myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I ever say that it was a "valid and useful" law?

Do I have a problem with Republicans packing up and leaving California? Not at all, in fact, I can only hope that they do.

Do you think that your unhappy brother has had enough to leave? If not, it can't be that bad yet.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
If you guys think it is a valid and useful law - good for you. It will only motivate more people to high tail it out of the Golden state.

Well, I’m for keeping it nutty if it keeps people like you away. I’m not anti-redneck, but you really can’t expect me to complain about them leaving the state. I totally support their freedom.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
If you guys think it is a valid and useful law - good for you. It will only motivate more people to high tail it out of the Golden state. Of course, the courts get to do their thing to see if it is a go, but I speculate that it will be shot down.

Who said that? I said that I give money to the ACLU, which litigated the law. I do think that there should be disciplinary procedures for doctors who recommend whacky things because they're being paid by big pharma or supplement companies. But that is a different question.

Unfortunately, Techno is so besotted by Fox news folks who make money stirring him up, he's not capable of a thoughtful critique of either California or one party rule. But there is a thoughtful article in the current issue of the New Yorker on Austin, Texas, and how it is changing. It is possible to think beyond Fox news talking points and attacks.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If California chooses to keep throwing billions into the septic tank, good for them, but the federal dollars that have been going that way really pisses me off. Over a billion so far, but recently, Calif was denied a request for another billion. Some folks are waking up.

Quote:
New cost estimate for high-speed rail puts California bullet train $100 billion in the red

BY RALPH VARTABEDIAN MARCH 7, 2023UPDATED MARCH 8, 2023

IN SUMMARY

The latest report from the California High-Speed Rail Authority projects costs for the initial segment at $35 billion, which exceeds secured funding by $10 billion. Other segments of the system are likely to have their projected costs increase, too. The state hopes it will get more federal aid.

When Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled his scaled down blueprint for the California bullet train four years ago, he proposed building a 171-mile starter segment in the Central Valley that would begin operating in 2030 and cost $22.8 billion.

Today, the blueprint is fraying — costs now exceed future funding, an official estimate of future ridership has dropped by 25%, and the schedule to start to carry people is slipping. That’s raising fresh concerns about the future of the nation’s largest infrastructure project.

New cost figures issued in an update report from the California High-Speed Rail Authority show that the plan to build the 171-mile initial segment has shot up to a high of $35 billion, exceeding secured funding by $10 billion.

The cost of that partial system is now higher than the $33 billion estimate for the entire 500-mile Los Angeles to San Francisco system when voters approved a bond in 2008.

What’s worse, that full system cost is set at up to $128 billion in the update, leaving a total funding gap of more than $100 billion for politicians to ponder.

The cost estimate for the initial 171-mile segment now exceeds the $33 billion estimate for the entire 500-mile Los Angeles to San Francisco system when voters approved a bond in 2008.

Read more at: https://calmatters.org/transportation/2023/03/california-high-speed-rail/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
If California chooses to keep throwing billions into the septic tank, good for them, but the federal dollars that have been going that way really pisses me off. Over a billion so far, but recently, Calif was denied a request for another billion. Some folks are waking up.

As a huge fan of Germany's ICE system & Japan's Skinkansen, I am partial to fast, efficient trains. However, I do believe the way CA is handling high speed rail is completely FUBARed; too many chiefs & not enough Indians.

At this point I could get pissed off at how the redneck states receive far more from the Feds than they pay in while the blue states pay in more than they receive, but then we are one country and it is the responsibility of the fortunate to help the special needs.

You are welcome Techno.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Techno occasionally gets one right. I voted for the bonds, but soured on it quickly when I saw the crew of low lifes and cheerleaders involved. Quentin Kopp for one. The same amount of money invested in light rail in urban areas would have done far more good.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
techno900 wrote:

As a huge fan of Germany's ICE system & Japan's Skinkansen, I am partial to fast, efficient trains. However, I do believe the way CA is handling high speed rail is completely FUBARed; too many chiefs & not enough Indians.

At this point I could get pissed off at how the redneck states receive far more from the Feds than they pay in while the blue states pay in more than they receive, but then we are one country and it is the responsibility of the fortunate to help the special needs.

You are welcome Techno.

Coachg

A valid point, but the issue here is that the federal dollars that have gone to this boondoggle of a project is wasted money, and good old Newsom keeps pushing the project ahead. Now it seems that the cost for this will continue to be on the backs of Calif. taxpayers. Truly nutty.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Now it seems that the cost for this will continue to be on the backs of Calif. taxpayers. Truly nutty.

One day may come when I find a politician that is perfect in all respects. That day hasn't come so until that time I have to balance what I like with what I don't; choose the lesser of two evils.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
California Bill Will Release Death Sentenced Murderers After 20 Years

These are murderers who killed multiple victims or killed in concert with a rape, robbery, kidnapping or torture

By Michael Rushford, April 11, 2023 3:52 pm

The California Senate Public Safety Committee voted on a bill Tuesday to give the state’s worst murderers, who have been sentenced to death or life without the possibility of parole (LWOP), the opportunity to have their sentences invalidated and make them eligible for parole.

Senate Bill 94, authored by Senator Dave Cortese (D-Santa Clara), specifies that criminals convicted of murder with special circumstances before June 5, 1990, and sentenced to death or LWOP would be provided with a public defender to petition for recall and resentencing. The bill would authorize the court to modify the murderer’s sentence to impose a lesser sentence and apply any changes in law that reduce sentences or provide for judicial discretion, or to vacate the murderer’s conviction and impose judgment on a lesser included offense.

Among the murderers who could apply for a sentence reduction and possible release is Tiequon Cox, who in 1984, went to the wrong Los Angeles home for a gang-revenge killing and murdered a mother, her daughter and two of her grandchildren. Cox was sentenced to death for these crimes. In 2004, while on death row, Cox stabbed another condemned murderer and, along with three other murderers, cut a hole in the San Quentin fence and nearly escaped.

Co-authors of SB94 include Democrat Senators Josh Becker (D-San Mateo), Senator Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley), Senator Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco), and Assemblywoman Corrie Jackson (D-Riverside) and Assemblywoman Akilah Weber (D-San Diego).

The beneficiaries of this measure, if passed, will be criminals convicted of first-degree murder with special circumstances. These are murderers who killed multiple victims or killed in concert with a rape, robbery, kidnapping or torture. While it would seem unthinkable for any legislator, let alone a group of them, to want their names on a bill that would allow murderers like these to go free, bear in mind that Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascón, Alameda County DA Pamela Price and California Attorney General Rob Bonta all support setting murderers free after 15-20 years in prison.

With the recent fatal shooting of a 5-year-old girl riding in the backseat of her parents car on a bay area freeway, last week’s fatal stabbing of revered tech executive Bob Lee on a San Francisco sidewalk, and the random murder of an innocent hostage and injury of two others at a Roseville Park, the slogan “no justice, no peace” seems quite appropriate for the Golden State.

This article was updated to reflect that the bill was already heard Tuesday.

https://californiaglobe.com/articles/california-bill-will-release-death-sentenced-murderers-after-20-years/
mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno can always stay up on the porch and whine about crime and liberals being soft on crime. My son-in-law is a Sargeant in the Oakland police force, so I know a bit about violent crime and responses. But if Techno wants to be safer, he really needs to move out of the South.

Here are the 10 states with the highest murder rate:

Mississippi - 20.50 per 100k
Louisiana - 19.90 per 100k
Alabama - 14.20 per 100k
Missouri - 14 per 100k
Arkansas - 13 per 100k
South Carolina - 12.70 per 100k
Tennessee - 11.50 per 100k
Maryland - 11.40 per 100k
Illinois - 11.20 per 100k
New Mexico - 10.80 per 100k

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/murder-rate-by-state
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 203 of 205

Jump to: