myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Broken ribs/ How long before sailing again?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuelb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Broken ribs/ How long before sailing again? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I broke 2 ribs, and a 3rd one could be slightly fractured too (or at least bruised), a week ago. I'm traveling in 4 weeks to Cabarete. Dr. says that it normally takes about 6 weeks to heal, but in the past I had a broken scapula that I´m pretty sure heal in less than 5 weeks.
What can I expect? If you have suffered similar injury, how long did it take you to windsurf again?

Thanks for your input
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally depends how good you sail, and how tough you are.
Some people sail in with 3 broken ribs, but they don't fall in, don't take catastrophic crashs, and don't need to carry their gear very far.
Those would consider a flak vest, 14 lbs of floatation compared to a PFD's 17.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never visited a doctor to get a diagnosis, but I've messed up my ribs numerous times. The worse was surfing screwing up connections at my sternum, and I was out of it for 10-12 weeks, but windsurfing has been far easier on me for recovery. One time at Jalama Beach, I got nailed by my boom, and I was going to the Gorge the next day. Just to sleep I was taking 2-3 ibruprofen every 4 hours, but I got through it all.

The big question of your ability to overcome your injury might be based on what kind of harness you use. I've always used a low riding seat harness which rides totally clear of my ribcage, but if you're a waist harness user, you might be too pained to make it work. If you're the latter, it just might be an opportunity to give a seat harness a try.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken as in jagged edges, or green-stick fractures (I'm guessing the former is considerably more dangerous)? Either way 4 weeks is optimistic, but then I've seen guys racing desert races with bone ends sticking out of their pant legs with nothing more to gain than a $10 trophy. The ironic part: they were disqualified anyway for being on crack.

Let me guess ... you're not smart enough to protect your body BEFORE you injure something. I sure as hell wasn't, and it cost me a lot of playtime. By the time I learned my lesson through dozens of similar hard knocks on different body parts BEFORE buying something to protect them, it took me an hour to put on all the $#!+ I wore for desert racing, and it takes me a significant while to put on all the protective $#!+ I wear for WSing. It has all earned its keep many times over, including preventing countless painful injuries plus the loss of two eyes and quite possibly my life.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your daily activities should be an indicator of healing.
Your body is the best source.
Once broken easier to break again, impact vest.

Young will heal sooner.

I would not place an unrealistic time of windsurfing again.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Broken ribs/ How long before sailing again? Reply with quote

I know you want to hear that 4 weeks will be OK, but....

I have broken my ribs (skiing and windsurfing). Some have already mentioned not all breaks are the same. If you break and displace a rib and it punches a lung
you will need immediate medical attention. If they're just cracked, and not
displaced, then pain will be your guide. 4 weeks is really optimistic (maybe miracle material) even for someone very young. 6 weeks is a pretty good call to be semi functional.

So here's a few indicators:

Can you sneeze? If sneezing puts you down, you're not ready to windsurf.
Can you sit down in a plush chair and then get back out without much pain?
Can you do that twice?
Can you do a pull up?

Until you answer yes, I'd recommend waiting. I tried to windsurf on
a set of broken ribs before they were healed. I was lucky to make it
1/4 of a mile out and 1/4 of a mile back for one reach, and that definitely
cured me of wanting to try until I was really healed.

If they're just cracked, and your doctor doesn't think motion is
life threatening I guess you could Narc up and see how well
you do. Probably not the smartest option, but hey it's your life.

Good Luck,

-Craig
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke 3 ribs last year. I didn't sail again till 8 weeks later, but that was partly lack of wind. I was aware of tenderness in my ribs even 8 weeks later. But I'm mid 40's so heal slower than younger people.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke 3 ribs at age 25. Couldn't do much of anything for week or two due to pain. Windsurfing started 5 months later. Mild pain when harness compressed. Nothing severe. Probably could've sailed a month earlier.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someoen just broke their ribs in a crash around here....they said 4 weeks.
Manuelb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I found my own post 5 years later looking for, guess what, windsufing with broken ribs.
By the way, thanks to those of you who gave me some advise in this issues.
Here's my 5 years update:
I didn't wait for the recommended 6 weeks. I ended up windsurfng in DR after 5 weeks and 3 days. Wave started to come down and I didn't want to miss the chance to jump and ride waves. I don't remember having any major discomfort, or having pain. I had a blast jumping small waves. The first day I used a seat harness, but by the next day I was back in a waist harness.
Since then, I have broken my ribs 4 more times, twice snowboarding and twice MTBiking, including a week and half ago. I only had one broken wrist before my 50's. You can call it mid-life crisis, that is, going out and have as much fun as you can before you're too old.
For the previous 3 times, a waited at least 5 weeks, mostly because it was too cold or the lack of wind, and in all those occasions, seems to me that the ribs where heal after 5 weeks, meaning they didn't hurt when I coughed, sneezed, or felt any kind of discomfort.
This time I'm going to Puerto Rico, although not a windsurfing trip. It would be at least 2 weeks since I broke my rib. If I have a chance to sail in flat water, I will probably give it a try. I would never try to ride wave or jump wave after only 2 weeks, not that I have to worry about that in PR during the summer. Mostly flat in the summer.
I'll post, hopefully I won't wait 5 years, whether I try or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: