myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Warming oceans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why did we waste so much time trying to fight global warming? We should have know about this instead!!!!!!!!!"
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Meanwhile, I ashamed to say I've been windsurfing again today, with hardly a care in the world. Now how irresponsible must that be!!

GT, Indeed, you should be ashamed of yourself. Me too! I'm thinking that you and I are probably the only two who have been on the water this week. The usual suspects prefer to waste their time scouring the web for any tidbit that will reinforce their biases. It's been 30 - 40mph here every day this week. Moderated today and good prospects for the weekend. Heading out again in an hour or so. 20 degrees F below average for the past week with more to come. Haven't decided if that proves global cooling or if it's just what happens from time to time.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
There's more news about climate change to ignore. First comes the revelation that much of the Great Barrier Reef has died from ocean het, 30 years ahead of predictions.

You really should do a little more research before posting.

From a CNN article:
Code:
There is a big difference between dead and dying.
Outside Magazine published a somewhat tongue-in-cheek obituary for the Great Barrier Reef earlier this week, citing its lifespan from 25 million BC-2016. The article detailed the life of the reef, its active membership in the ecological community, its worldwide fame and the coral bleaching that has led to its deteriorating health. "The Great Barrier Reef of Australia passed away in 2016 after a long illness. It was 25 million years old," read the article.

The obituary was met with horror and disbelief, both by scientists and social media users alike. Russell Brainard, chief of the Coral Reef Ecosystem Program at NOAA's Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center, told HuffPost that he believes the article was highlighting the urgency of the situation, but that those who don't have any context "are going to take it at face value that the Great Barrier Reef is dead."

Many people on social media are indeed taking it at face value. Twitter users have been grieving the loss of the reef and urging followers to pay serious attention to the consequences. Many are spreading false information entirely. Rowan Jacobsen, the writer of the obituary, is a food and environmental writer, not a scientist. But the article has led some outlets to claim that scientists have declared the reef officially dead, further spreading the exaggeration.

Recovery efforts

There's no denying that the Great Barrier Reef is in serious trouble. According to a report by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, 93% of the reef is affected by bleaching, putting the reef in danger of extinction. Bleaching occurs when coral are put under extreme stress by changes in conditions like temperature, light, or nutrients. In these conditions, they expel symbiotic algae from their tissues, causing them to turn white.

Scientists are increasingly worried that over-exaggerating the state of the reef will promote the idea that it is past the point of recovery. Professor John Pandolfi from the ARC Centre at the University of Queensland has expressed hope. "It is critically important now to bolster the resilience of the reef, and to maximize its natural capacity to recover." But the effects are serious and possibly permanent. "The reef is no longer as resilient as it once was, and it's struggling to cope with three bleaching events in just 18 years," he said.
The obituary lays blame on the Australian government, noting that the government pressured the United Nations to remove the reef from a climate change report because it was concerned about its impact on tourism. But on September 28, the Australian and Queensland governments released the first Reef 2050 Plan annual report, showing the $2 billion investment toward improving the reef's health for future generations is paying off. The plan has accomplished 29 of its 151 intended actions, though it notes that the recovery process needs to be accelerated if they want to continue to be successful.

Coral bleaching, fishing, mining, and burning fossil fuels have all contributed to the destruction of the reef over several decades. More than 2 million people visit it each year, and governments, scientists, and charities are working so future generations can continue to appreciate its beauty.

It's not dead yet, folks.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/us/barrier-reef-obit-trnd/index.html
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I saw that article--from last fall. The more recent articles talk about recovery in maybe 15 years--if we stop warming. But the very latest: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/science/great-barrier-reef-coral-climate-change-dieoff.html?_r=0

The capacity to selectively ignore information about threats must have somehow given humans a survival or reproductive edge--at some point before we knew much about science.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice to stop the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative program. Cant wait to windsurf in sewage and be able to liter again. I've been longing for the good old days.

Hopefully it’s coming to your beach as well.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of sewage and the disgusting habits of all sea dwelling wildlife, I'll certainly stick a cork up my anus and stop polluting the waters (until I explode, that is) if somebody can find a way of preventing marine life and sea birds from doing precisely the same thing.

Clearly nature (evolution) has decreed that is the norm, so it is not just we humans who shit in our own nest, so to speak. (Have you ever tried walking over a gannet colony without sinking knee deep in foul smelling claggy gannet poo?)

I regularly use a nature reserve group of islands which teems with huge seal colonies, masses of fish, and all types of rapacious 'white washing' sea birds. (The cliffs are artificially sprayed white.) Imagine how much waste is generated, so when have we ever been able to enjoy clear pure water, completely free of sewage!

Of course, industrial waste is a different matter, and nobody should disagree with you in that regard, but that wasn't quite what you said.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Meanwhile, I ashamed to say I've been windsurfing again today, with hardly a care in the world. Now how irresponsible must that be!!

GT, Indeed, you should be ashamed of yourself. Me too! I'm thinking that you and I are probably the only two who have been on the water this week. The usual suspects prefer to waste their time scouring the web for any tidbit that will reinforce their biases. It's been 30 - 40mph here every day this week. Moderated today and good prospects for the weekend. Heading out again in an hour or so. 20 degrees F below average for the past week with more to come. Haven't decided if that proves global cooling or if it's just what happens from time to time.

I was out this last week. I was going to head to OBX with friends until I saw the temps. I ended up sailing in bowling ball gusts on a small bay. The bay water is gross from all the birds, the marshy bottom soil, and storm water run off. I ended the session stepping on some glass...I guess someone like Bluefish longing for the good ol' times? I don't know about you, but I always walk away from the beach carrying garbage (not the kite boarding gear kind), and even spent one afternoon last summer filing up multiple garbage bags with plastic, bottles, and dog poo bags. Now I'm taking antibiotics because my puncture wound started to get infected. Thanks Bluefish....some of us do the right thing regardless of government policies.

Oh ya, and before that, I went sailing down wind / current of one of the newest state-of-the-art sewage plants. Yup, water smelled and tasted like poo. There's a great spot to sail here in the spring and we often do hero jibes on the far side, but don't blow the jibe and fall in because "Bird $hit Island" is not friendly to the water quality in that little bay.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't hear NP, Trump is gutting EPA programs. The asshole is defunding The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. Your beach (and mine) just got "great again". Who's the asshole?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
If you didn't hear NP, Trump is gutting EPA programs. The asshole is defunding The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. Your beach (and mine) just got "great again". Who's the asshole?

Did you hear about the 21 TRILLION IN DEPT?. In the real non public sector world cutting cost is a necessity not an option to pass on to the next generation. Just take some trash with you like NP and you will survive.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
bluefish1 wrote:

Did you hear about the 21 TRILLION IN DEPT?. In the real non public sector world cutting cost is a necessity not an option to pass on to the next generation. Just take some trash with you like NP and you will survive.

Matty...if you do budgeting for dummies on the back of an envelope, the only way to dent the long term debt trajectory is by chopping into entitlements programs, primarily healthcare. So, Trump is window dressing with all sorts of small ideological cuts to satisfy the Budweiser drinkers, and to stick it to his political adversaries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: