myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Reassessment of twin cam sails and longish boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Windwing Interface 5.7 is not good without the cam.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the sleeve is narrow, you need to leave at least a cam or two in.
My Converts work great without cam, as does my MPR's.
4 cam WARPS still need a couple of cams.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never rigged a cammed sail in the Gorge, between the consistent wind and helpful current why would I?
Kind of like foiling or light wind slalom, why bother if you can expect +20 kts most days.

But for the other 99% of the planet there is a need for cams, foils and *gasp* even longboards.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I have never rigged a cammed sail in the Gorge, between the consistent wind ...why bother if you can expect +20 kts most days.

I would kill my dogs to see a summer that windy OR that consistent. Even its windiest month, July, isn't that good and can be MUCH worse ... as in 10-20 % of "most".
inf2003

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v8 is a great powerful sail . I have a 10.6 with a full carbon boom and 100% matching carbon mase (520 I think) that I purchased a few years ago for $700 for the package plus shipping. My wife passed and we had to sell the lake house so I only used them once. they are all in perfect condition. If anyone is interested I would let them go reasonably. It was a very powerful sail.

the mast is the matching neilpryde matrix x6 required by manufacturer and the carbon boom is a hawaiian proline. They are located in the boston or southern nh area
Scott
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cams just fine on sails bigger than 7.5. The feeling on the reach is beautiful. Jibing is compromised, but it's a better compromise than not flying across a bay in light winds.
dyz36

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For inconsistent gusty Midwest winds, I definitely prefer 2 cam sails in 7+ size.i have struggled with an 8.5 nocam sail until I upgraded to a 7.2 and 9.5 2 cam sails and they were a very pleasant change. The 8.5 was nice but only when closely matched with the conditions.

Similarly, a performance long board has an unmatched range and makes gear selection so much easier for me.

I only get to sail a dozen times a year so an expert sailor or someone with more sailing time may have different preferences.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having moved recently to bay sailing predominately, I picked up a 7.5 twin cam last week and took it out yesterday. Took a little getting used to the difference vs a no cam. Not as soft a feeling of power, and I don't think I planed any earlier (maybe that will improve as I get more familiar with the sail). But I definitely appreciated the way the sail handled gusts, so I would say overall more range. Cam rotation when jibing was great, the biggest difference is rotation is more authoritative if you will. Overall I like it!
justall

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
Having moved recently to bay sailing predominately, I picked up a 7.5 twin cam last week and took it out yesterday. Took a little getting used to the difference vs a no cam. Not as soft a feeling of power, and I don't think I planed any earlier (maybe that will improve as I get more familiar with the sail). But I definitely appreciated the way the sail handled gusts, so I would say overall more range. Cam rotation when jibing was great, the biggest difference is rotation is more authoritative if you will. Overall I like it!

Just curious, what twin cam sail were you using?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cammed or not, lots of sails end up not being tuned correctly or matched with the correct mast. far too often, i see sails rigged poorly.

if rigged right:

RAF sails lose a little in top end stability and range.

cam sails are a bit more difficult to rig, and are heavier in cornering.

all about the trade offs.

largest misperception about prydes like v-8 commonly over the years was not nearly enough down haul. oh, and the advertised sizes were up to 10% smaller than reality. once tuned properly, they weren't nearly as truck like in their performance.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: