myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Quiver, Standard Planing and foiling board combo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cPtea66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Board Quiver, Standard Planing and foiling board combo? Reply with quote

What is the biggest standard planning board you using after you started foiling?

I was looking to buy my self a 115 standard FSW board (Great lakes sometimes schogy getting back to beach 190LB).

but if the future is foiling?

Should I just stay with my 101 FSW until I'm ready to pull the Foil trigger?

Interested in what standard panning/foiling quiver people are using?

Thanks sorry to many Questions in one.
cPtea
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Board Quiver, Standard Planing and foiling board combo? Reply with quote

Balz seems to do very fine with a Moses and a (VERY) narrow freestyle board https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrupMZ1qyrk !! Moses has a Balz special in production as we speak (as well as the vento freeride https://store.moseshydrofoil.com/products/kit-vento-8590 that is very similar to the Slingshot but of better quality).

Last edited by dvCali on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get the gear you need is to ask questions. The issue is we all have different opinions based on where we sail and our skill level as windsurfers. So here is my thoughts. Go some where and demo but that's nearly impossible. A Winter trip to Baja your best bet. You can use a windsurf board and get a foil that will fit. Half here started that way and to the man ditched the WS board for a dedicated foil board. Now there are cross over boards that do both well. Up haul happens in foiling so you need a board that makes it easy to do so. Dust off your small sails cause your going to be using them a lot on foil. On the very lite wind days at my spot I would need a 6.5 or bigger to get going on half the lake. On foil I use a 4.7 and go shore to shore in that same wind. As a new foiler I would tell you to get a free ride type wing. Mid to larger size at your weight. Much easier to learn on and you can always add a smaller wing to your set up later if needed. New stuff coming out all the time. I foil Naish because of the one bolt foil connection and the sliding foil track. Right now the Sling Shot Infinity 76 foil might be the best all round foil going. I learned on that an was foiling the first day. Fast and forgiving. Carbon every thing is not necessary. It only makes it easier to carry you gear to the water. Maybe after your up and going the high end carbon gear is worth it. Foil mast size is always a topic for discussion for a new guy. If you old and fragile start short. If not go for the longest one that the water where you sail will allow. Crash happens on foil just like windsurfing. A crash from a foot above the water MIGHT be less harsh than one from three feet above. That said the longer foil mast gives much more height to adjust before you foil out. So you will crash less as you learn to control your flight. Check out the post fin vs. foil for more input on gear size and some pro/con input. I only carry a foil board 122 and a 115 windsurf board and 5.5 for windsurfing and a 4.7 and 3.7 for foiling. Lots of time I foil early and plug in the same sail into my WS board later in the day. In light wind places foiling greatly extends your time on the water.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I think its going to be a windy day, I take out my 115 W/S board and throw in my Tabou 3S 96. Still my favorite for fun on the water.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately been switching from 122 Naish foilboard to 105 liter freeride when wind get's too strong to foil.
At 155 lbs, that's 20 mph gusts with a 6.6 sail.
Got 60 days foiling in.
If I were to start foiling, I'd recommend a 150 liter board and at least 1200 sq cm foil, to assist going out in breezes of 6-13mph with a 6 meter sail. Light days, the breeze can drop to 2 easily.
cPtea66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Novaan

Sound like this Would be a fine quiver of boards

My 101 FSW
The used 115FSW I'm looking to buy now.
A future foil board 125to150 in a year or so.

My sails 4.3 to 6.0 would match. my 6.7 to 9.2 would be obsolete.

Still would be interested to see what others have for a quiver are or what they think would be a good quiver.

Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 110 Skate.
The more gear you bring, the better you can finetune.
And more choices can lead to more errors.
Hardly any big sail is a bad choice for light wind foiling.
My Naish setup easily holds a 6.9 for me and should be good up to 7.7, but maybe not my 8.3.
I have yet to bring my 7.4 or 7.7 this year.
In the van right now, light wind predicted, are Naish 122, Isonic 111, Naish Freeride 105, and sails from 6.6 down.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would get good input if you post your windsurfing skill level and the wind and water conditions where you sail..In foiling I rig for the gusts because the foil requires less wind and power to keep flying in the lulls. There is not a reason to go to a foil board any bigger then you need to up haul. That said a bigger board doesn't affect the ride once you up and going to much. Just like windsurfing, as your skills improve foiling you can use smaller gear in a given
wind. Bearing off wind and a good pumping motion makes a huge difference in foiling..
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm your weight. Just grabbed a 109L freestyle board as my biggest with the plan to also foil on it. My foil boards have each gotten smaller (135..122..now 109). I don't plan to foil with anything bigger than a 5.0 on it, but I may fin sail it with a 6.5 in the same conditions depending on how I feel.
It'll make a poor ultra light wind foil board but I'm fortunate to live in an area where it's either nothing or +15.
A 115 FSW could fill the same role with more emphasis on light wind wave sailing (which is also great on a foil).

I expect to be able to drop down to a 95 quad if I'm in waves or a 85 single for blasting making for a very compact quiver.
cPtea66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101fsw-Break through year. Planning out jibes almost 50% of time when I’ve rigged right. I have uphaul it a few times

Under 14knot
Quite often gusty especially harbour and bays. Under 2 foot chop
Open Eire and Ontario lake less gusty under 3 foot.

I have a 125rocket that I used with 7:5 and 9.2 but with light fluky summer wind. Rarely have a solid season.
Last session ended up sitting watching a foiler completing full jibes and point way high up wind with a 6:0 sail.

101 fsw love it.
Replace the 125rocket with the 115fsw
Then Foil.

Thanks
cPtea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: