myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Upwind performance - formula boards and foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
You are very welcome. Racing is more sailor skill than equipment. With the Flyer, Andy Brandt raced against very top notch LT sailors on the east coast. They all had the LT 5.7 & Andy used his 5.6 Idol freeride sail. Andy also wasn't allowed to fly the foil. He won all but one race to my understanding & the race he lost was to a tiny woman.

Never heard of that race, and I think I would have. Perhaps you are talking about the ECWF in Hatteras last October? There, Andy actually lost most races against a women, and while she is lighter than he is, she is not tiny.
There also was just one LT in the race. While the sailor (Tom Lepak) is top notch, I think he started in the limited class and had to leave the daggerboard on shore.
But Andy beat all of the guys in most races, and there were a few decent sailors on longboards. The only race I beat him on my ME2/8.5 was when he snagged the line at a mark with his foil. Otherwise, he had no problem keeping all the guys behind him on upwind legs, and only had to defend against takeovers on reaches a couple of times.

Considering that Andy was on a smaller sail (7.8 freeride IIRC) and that the wind was so light that the foil did not provide much lift, it definitely showed that the mast on the Flyer can work almost as well as the centerboard on a longboard. It may require a bit more racing skills to get Andy's level of performance, though.
wsatl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
The new foiling/convertible techno is 230cm. Similar design to the RS:ONE which didn't quite take off.

In super light wind Seattle guys are distance racing foils against raceboards in highly variable conditions and winning. A few guys have tried the Flyer board but ultimately a Formula or other wide/short board is proving to be much faster.

Yes, there is a tecno 230 convertible, but it looks like they are bringing out a Tecno 293 OD as a youth class instead of the old 290? Or I am getting this wrong?

The Techno 293 OD has been a designated youth Olympic developmental class for years (afaik, at least 10). The Techno Foil is intended to replace it for foiling events and while using as many parts of the Techno rig as possible. The pdf covers it pretty well.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsatl wrote:
dvCali wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
The new foiling/convertible techno is 230cm. Similar design to the RS:ONE which didn't quite take off.

In super light wind Seattle guys are distance racing foils against raceboards in highly variable conditions and winning. A few guys have tried the Flyer board but ultimately a Formula or other wide/short board is proving to be much faster.

Yes, there is a tecno 230 convertible, but it looks like they are bringing out a Tecno 293 OD as a youth class instead of the old 290? Or I am getting this wrong?

The Techno 293 OD has been a designated youth Olympic developmental class for years (afaik, at least 10). The Techno Foil is intended to replace it for foiling events and while using as many parts of the Techno rig as possible. The pdf covers it pretty well.

I might be loosing it ... from the pdf it looked like the 293 has the option to be foiled ...
wsatl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's still confusion -

https://www.bicsport.com/windsurf/boards/techno-wind-foil-130.html

130l 230 cm 81.5 cm
I've read decent reviews of it. The foil is, afaik, a rebadged AFS85 which has a good reputation.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they went for the AFS over the Kerfoil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: