myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil tips for beginners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Foil tips for beginners Reply with quote

This vid answers some of the questions I have had about foiling. I have been wondering how to get started. The answer is uphaul. I need to watch it again when I have more time. Another question I have is can you foil with a longboard?

http://www.windsurf.co.uk/foil-windsurfing-beginner-tips/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Foil tips for beginners Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
This vid answers some of the questions I have had about foiling. I have been wondering how to get started. The answer is uphaul. I need to watch it again when I have more time. Another question I have is can you foil with a longboard?

http://www.windsurf.co.uk/foil-windsurfing-beginner-tips/

No, you can't.
I mean, the current generation of popular Windfoils, which is getting all the attention for the last year or so... and which you can actually buy... are all for various sizes of shortboards. They are inserted into the finbox... or via a plate at the finbox. They would NOT be able to lift up the weight and leverage of a longboard (with a sailor and rig).
I've only seen prototypes for longboards. And these have been experimented with since 1979 and now. But nothing tried and practical for production and mass market appeal... for longboards, at this time (that I've seen).

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this vid... I'd heard about it, but not seen it yet !!

It was made by Big Winds in Hood River.
Eddy P - Big Winds manager, and former editor of Windsurfing Mag in the US, and high wind extreme sailor... is interviewing...
MacRae W - full time, basically pro sailor, wave and slalom competitor who finishes near the top in both disciplines. He sails all summer in the Gorge and all winter in Baja.

I talked to MacRae at the Event Site in the Gorge about all this last month. And talked to Eddy at the store later that weekend.

The only update I'd add to all the great info in this vid, is...
That MacRae is a lighter weight guy (his weight is in the vid) and a highly skilled and very efficient sailor, who normally is sailing in stronger wind than some of us. So for heavier guys (I'm 200 lbs) many people are suggesting wider boards than he suggests in this vid. And you can use a bigger sail, than he suggests.
I will be using an old FW board which they both said (and many other people) will be great. And I'll use a bigger sail, but will be cautious Smile
Anyway, great vid... thanks to both of them for doing it !!

bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, here is an interesting site for wind foiling.

http://www.foil-academy.com/courses/wind-foil-academy

I was making good progress last year with foiling until I had to shut down for rotator cuff surgery. Hopefully my surgeon will clear me to "ease back into my activities" this Thursday.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 7 foil rider's who rig where I do every day I go windsurfing, if the tide is above 3'.
All use Formula boards.
All use sail sizing SMALLER than what they'd use for slalom sailing, and around 4-5 meter's smaller than what they needed for Formula racing.
The guys my size usually use slightly bigger sails than I do for my freeride windsurfing, while they are doing course slalom. They need more active pumping and ooching to get the board up onto a plane, before they can fly the foil. Once up, they can glide in much lighter breeze than I can.
I'm 160ls. The foil guys around 200 usually use about 1 meter bigger sails than I do, I guess about what they would need if they were freeriding.
For learning, everyone proposes to use a much smaller sail, almost wave sail sizing for your body weight, then learn to pump onto the foil, which does foil in much lighter winds than the board needs to plane up.
And while you're pumping your Formula board onto a foil, remember your "mast", which is now a fin, is much bigger than any 70 cm Formula fin.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, foiling on a longboard doesn't make much sense. Duh!
jlooby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling on Longboards (sort of)

Windsurf_FlyerAction_SubHeader_950x530.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  512.39 KB
 Viewed:  20975 Time(s)

Windsurf_FlyerAction_SubHeader_950x530.jpg

download.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.18 KB
 Viewed:  20975 Time(s)

download.jpg

rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Robby Naish's newest video on light wind foiling. Really impressive light wind performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjEDlyBMAGc
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see in robby's video....he starts out in the straps and pumps up onto the foil....(he demonstrates this). are the other boards the same ? (horue, slinghot, JP)
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
i see in robby's video....he starts out in the straps and pumps up onto the foil....(he demonstrates this). are the other boards the same ? (horue, slinghot, JP)

Wide board with thick rails and inboard straps combined with a very early lifting foil.
Locals report that with FW boards you can easily slog in the evening front strap and pump from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: