myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Attach a board on land to a swivel and plywood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Attach a board on land to a swivel and plywood Reply with quote

I'd like to attach a swivel to the bottom of sailboard and attach that to a piece of plywood. Do that so I could work on my sail flip and footwork (or most likely vice versa) on land in off season.

Anybody know of an insert available that I could put into the sailboard and then I'd have something put screws into in order to attach the sailboard to the swivel.. All ideas welcome. Thanks

Mike B
Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66f48NYdakM

https://windsportatlanta.com/content/building-windsurfing-land-simulator
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have one of those piano dollies. The link had some other good ideas too. Good sailing to you.
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://boardlady.com/simulator.htm
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Looks doable. I have a nice swivel, just wondering if I could put insert into the board that would hold a screw, much like screwing down your foot straps.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. add single bolt mast base universal joint to a plank; cover the nut/bolt where it extends through the bottom of the plank well enough it won't cut into anything underneath. With a rig attached the plank will help with sail flipping skills. Put everything on top of an inflated air mattress (the more heavy duty the better) to help with balance issues while flipping the sail.

B. After practicing those, join me in the fraternity of land sailors attaching windsurfing rigs to: Streetsail boards (that's a brand with nice large inflated tires), mountain boards, or longboard skateboards. If you go the longboard sktbrd route be very careful of the small pebbles large enough to stop your wide longboard sktbrd wheels when you are going slow enough to turn. I've found scooter or in-line skate wheels with diameters of 100 mm up to 145 mm are much narrower and quite a bit more likely to roll over small pebbles than the 70 to 80 mm diameter longboard sktbrd wheels that have widths of 55 mm or more. Mountain board wheels or Streetsail wheels are excellent. (I'm a well aware that any mechanical or balance failure on a land sailing board is dangerous so I always wear a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, & bulky clothing and usually also wear wrist guards.)

C. My land sailing has improved my jibs quite a bit. Good luck.
StillSailin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, DelCarpenter, what a great idea using an air mattress. The other ideas helped get the board onto a swivel so I can see the timing along with the board turning, but that idea of an air mattress adds in the footwork and balancing the board. Idid some sailing in a parking lot on a skateboard and when the gusts hit was getting overpowered (no helmet, no pads) and decided even w pads it wasn't for me. Thanks !
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a old windsurf board, like I do.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: