myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired many damaged boards, but it was always where the damage was obvious. I think that if I had to go through the process of removing water from a board, the first thing I would do is rig up a way to pressurize the core via the threaded vent plug, then use soapy water to check the entire board for leaks to be sure they were all fixed. Then you could simply do a leak-down test (like for engine compression) after repairs, to see if the board was water tight.
I feel your pain if your board is still leaking; that's just super super frustrating.

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find anything the other day in the sun. I find so incredible that it can be 2.5lbs over another example of the same model.

Whatever.... Tried it as a tri yesterday. Twin set all the way forward with 11s and main one mid front 16cm. It worked really well. Felt like a twin but with added drive. No problem on a wave and at the top turn. I'm leaving it like that for a while!

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, remember when you weren't paranoid, because the cores were Clark Foam, and the skin was polyester ;*) , I do! Now I'm paranoid all the time.

But, if it sails well for you, who cares what it weighs. The biggest bonus
I get out of my Goya Custom Thruster Wave (which is a sweet board) is
carrying the thing back to the van after a hard day in the swells. I don't
really notice the 2 lb difference from my OO Ripper Slasher (also a very sweet board) on the water very much.

-Craig

manuel wrote:
Yeah both straps and pads... Plus I'm paranoid now.

Just tried starboard kp pro model, 15.5lbs equipped!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Yep, remember when you weren't paranoid, because the cores were Clark Foam, and the skin was polyester ;*) , I do! Now I'm paranoid all the time.

My paranoia was cured the day I began padding the most vulnerable spots on the board and my body.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that most of my boards have battle scars that have been repaired, but I have learned a lot about working with epoxy and laminates over the years. All a part of being into the sport.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just leaving the plug out whenever I can and leave it in the sun (white hull side up!) in hope to dry whatever moisture may still be trapped in.

Well at least, it works well as a tri and performs quite well overall still.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make good on my earlier promise here, I have taken some comparative photos of two Open Oceans, an 8'4" 1992 and an 8'2" 1996, and two Mike's Labs, a 1990 and a 1993, which are both 8'10". In addition, I took photos providing a side view of each board depicting the volume flow from nose to tail.

Probably most notable in the comparative photo shots is the position of the mast tracks. These photos also show how the outlines differ, particularly in the width of noses and how the wide point of the new boards moved back. The side views are a bit more subtle, but in the two older boards most of the volume is forward and the tails are quite thin. With the two newer boards, the nose area thins out and the tails include significantly more volume.

Overall, the contrast tells an interesting story of the evolution in board design from two important designer builders, and how each was influenced by a driving movement in windsurfing that changed everything.

OO 96 sideview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.87 KB
 Viewed:  19049 Time(s)

OO 96 sideview.jpg

OO 92 sideview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.11 KB

OO 92 sideview.jpg

OOs compared.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.6 KB

OOs compared.jpg

ML 93 sideview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.83 KB

ML 93 sideview.jpg

ML 90 sideview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.98 KB

ML 90 sideview.jpg

MLs compared.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.94 KB

MLs compared.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
With the two newer boards, the nose area thins out and the tails include significantly more volume.

Overall, the contrast tells an interesting story of the evolution in board design from two important designer builders, and how each was influenced by a driving movement in windsurfing that changed everything.

Yes, but New/Changed does not automatically equate to Better/Improved. There are obvious tradeoffs -- beaten to death in magazines and this forum -- and whether either shape is "better" or "improved" is highly dependent on what each rider wants his board to excel at. And -- Surprise! Surprise! -- there are many other combinations that work well, again depending on what each rider wants for her own conditions and objectives ... the old Trad vs Stubby dichotomy personified.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top performers regardless of vintage should be available for purchase. Open source surf boards for the win!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question, all four of the boards that I have highlighted were fantastic boards that never disappointed, but as we all know, things change over time and rarely do we go back and redo the past and call it innovation.

I should point out that I have 10 Mike's Lab boards, and if I wanted to, I could present an interesting history how the design of Mike Zajicek's boards changed over time.

But, in my post above, I wanted to simply capture and depict a brief period in time for two respected designer builders that backed up what I commented on earlier a month or so ago. Overall, I think I've provided a fair and evenhanded presentation.

Bottomline, in my view, the "no nose" movement was hardly the negative fad that you tried to present so disdainfully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: