myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Helping with waterstart/clearing the sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If internet forum threads have souls, this ones soul is quietly pleading: "Kill....me.....pleeeeeze.....KILL.....ME!!!!"
wsatl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
dmilovich wrote:
When my mast and sail have sunk down below, say, 30-45 degrees to the surface, usually clew first, I do this:
-swim ...
-grab the mast ...
-push it ...
-Repeat ...
-working down back to the boom ...
-pull the rig the other way ...
-might need eggbeater/twisting kicking, might not.

[See how much clearer a response can be, Puffin, if the responder parses the post he's addressing?]

Anyway, it works reliably and isn't fatiguing

It would be lovely to assume that since there may some little bit of positive buoyancy in the mast/rig that one could just wait and everything would float to the surface. Doesn't happen in conditions like that, as we all know.

No, we don't. I do that every time my sail sinks in the wildest conditions the Gorge can throw at us.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Which is more fatiguing if done very often as one poster above suggested ... that list of working and pulling and eggbeating above or cracking those oysters? Heck, if Archimedes, who's always right there to help in any way he can, would crack my oysters for me, I'd expend exactly zero ketones and get a (very) quick nap instead.

Unlike the Gorge, in some other places, you aren't at the top of the food chain. And, you are at risk of washing into the impact zone. Be careful in invalidating other people's experiences.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP, shmish, is talking energy conservation ["It was exhausting"], not the landlord or breaking surf.

It's really sad that someone is forcing rigitrite to read this thread. Smile
wsatl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The OP, shmish, is talking energy conservation ["It was exhausting"], not the landlord or breaking surf.

It's really sad that someone is forcing rigitrite to read this thread. Smile

And you were responding to someone who figured out an easy way to clear a sail without taking all day and was sharing it. That may be important to some people reading this thread. He was contributing to the conversation. It may well be that the OP found that an interesting and informative add-on. Or, that someone else who is following this thread finds alternative ways of quickly clearing a sail useful where they sail Maybe where he sails, fully powered 4.0 conditions aren't the conditions where you can just float and enjoy the view.

A lot of people (including some people whose skills and experience I highly admire) have thoughtfully contributed to this thread without invalidating other people's experiences and input.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where Smish sails, like basically everywhere that isn't a river or lake, there are significant currents and shore break. They don't have the luxuries of an easy spot like the Gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, Grant ... I've sailed many ocean venues on both sides of the continent, including Maui, Florida, the Texas coast, and the Oregon coast in full-on nukers ... plus New Mexico in stronger wind than I've ever encountered in any of those places (it was a good thing I was sailing Hurricane Super Nukers many of those days). I have grounds on which to disagree with someone who claims that some bumps prevent Archimedes from floating the sail or that this thread's laundry list of physical workouts saps no more energy than cracking those figurative oysters.

And you guys don't get to keep moving the jello (sharks, riptides, breaking surf, etc.) you're nailing to the wall retroactively. What's next ... Niagara Falls? The Red Sea? An aircraft carrier wake? The deadly whirlpools we had to avoid at one NM lake? Unprotected dam spillways at two other NM lakes? The shipping lanes I've sailed off Kanaha on sinkers before I could even jibe?

We don't all sail to the same drummer. Any amateur WSer who prefers manhandling his sail out of the water (or jibing his overpowered sail) by brute force after 10 hours in nuking conditions is a bigger man than I, Gunga Din.
wsatl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
If internet forum threads have souls, this ones soul is quietly pleading: "Kill....me.....pleeeeeze.....KILL.....ME!!!!"

Don't worry. Someone keeps pushing a pillow over its face while telling us every place the pillow has ever been.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I (or Trump) cured cancer*, you clowns would still be ragging on us. How much credence does that lend to your personally biased and thoroughly myopic criticism?

* BTW, I HAVE slowed down my own cancer by many years, and you can guess how: by arguing with and often outright rejecting (based on medical science) many oncologists' demands based on their mindlessly following the crowd. You guys' whining isn't going to change a damned thing except for the small handful of people who reject my opinions and/or facts just because someone told them to with no proof and often even despite proof to the contrary.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 14 posts on this thread, many of which were deliberately offered to be both arguable and difficult, isobars is now predictably playing the victim card. It's a routine that gets very old, but sadly, he will never change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: