myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board advice for 95 L Bump and Jump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my multi fin boards in the waves, and also have FSW boards with thruster options that I find useful for using them in dtl conditions, but if I wasn’t focused on wave sailing I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the number of fins on a FSW.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights so far. Someone offered an opinion about whether multi-fin would be useful even though I don't wave sail. My only prior brief time on one was on my brother's custom Open Ocean at the Gorge, but those were with angled canted multiple little mini thrusters. That board stuck to the water like no board I had ever sailed.

Regarding width, there are no 95 L boards less than 60 wide, and I do need that volume for my weight, offshore wind slogging, and some slight additional float for light wind onshore shore break. If narrow width helps smooth up chop, how would the boards I am considering compare to some really old classic boards, I'm thinking like a Mistral flow 276 (loved the 284 I had) or even older, original Screamer (which I also had)?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi fin : Each variation has its own little niche. Twin , tri fins, quads , and current Fashion plate is 5 boxes.

For not wave sailing the tri fin is my choice, but I also ride a quad.

The tri fin is adaptable using different size fins , you can get close to a twin by using 3 fins of similar length, feel of a single is using a large 20cm, as a example, and 12cm sides. Then any variation in between.

OO is not what I consider a modern tri, with its tiny side fins. Def has its followers.

A quad set up on a FSW could be a oxy moron concept , the quad set up is more sensitive to sizes and location of the fin cluster.

The koolest board I have is my creation a conversion of a Naish Freeride to a compact shape, and quad.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference of the boards you listed.
Cross
3S..... older say 2007–8 go down on list
RRD ..most find it peachy, others too plain vanilla

Simmer , 1st year made in China, has problems. A some point switched to a factory in Vietnam , so newer that V1, move up list.

I would not rule out single fins, nor would I rule out multi.

The Exocet Wave of a few years back was very FSW oriented.
The Pocket Wave of Tabou could work nicely also .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not a pure wave sailor, there is no reason to deal with muti fin boards.
More is not always better. How wide a board is, is not the only thing to consider when looking for a smooth ride. Board shape, bottom design, tail thickness, where the wide point is located and pad density all play a part. The 96 liter 3s is 62.5 cm wide but the tail is thin and narrow. The pads are super thick and soft. The wide point is forward to aid in early take off but once in the straps and going it seems to lift out of the water. I have no idea what the winger tail and 2 step cut outs do, maybe reduce tail surface. A lot going on there. But ask anyone that has one and they will tell you the same thing. Smooth and easy board to sail. I hear that the RRD and some of the Goya boards might easy and smooth boards also..
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrow is much smoother riding, but requires sail power to get upwind. Love my 56cm wide 94 liter JP 255, but it needs more wind than my 86 3s, 84 FSW, or 78 RW that is 59 wide.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Regarding width, there are no 95 L boards less than 60 wide, and I do need that volume for my weight, offshore wind slogging, and some slight additional float for light wind onshore shore break. If narrow width helps smooth up chop, how would the boards I am considering compare to some really old classic boards, I'm thinking like a Mistral flow 276 (loved the 284 I had) or even older, original Screamer (which I also had)?

I have at least four, maybe >6, mid-90L boards, from 1999 to 2014, ranging from 56 to 59 cm wide. I prefer them to any of today's stubby boards I've ridden when there are bumps to slash, tight jibes to be made, and/or chop to subdue and I'm powered up the way I prefer. My weight during the time I've had them has ranged from 180 to 200 #, so they're my big boards. Every one of them is far better riding and much more turny than my Flow. They handle my biggest sail, a 6.2, with complete ease even in serious B&J mode. I would not hesitate to try them with a 7.0 if there was swell, and I have enjoyed them hammered on 4.2s when I'm worried about getting back after dark or had a big wind shadow to cross.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3S , Factory , like a 2011 with newer graphics.

USBox and slots from the factory.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon everyone has a favorite , that seems it should appeal to everyone else.
Funny. How a near 20YO board is the cats meow .

What is hilarious , pathetic in thinking : is someone who can state to not consider multi fins.
Umm they are hard to deal with. Rather like a standard transmission

dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible a narrower, thus near 20 year old design doesn't need training wheels to perform with consistency and dependability. For some, the wider widetailed boards can use a little help on their back ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: