myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Helping with waterstart/clearing the sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point (and trimmed my comment). The board is "jibed" (turned to the opposite direction if wanted) as part of the waterstart. Hence "push mast hand towards uni to turn the board and flip the sail. Or waterstart clew first. "

Getting the sail flying early is key to faster waterstarting. And per Novaan, learning the clew first waterstart is a nice addition to the skill set for the same reason.

isobars wrote:

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Good note! At least get the sail flying in the direction it's easiest to set up first.
Once the sail is flying you can always jibe the board

Unless, of course, the reason one has to waterstart in the first place is that he can't jibe consistently.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Hell ya. I never fall in.

Sounds boring. Sad
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But less cold and painful ;*) I never fall in either..............on edited video
;*) ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
westender wrote:
Hell ya. I never fall in.

Sounds boring. Sad
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But we're never gonna survive, unless,..we get a little crazy"
-Seal Henry Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Hell ya Westender - some of us have weird wiring of our brains! (Windsurfers plural that is, not that I happen to have two of them! Laughing )

Anyway, that was then, and as a windsurfer I've toned it down a bit, but there is nothing I've seen or read about folk that makes me think any of them are entirely reasonable!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always trim post parts not relevant to my response. Who wants to see every last word ANYONE posted repeated unnecessarily? I'm not missing your point, I'm simply focusing my and the readers' attention on a relevant tangential implication of it. (The fact that I don't comprehend how to "push the mast hand towards the uni" isn't relevant to my response.)

PeconicPuffin wrote:
You're missing the point (and trimmed my comment). The board is "jibed" (turned to the opposite direction if wanted) as part of the waterstart. Hence "push mast hand towards uni to turn the board and flip the sail.

My response had nothing to do with HOW one waterstarts and everything to do with what happens next. i.e., Someone who is in the water in the first place because he can't jibe well is likely to just fall in again quickly if he has to jibe immediately while or upon waterstarting. If, OTOH, he gets his gear pointed back the "long way" before waterstarting, he's not likely to fall in again and be right back where he started just seconds later.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about gybing after the waterstart? PP is saying to gybe the board after flying the sail, not after the waterstart.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

My response had nothing to do with HOW one waterstarts

Exactly.

dmilovich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often, those of us who have been sailing many years don't know exactly what we do to get the rig up and flying. It's done instinctively and quickly because we want to be sailing NOW and it's hard to examine how we got there. Sometimes we need to just get into a situation, slow down and watch what we do. I had to do this last month in the big swells and chop in La Ventana with my 4.5/85 liter combo. My g/f had been struggling out there and asked "how do you get the sail and mast back up when it's sunk?" So I went out, let the worst happen and then watched what I did.

When my mast and sail have sunk down below, say, 30-45 degrees to the surface, usually clew first, I do this:
-swim to where the mast disappears into the water. This is right by the board.
-grab the mast right there or just below the surface
-push it, using a hand to hand passing motion, towards the board. The board moves away from me as this occurs.
-Repeat, and as the board moves away from me, the tip comes closer.

This does two things: it pretty soon brings me to near the mast tip and it brings the sail back up on the surface with the clew much closer to parallel with the surface.

Now I can pop the tip of the sail and begin the water start process as normal, working down back to the boom by pulling the rig the other way, etc. Might need some eggbeater/twisting kicking, might not. Anyway, I've used it with 4.5-5.8 and it works reliably and isn't fatiguing. The surprising thing was that until I slowed down and watched myself, I couldn't have answered this question with certainty.

It would be lovely to assume that since there may some little bit of positive buoyancy in the mast/rig that one could just wait and everything would float to the surface. Doesn't happen soon enough, if at all, in conditions like that, as we all know.

To the OP: give it a try, hope it helps.

Last edited by dmilovich on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:
When my mast and sail have sunk down below, say, 30-45 degrees to the surface, usually clew first, I do this:
-swim ...
-grab the mast ...
-push it ...
-Repeat ...
-working down back to the boom ...
-pull the rig the other way ...
-might need eggbeater/twisting kicking, might not.

[See how much clearer a response can be, Puffin, if the responder parses the post he's addressing?]

Anyway, it works reliably and isn't fatiguing

It would be lovely to assume that since there may some little bit of positive buoyancy in the mast/rig that one could just wait and everything would float to the surface. Doesn't happen in conditions like that, as we all know.

No, we don't. I do that every time my sail sinks in the wildest conditions the Gorge can throw at us.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Which is more fatiguing if done very often as one poster above suggested ... that list of working and pulling and eggbeating above or cracking those oysters? Heck, if Archimedes, who's always right there to help in any way he can, would crack my oysters for me, I'd expend exactly zero ketones and get a (very) quick nap instead.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sail is sunk, I pull down on the board's rail. Basically the opposite of sinking the sail to protect it against breaking waves Very Happy !

We can also pull out on the board, or the straps, to play with the current so it helps rising it up just like the wind would.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: