstart and rip.

Of course, if I were sailing a 9.0, I'd have time for a nap, too, as I've done during major lulls even on small gear.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because everything is NOT moving along together!

In effect, strong wind and chop opposing the current PUSHES the board and rig back against the current enough to sink the clew down vertically under the water.(Assuming that the mast is lying at 90 degrees to the wind and current.)

It is then often easier to just let it sink and assist the push so that the clew can pop back up on the upwind side. A quick lift of the boom end and flip (in the wind) of the rig while quickly grabbing and lifting the boom before it does the same sinking action again, and you are up and away!

Quite often happens.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

Tell me if you have any more questions after watching this one...

Pushing tail below the foot of the sail (note: not the boom) and orienting slightly upwind would be the two main things to do. Pull on mast sideways until the clew rises sufficiently to slide tail under.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, Manuel --

I see nothing here any different from the last few scores (probably hundreds) of posts on these topics (current sinking clews, resting booms on tails). After hundreds of thousands of waterstarts, I remain completely unconvinced by the experience, logic, OR (let alone AND) physics of both topics as presented in this forum, with the possible exception of Schweitzer's illuminating contribution. Anyone who likes doing things the harder ways (or who's in a hurry because of crashing surf) is welcome to continue doing so. The rest of you might want to try all the options (what a concept!) and decide for yourselves.

I merely appreciated energy-conserving techniques in my younger and healthy years, but as I get ever older and lamer, they become not just session-extending but necessary.

One of my first indicators of tiring in a given session is the increasing effort required to yank/knife the rig out of the water towards the wind. Years ago I could still do it throughout a 4-hour session or after sunset on a long day of wind. It now becomes noticeably challenging within a short session. Same sail, same conditions, but less power available, so now I rely even more on using my head and physics instead of brute force. I'm in no hurry any more.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good input. I would add that you should water start in the direction that is easy to set up. I see people at my local spot fall on the far side of the lake and spend several minutes arranging the gear so that they can sail back to the launch side of the lake. Some of the time it would have been much easier to get the gear set up and water start in the original direction and turn once up.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning a clue first water start can be useful also...
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I would add that you should water start in the direction that is easy to set up.

Good note! At least get the sail flying in the direction it's easiest to set up first.
Once the sail is flying you can always jibe the board (push mast hand towards uni to turn the board) and flip the sail. Or waterstart clew first. But get the sail out of the water asap...don't worry about the direction.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I would add that you should water start in the direction that is easy to set up.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Good note! At least get the sail flying in the direction it's easiest to set up first.
Once the sail is flying you can always jibe the board

Unless, of course, the reason one has to waterstart in the first place is that he can't jibe consistently.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell ya. I never fall in.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell ya Westender - some of us have weird wiring of our brains! (Windsurfers plural that is, not that I happen to have two of them! Laughing )

I sometimes used to stand on the pier at one of our surfing beaches, and think. The notion of falling in among all that swell and and surf put me in a panic, yet with board in hand, and shoe-horned into a wetsuit, I always felt what could feel more natural? (Some used to jump off the end of the pier to save having to break out from the beach, till one poor lad timed it badly and was smashed against a pillar, breaking his hip. He was very lucky that others already in the water got him back in, and called an ambulance.)

Anyway, that was then, and as a windsurfer I've toned it down a bit, but there is nothing I've seen or read about folk that makes me think any of them are entirely reasonable!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: