myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used several wave boards in the 90's, while avoiding the no nose trend, and my experience with 70 to 75 litre wave boards was that seemingly small differences in shaping and/or mast track positioning gave very different handling issues. You ended up with either ease of use (control) when you needed it, or out and out scare the pants off you performance. I never found one that gave both together.

After I moved on from there, I kept just two wave boards, a more traditional 06 Starboard 73 litre Acid, and an original 05 74 litre Starboard Evo. Despite all the criticism of the Evo, that ORIGINAL one was the easiest wave board to use within its intended range (sloppy surf and moderate winds. It only became a handful in stronger stuff.) , while the Acid was more like a pocket rocket by comparison.

After dragging the Acid back out, first time for ages, a couple of days ago in VERY gusty 4.5 conditions, I quickly realised, and remembered why I'd abandoned it, and that it was past its sell by date in comparison with modern bit bigger multi fin wave boards. It's now back in the attic!

At anyrate, it was a useful reminder to avoid thinking the grass used to be greener (in my case, if not in others) and I can again more appreciate my current favourite 84 and 94 litre Cross boards. That extra volume, and more up to date shaping makes all the difference in our gusty and awkward conditions. Thinking back, there were very few days with the Acid that it really excelled in, and far too much dropping in and cursing. Can do without that now!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
isobars, it seems that I've really got under your skin, but frankly, that's very easy to do as most of us already know.

As usual, you're psychoanalyzing me without evidence. The only way you might "get under my skin" is by continuing to mislead gullible, information-seeking readers by telling them I'm lying or spewing BS -- i.e., impeaching my facts and opinions -- without presenting any evidence to support your claims.

swchandler wrote:
Nevertheless, I stand by what I've said whether you like it not. Somebody needs to call out your negative BS.

No, someone needs to provide proof that facts are negative (or positive) and that opinions differing from yours are inherently BS.

swchandler wrote:
... the older OOs that I highlighted to Craig ... are in a storage facility
That's odd; any boards I like that much are in my RV 24/7, reddy to rip when conditions are right.

swchandler wrote:
[both of my Mike's Lab boards] are slalom boards that will readily support everything I've said.

No, they don't, as I pointed out. Even if they fit your claims, a sample of 1 or 2 implies next to nothing about the early '90s fleet or the NN craze.

swchandler wrote:
Lastly, I should point out that all four of these boards were unquestionable winners ...

Then why do so many accomplished sailors question -- or completely deny -- your claim, which leaves NO room for individual preferences?

After giving you several chances to pay SOME attention to facts in evidence and/or opinions FAR more credible than yours or mine, you continue to tell the world that yours are the only valid ones. I'm done here. It's back in the bucket with ye.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
.... either ease of use (control) when you needed it, or out and out scare the pants off you performance. I never found one that gave both together.

They're out there; ya just gotta look harder. I never said it was easy, although some of them just fell into my lap.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Despite all the criticism of the Evo, that ORIGINAL one was the easiest wave board to use within its intended range (sloppy surf and moderate winds. It only became a handful in stronger stuff.)

I fully agree. I loved mine until the wind came up and it bit me. I sold it with a clear conscience to a guy who wanted it expressly for riding smooth swell, luffed, in modest winds.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
After dragging the Acid back out, first time for ages, a couple of days ago in VERY gusty 4.5 conditions, I quickly realised, and remembered why I'd abandoned it, and that it was past its sell by date in comparison with modern bit bigger multi fin wave boards. It's now back in the attic!

Right where it should be in those conditions. One can't blame a board when trying to force fit it into very wrong conditions.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
it was a useful reminder to avoid thinking the grass used to be greener (in my case, if not in others) and I can again more appreciate my current favourite 84 and 94 litre Cross boards. That extra volume, and more up to date shaping makes all the difference in our gusty and awkward conditions.

Again I agree, as I have stated many times. This in no way contradicts any of my comments in this thread.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Thinking back, there were very few days with the Acid that it really excelled in, and far too much dropping in and cursing.

The anger/cursing is an individual choice. Solutions include a bigger sail, bigger fin, bigger and more modern board, and accepting the holes if the gusts make up for them and the risks are acceptable.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, I think we're done on this thread, but like I said earlier, I will post photos that support all that I said.

Although some might be anxious for a quick response on my photos, it probably won't happen before March. Still though, I will come through and prove what I've said.

It's pretty old stuff, but why not. History can often tell an interesting tale.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars wrote (about using the 73 litre Acid) -'Solutions include a bigger sail, bigger fin, BIGGER AND MORE MODERN BOARD.'

The highlighted part was precisely the point I made after long experience of trying to 'work' small wave boards in our very gusty real world SURF conditions, and is where I now stand! The other offered (not required) solutions of bigger fin and bigger sail (been there done that) will NOT keep the small Acid afloat in our typical frequent lulls. They add nothing when you are down with a wall of white water bearing down on you!

I am far from being the only real world surf conditions ex small board user who has now moved on from trying to fit square pegs into round holes! Trying to tell me where I went wrong is silly, at the very least.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent French magazine tests show over 2lb difference across different models of similar sizes.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17lbs equipped dry after the repair and now again 18lbs+ slightly damp after some use.

Feels a bit heavy again, really?... how would 1lb+ of water makes it way in now?

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you still have a leak, but absorbent footstraps could hold a little extra weight. Leaks can be insidiously deceptive. I've had leaks in
footstrap inserts and around the mast base and around the fin box, that
I swore I'd fixed, but ........ the board took on water again. It's been a
long time since this was an issue for me. When Epoxy boards were a
new technology, they seemed to have more issues than they do now.
Take the board off the water, and leave it out in the sun for a few minutes
and spray a soapy fluid all over the thing.
You'll probably see some bubbles (maybe even in a place where you've
already done a healthy repair.)

-Craig

manuel wrote:
17lbs equipped dry after the repair and now again 18lbs+ slightly damp after some use.

Feels a bit heavy again, really?... how would 1lb+ of water makes it way in now?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet footstraps alone can easily make a pound difference. There's a reason many racers prefer footstraps with no or minimal neoprene. Raceboarders sometimes go a step further since they have so many straps, and just have a strap of plastic without any covering.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah both straps and pads... Plus I'm paranoid now.

Just tried starboard kp pro model, 15.5lbs equipped!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: