myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's stay with the Covid metrics. Studies show that California's economy did not suffer from the shut-down approach. Vaccination rate reported today is up to 58.5%. Marin County is over 80%. Of course the hold-outs are predominately Trumpists. From today's Gray Lady:

Quote:
Red America’s problem
There is a political angle to these trends, of course. The places with the lowest vaccination rates tend to be heavily Republican. In an average U.S. county that voted for Donald Trump, only 34 percent of people are fully vaccinated, according to New York Times data. In an average country that voted for Joe Biden, the share is 45 percent (and the share that has received at least one shot is higher).

Data shows that the the rate of new Covid cases drops in half when the vaccination rate goes up from 35% to 60%.

Techno and buggy whip--foot soldiers in the conservative war against the truth.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....I think I'll move to Oklahoma City, Charlotte, or SLC.... sure. San Francisco is a spectacular city, I've lived here 31 years. Keep chirping minions....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd like SLC. Outdoor rec potential here is excellent. Crime is low.
Tech is high. Employment potential excellent (if you have tech skills).
Housing and utilities moderate. Higher Education quite good (depends
on the school). The only downside that affects me is air quality. Also
I think Utah did an excellent job in vaccination rollout. I care nothing
about whether my neighbors were "he who shall not be named" supporters,
or Biden supporters. I'd rather be skiing, biking, windsurfing.....with them
(and/or drinking whiskey and listening to vinyl ;*)) anyway.

-Craig

p.s. I could live in San Francisco also, if I had enough resources, might miss my mountains a little bit though.

boggsman1 wrote:
Yeah....I think I'll move to Oklahoma City, Charlotte, or SLC.... sure. San Francisco is a spectacular city, I've lived here 31 years. Keep chirping minions....
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig... I love Snowbird, I love the MTB riding.. I don't love the scorching summer heat, and I don't like the politics.. Two of my best buddies live in Cottonwood Heights, and its an outdoorsman's paradise for sure...Maybe I shouldn't have listed SLC, I'll replace it with Dallas.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've bugged each other about this before. You'll recall
I also live in Cottonwood Heights. Dallas sucks ;*) ;*)

-Craig

boggsman1 wrote:
Craig... I love Snowbird, I love the MTB riding.. I don't love the scorching summer heat, and I don't like the politics.. Two of my best buddies live in Cottonwood Heights, and its an outdoorsman's paradise for sure...Maybe I shouldn't have listed SLC, I'll replace it with Dallas.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A federal grand jury has voted to indict a former presidents firm and chief financial officer and not one peep of it on Fox News for the past week. Instead they focus day after day, non stop coverage on a single resident of the United States because she choose to to turn her back at a flag. They gang up on her and direct their millions of viewers to stir up online hate and vitriol (possible death threats) because she choose the most simple form of freedom of expression, that constitutional right that Fox viewers implore must be upheld at all costs.

She simply moved her leg muscles during a song. Holy Fuck, this is some serious shit.

This is how dumb Fox viewers are.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64twb

The right has NO other credentials right now except flag waving.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends on the Air Pollution Control District have decided to hold big oil accountable for particulate emissions in poor communities. Quick, look over here at DDT in Africa.

Quote:
The Air District adopted Rule 6-5 in 2015 to minimize particulate matter emissions from Fluidized Catalytic Cracking Units, or FCCUs, which are the largest single source of particulate matter emissions at refineries and some of the largest individual sources of particulate matter in the Bay Area. The new amendments impose stricter FCCU control requirements to reduce health-threatening air pollution.

The region-wide health benefits of attaining and maintaining compliance with ambient air standards for particulate matter are significant. Analysis by Air District staff found that PM2.5, which is emitted from FCCUs, is the primary health threat from air pollution in the Bay Area, particularly in terms of premature mortality. The Air District has calculated that for the million people most affected, exposure to particulate matter from the Chevron refinery in Richmond increases mortality by an average of up to 11.6 deaths per year and an average of up to 6.3 deaths per year from the PBF Martinez refinery.

Rule 6–5 applies to the four refineries in the Bay Area that have FCCUs. One of these refineries already controls emissions from their FCCU with a wet gas scrubber. The other refineries may decide to install wet gas scrubbing systems to comply with the new amendments. More information is available on the Air District's Rule 6–5 web page.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, on this particular topic.....the impact of bad air quality on poor communities....Berkeley does speak from considerable experience. For 16 years he worked for the Port of Oakland, one of the worst polluters in the State, which services cargo shipping and airline industries, two of the largest contributors to greenhouse gases and bad air quality on the planet. The impact on the surrounding communities has been dire for decades.

"West Oakland residents have endured poor air quality and poor health for decades. Effective community organizing, combined with government regulations and other interventions, have improved conditions considerably, but disparities persist. The highest levels of diesel particulate matter in the Bay Area are found in West Oakland. Neighborhoods near the Port of Oakland and busy Seventh Street experience nearly three times the cancer risk from local pollution sources, compared to neighborhoods farther away. Across West Oakland, people experience higher rates of asthma, cardiovascular disease, and premature death than other parts of Alameda County and the region."
https://www.baaqmd.gov/~/media/files/ab617-community-health/west-oakland/100219-files/owning-our-air-plan-summary-pdf.pdf

West Oakland residents whose health has been ruined by the activities at the Port are predominantly black and Hispanic.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy whip being "fair"? Like caring about the environment--not going to happen. He is a serial liar. In fact, the Port of Oakland has reduced the particulate emissions by about 85%. The entire time I was at the Port, the emissions were going down.

Chevron fought particulate controls to the bitter end, threatening layoffs to secure labor support. Buggy whip's hero, Exxon, earned the sobriquet here, "the sign of the double cross."

He is a liar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 152 of 205

Jump to: