myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/3 Wetsuit Reccomendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When those front entry, wrist entry, suits came out in 1984, I took one look at the 10" entry hole and passed.
30 years later, I still have not tried one.
No loss. When I really need a 4/3, everyone on their new suits are also wearing 4/3's, and we're all getting cold just the same.
Back zips, NO stupid flap, for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two much improved features of the newer generation are their light weight and their superior stretch.

One of my "wrist entry" suits, a Quicksilver, is not bad to get on and off despite conforming with its size chart. Much depends on the design rather than the basic concept. Of course, that presumes most customers WANT a tight suit they can barely get into and out of. IMO, snug is fine but TIGHT is usually an unnecessary PITA. It escapes me why so many suit designers avoid the obvious blend: tons of stretch and a full horizontal shoulder to shoulder zip entry.

This whole dilemma makes trying suits on before choosing even more vital than it used to be. One mail order solution is to order a couple of them, pick the one that fits the best, and return the other. Be sure to get that approved in advance with no restocking fee, and talk to them first to get their sizing advice; that's one feature Promotion is very impressive about.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to provide an update on this as well as thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions. First a couple of my own observations after trying on a few westuits from varying brands:

1. Newer wetsuits are indeed stretchier and lighter than the old stuff

2. The arms of some newer wetsuits are super thin and feel more like wearing a rashguard allowing for full range of motion

3. Trying on several wetsuits is physically exhausting

4. I am not a front zip wetsuit guy despite giving it an honest try

5. While back zip was easier to get in and out of than front zip, the length of back zippers has gotten shorter and isn't as easy to walk into as my older wetsuits

6. I miss the gusseted ankle cuffs from older wetsuits and getting my size 13 wide feet in and out of some of these newer suits was absolute torture

In the end, I ended up spending more than anticipated but, am very happy with my purchase of a 2018 NP Combat 3.5 back zip in size XL for $225. This suit has the Armor-Skin which should help a little with wind chill.

NP COMBAT ARMOR SKIN 3.5 GBS BZ 2018

Happy Thanksgiving!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killeen_john wrote:
I miss the gusseted ankle cuffs from older wetsuits and getting my size 13 wide feet in and out of some of these newer suits was absolute torture

Same here, except my 13s are not so wide. My problem's the ankles; mine don't bend much. That's by FAR the worst part of getting any full-length suit off for me; just that can take five minutes right on the edge of dislocating a thumb.

I've tried all of these solutions. They all work to varying degrees.
• Panty hose. Sheer ones work GREAT.
• Neosocks work very well.
• Various anti-chafing skin sprays help a bit.
• Cutting the ankle cuffs off a new suit Neil Pride was so proud of many years ago.
• Buying oversized suits.
• Having Promotion add gusseted ankle cuffs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: