myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick - interview and BCDC - good news!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Candlestick - interview and BCDC - good news! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I wanted to make a new topic so interested folks see this.
Riptide updated another topic, but its name has 'only bad news' and I do not like it.

First of all, thank you for our windsurfing and now-wingers who send emails, fill boring forms and complaints. It feels sometimes that nothing changes. The fact is it does, unfortunately its a very very slow timeline such that it is hard to stay optimistic.
Nevertheless, I think these are good news.

On Jan 12, 2024 we have an interview with Dana from the Sonoma University who will be recording the history of windsurfing at Candlestick on behalf of the State Parks!
I am still waiting for answers from some folks who surely windsurfed there long time ago and if you would like to tell your story as well, please reach out to me. This will be amazing to have this recorded.

On Feb 8, 2023 there is a public BCDC hearing about the formal enforcement complaint
(ER2022.028.00) that was filled on 4/3/2023 in regards to the access to the Candlestick State Park. There were additional complaints filled and were added to the original one since they were seen as duplicates).
I wanted to stress out that BCDC is very serious about Environmental Justice and Candlestick State Park is within the Bayview community that for years has been fighting for the safety, cleanliness and against funding disparity, stalled development, concrete crushing near homes, illegal dumping and homelessness and etc. The community non profits regularly holds meetings with City, Public Works, SF Police, DPW, State Parks and with other agencies and relentlessly works to have a safe and clean neighborhood. The community non-profit also filed the official complaint about the access with BCDC which was added to ER2022.028.00.
Our - water recreational users - interests do intersect here, while the most impactful issue here is Environmental Justice. With limited unauthorized restricted hours and flooded roads
that remained under water for months after last winter - Dep of Parks and Recreation is in violation of the Permit 1979.014.11. While State Park is allowed to request the reasonable restricted hours, the approval must come from BCDC and at this moment such request has not been filed (since early 2022 BCDC was requesting for the reasons for restricting the access). Candlestick State Park has many challenges but also has to be in the agreement with permit.
Please keep an eye on this very important Public BCDC hearing and we will be coordinating with the community on the addressing BCDC.

Have good holidays!
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news cosmoecho,

When Dana from the Sonoma University does the history she might mention:

1. the IW Candlestick sensor archives that have a historical record of thousands of days of Stick winds going back to Dec. 2004: https://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=215&archiveMonth=12&archiveYear=2004&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=126&geographicalAreaID=0

2. The pages devoted to Candlestick in the book: "Windfinder: A windsurfing guide to the San Francisco Bay area & beyond" published in 1989 and still on Amazon.

3. And the history of Candlestick forecasts going back to companies of WindSight (Phone WindTalker) then Call of the Wind (Genius Pager) , then iwindsurf.com (website) and now Weatherflow.com (smart phones)

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow

StickBook.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  322.18 KB
 Viewed:  4338 Time(s)

StickBook.jpg

cosmoecho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great Mike, thank you!

I will absolutely mention this all to Diana.
And to everyone else, if you have photos from Candlestick you would like to share,
let me know, PM me, post here or alternatively I can provide some folder to upload.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six active windsurfing shops on the Peninsula alone. Those were the days!
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Six active windsurfing shops on the Peninsula alone. Those were the days!
ASD should be there too, or did they start after 1989?
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder! This Friday (Jan 12) 10 am we meet with Dana from Sonoma University to record the history of windsurfing at Candlestick!
Come to windsurf circle parking lot.
Hope to see folks there!
growthstarboard@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cosmoecho geometry dash world
I hope to be able to participate in this event.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the Phone with BCDC Adrienne Klein. She said thank you for calling. Yes the meeting and process is delayed. Stayed tuned for more information.

February 8th meeting is canceled.
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Candlestick - interview - windsurfing history Reply with quote

Folks!

I have not posted the outcome, but the interview with Dana went pretty good.
We met at the candlestick, showed windsurfing pictures, talked about the events that took place at Candlestick, the fog, the winds etc.
Was great, thank you for all who came and who participated otherwise.

Will post the final version when Dana provides us.

On the other news. Do you remember voting for Prop 68 in 2018 in California?
If you did, then you voted for the 2 mil that will go (before 2027) to Candlestick State Park
bathroom repairs, sewage, picnic table updates and old fishing pier restoration.
The public announcement about allotted award is not out yet, I will post when it comes out.
sergem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's welcome to use clips from my videos, e.g.:

http://videojibe.com/videos/the-grind/
http://videojibe.com/videos/stick-moves/
http://videojibe.com/videos/jacks-claim/
http://videojibe.com/videos/candlestick/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: